hauppauge mpeg2 pvr cards for streaming server?

I'm wondering if the TV cards with MPEG2 decoders can be used with
Windows Media Encoder or Real Producer.

The reason I'm asking is that I am currently running streaming servers
using the good 'ole WinTV/PCI (BT878 chipset) cards and want to know if
WM and Real would work with PVR-*50 series cards.

One thing that's not clear to me is that from the picture of
PVR-150/250/500 there's no audio output to connect to the sound card as
in WinTV/PCI. How would WME and Real Producer get the audio input from
the PVR card?

..tjs
4 answers Last reply
More about hauppauge mpeg2 cards streaming server

    I meant to say these cards came with MPEG2 _encoders_, not _decoders_.

    I did a search on their web site and did not find any VFW or WDM drivers
    for these cards. I guess they are meant only for saving the MPEG2
    streams directly to files, and not for re-encoding to other streaming
    formats.

    Does anyone know how BeyondTV generates WM video format from these
    cards? Does BTV re-encode from MPGE2 to WMV?

    Todd Snyder wrote:

    > I'm wondering if the TV cards with MPEG2 decoders can be used with
    > Windows Media Encoder or Real Producer.
    >
    > The reason I'm asking is that I am currently running streaming servers
    > using the good 'ole WinTV/PCI (BT878 chipset) cards and want to know if
    > WM and Real would work with PVR-*50 series cards.
    >
    > One thing that's not clear to me is that from the picture of
    > PVR-150/250/500 there's no audio output to connect to the sound card as
    > in WinTV/PCI. How would WME and Real Producer get the audio input from
    > the PVR card?
    >

    > .tjs

    Never mind my original question. I found the answer I was looking for here:

    http://tinyurl.com/4532g

    So these cards with MPEG2 encoders cannot be used to stream to another
    format in real time. The reason is that there's no CPU fast enough to
    decode MPEG2 and encode to another format while producing decent quality
    streaming videos in real time.

    In article <v8Cdnaa7q_41JVjcRVn-vg@rcn.net>, nospam@nodomain.com says...
    > Subject: Re: hauppauge mpeg2 pvr cards for streaming server?
    > From: Todd Snyder <nospam@nodomain.com>
    > Newsgroups: rec.video.desktop
    >

    > Never mind my original question. I found the answer I was looking for here:
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/4532g
    >
    > So these cards with MPEG2 encoders cannot be used to stream to another
    > format in real time. The reason is that there's no CPU fast enough to
    > decode MPEG2 and encode to another format while producing decent quality
    > streaming videos in real time.

    Plus it would be a complete waste of time and money when you can buy
    cards that will encode to other formats natively if that's what you are
    after.
    --
    _________________________
    http://www.ramsays-online.com

    "Todd Snyder" <nospam@nodomain.com> wrote in message

    > Never mind my original question. I found the answer I was looking for
    here:

    > http://tinyurl.com/4532g
    >
    > So these cards with MPEG2 encoders cannot be used to stream to another
    > format in real time. The reason is that there's no CPU fast enough to
    > decode MPEG2 and encode to another format while producing decent quality
    > streaming videos in real time.

    This statement is not exactly true. MPEG-2 decoding can be fairly fast. If
    a 2Ghz P4 is fast enough to encode your streaming WMV, then a 3Ghz P4 is
    fast enough to do both. But the question is why? When you can buy a $30
    capture board that will take in YUV and avoid the MPEG-2 decode, there isn't
    much point.

    Basically I think they are using the "not fast enough" excuse to say that
    there are few people that need this as to not warrant putting the
    programming effort in to support it.

Tuner Cards Streaming Servers Graphics