creating opening album special effect

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 19, 2004 11:42:09 AM

I am trying to create a special effect in a video project I'm creating.
I have seen an effect where an album or book is pictured which opens up
and displays a still photo.
The still photo than becomes a movie segment.
Any ideas on how this effect can be created???
Thanks for your help!
December 19, 2004 4:54:33 PM

Seems like a clip of a single frame of the book; a page peel to a clip of
the fiirst frame of your video followed by the video should do it.

Stan.

<mouln@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I am trying to create a special effect in a video project I'm creating.
> I have seen an effect where an album or book is pictured which opens up
> and displays a still photo.
> The still photo than becomes a movie segment.
> Any ideas on how this effect can be created???
> Thanks for your help!

Anonymous
December 20, 2004 3:32:09 PM

Stan wrote:
> Seems like a clip of a single frame of the book; a page peel to a
clip of
> the fiirst frame of your video followed by the video should do it.
>
> Stan.
>
> <mouln@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > I am trying to create a special effect in a video project I'm
creating.
> > I have seen an effect where an album or book is pictured which
opens up
> > and displays a still photo.
> > The still photo than becomes a movie segment.
> > Any ideas on how this effect can be created???
> > Thanks for your help!

Unfortunately, using a standard page peel does not resemble the opening
of a photo album, as the typical photo album cover is a stiff membrain,
which would not curl like a page "peel".

I did something similar some years back with Premiere 5.1 to create a
book cover opening, in which the document was tall and narrow. Thus, I
had to start with the pamphlet closed and on the right half of the
frame. The left half was a background of blue sky and white clouds (in
motion.

Using the Premiere 5.1 motiion editing features, I rotated only the
right half slowly 90 degrees toward the viewer, with the left edge of
the cover remaining motionless. As it rotated, I stretched the right
end of the rotating cover vertically (equally in both up and down
directions). This gave the illusion of the edge of the page closest to
the viewer becoming larger and larger as it approached 90 degrees, just
as an actual book cover would look to the viewer as he or she opened a
book toward themselves.

As the cover opened to the left, it had to also uncover the printed
facing page, starting with the right edge and moving to the left as the
cover rotated left. Since the facing page was not moving, it was not
necessary to 'stretch" any part of it.

In my case, at the point where the rotating cover reached 90 degrees,
and was no more than a vertical line at the center of the frame, I then
had to exchange the image of the cover with an image of the image of
the back side of the cover page, so that as the cover rotated further
to the left, from 90 degrees to 180 degrees, the printing on the inside
of the cover would come into view. At the same time I had to decrease
the vertical length of the cover edge back to its original length, so
that when fully opened and lying flat, the height of the cover page
would be the same as original, but would now cover the left half of the
frame, covering the sky/clouds, and showing the writing on the inside
of the cover page, as well as the front side of the facing page.

I can assure you that although this explanation is complicated, the
actual process in the editor was FAR more complex, at least for me. I
was (and still am) a complete amateur video editor. In addition, I
accomplished it several years ago, and cannot begin to tell you all the
steps.

If, on the other hand, you need a "cover turn" for an album which
covers the entire frame, the process will be much simpler. The cover
will rotate the first 90 degrees and exit the visible frame. However,
it will still be necessary to "stretch" the right edge of the cover so
that the illusion of perspective as the right edge of the cover
approaches 90 degrees will be maintained.

The best way to accomplish this task is to turn an imaginary cover in
your 3-dimensional mind and think about the change in perspective as
the cover rotates toward your eyes, and then changes back as the cover
rotates back flat to the table. Then figure out which "motion" tools
are needed to accomplish the changes in perspective in 2-dimensional
video space.

Good Luck
!