Switching CPU After installing Windows 8

speakerman9529

Honorable
Oct 19, 2012
Hello so I was wondering if I could switch processors after installing Windows 8 on a Samsung 830 128GB SSD. I would be switching from a Sempron 145 to a FX 6300 using everything the same. No changes, just the cpu. Would everything still run fine and would windows 8 detect the hardware automatically? Or should I wait and install Windows 8 when my other cpu comes?

Thanks.

Solution

In this case, that's exactly what's happening. The Sempron 145 is a single core CPU, whereas the FX 6300 is a 6 core chip. A reinstall would be needed.

@ speakerman

Wait until your new CPU arrives before moving over to Windows 8.

In this case, that's exactly what's happening. The Sempron 145 is a single core CPU, whereas the FX 6300 is a 6 core chip. A reinstall would be needed.

@ speakerman

Wait until your new CPU arrives before moving over to Windows 8.

Solution

This will not trigger a reactivation by itself. Further hardware changes would be required before reactivation would be needed. A motherboard change is the only part that will single-handedly force reactivation of Windows.

DarkDubzs

Honorable
Jun 10, 2013

Im going to upgrade my cpu and motherboard soon. Would i just need to re activate windows or have to re install windows? On windows 8 btw, and would be booting from same HDD