Working Remotely and Norton AntiVirus

We were having no problems connecting remotely, then we
installed Norton AntiVirus Software to our computers and
now we can no longer connect remotely. Does anyone know
what may have caused this and how we can fix the
problem? We have looked on the Support for Norton and
Microsoft to no resolution!

Thanks
9 answers Last reply
More about working remotely norton antivirus

    Misty wrote:
    > We were having no problems connecting remotely, then we
    > installed Norton AntiVirus Software to our computers and
    > now we can no longer connect remotely. Does anyone know
    > what may have caused this and how we can fix the
    > problem?

    Just to test - if you uninstall Norton on the host PC does it make the
    problem go away?

    We have looked on the Support for Norton and
    > Microsoft to no resolution!

    See if you can isolate the problem first. What version of Norton? Anything
    show up in the event logs?

    > Thanks

    Norton has been uninstalled and everything is back to
    normal with no problems connecting. We are using Norton
    Internet Security 2004. Nothing in the Event Logs.

    Thanks

    Norton firewall which is part of Interenet security is
    probally causing the problem. You can setup the
    connections which it allows access.

    Perhaps the Norton support pages may be of help...

    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/d4c5e22498a8619f88256b6c000ba435/d09aec3ec3d4cf5488256c6000823c88?OpenDocument&prod=Norton%20Internet%20Security&ver=2004%20for%20Windows%2098/Me/2000/XP&src=sg&pcode=nis&svy=&csm=no

    --
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    Misty wrote:
> [...]

    OK, NIS isn't actually the same thing as Norton Antivirus. It's a firewall
    as well. Try reinstalling it and disabling the firewall feature, then test
    again.

    > Thanks

    "Misty" <mpm.jkgco@catel.net> wrote in message

    In your original post you said you were using Norton AntiVirus, which would
    make no difference at all. Clearly, if you now say you are using the Norton
    firewall, then you must open the relevant ports to accept your incoming
    connections. What ports they might be depends on what "connecting remotely"
    in your post means.

    --
    Robin Walker
    rdhw@cam.ac.uk

    I realized that, but even if you turn the firewall off
    you are unable to access remotely.

    from connecting to the Computer to work remotely. I will
    try to reinstall and see what the result is. Also, thank
    you for being willing to help, and for not being rude in
    your posts to me. It is nice to know that there are
    still a few genuinely nice people in this world.
    Thanks
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    Misty wrote:
> [...]

    Hmmm. You're sure the Windows firewall is disabled too?
    Can you even ping the workstation by name/IP from another box?

    > I will
    > try to reinstall and see what the result is. Also, thank
    > you for being willing to help, and for not being rude in
    > your posts to me. It is nice to know that there are
    > still a few genuinely nice people in this world.

    <blushes> You're very welcome. And thanks for the compliment.

    > Thanks

Norton Microsoft Antivirus Windows XP