Solved

Switching CPU After installing Windows 8

Hello so I was wondering if I could switch processors after installing Windows 8 on a Samsung 830 128GB SSD. I would be switching from a Sempron 145 to a FX 6300 using everything the same. No changes, just the cpu. Would everything still run fine and would windows 8 detect the hardware automatically? Or should I wait and install Windows 8 when my other cpu comes?

Thanks.
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about switching installing windows
  1. There is no reason to reinstall your OS when switching CPUs unless you are going from a single core to a multi core processor
  2. Best answer
    unksol said:
    There is no reason to reinstall your OS when switching CPUs unless you are going from a single core to a multi core processor

In this case, that's exactly what's happening. The Sempron 145 is a single core CPU, whereas the FX 6300 is a 6 core chip. A reinstall would be needed.

@ speakerman

Wait until your new CPU arrives before moving over to Windows 8.
  3. Plus if you did the swap with windows 8 installed it may see the new cpu as a major hardware upgrade, and Invalidate your licence key in windows 8.
    As it is per machine setup, hardware spec tagged.
  4. weaselman said:
    Plus if you did the swap with windows 8 installed it may see the new cpu as a major hardware upgrade, and Invalidate your licence key in windows 8.

This will not trigger a reactivation by itself. Further hardware changes would be required before reactivation would be needed. A motherboard change is the only part that will single-handedly force reactivation of Windows.
  5. Alright, Thanks Ill wait ;)
  6. Best answer selected by speakerman9529.
  7. The_Prophecy said:
    weaselman said:
    Plus if you did the swap with windows 8 installed it may see the new cpu as a major hardware upgrade, and Invalidate your licence key in windows 8.

This will not trigger a reactivation by itself. Further hardware changes would be required before reactivation would be needed. A motherboard change is the only part that will single-handedly force reactivation of Windows.

Im going to upgrade my cpu and motherboard soon. Would i just need to re activate windows or have to re install windows? On windows 8 btw, and would be booting from same HDD
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Windows 8