With SP2, a VPN connection to a 3Com Superstack Firewall f..

Installed SP2 for my XP Pro laptop. From home I connect to the corporate
network over the Internet (ADSL) to a 3Com 3C16771 OfficeConnect
Internet Firewall DMZ.
This has worked before with XP Pro/SP1 using 3Com's application
3cxpvpn.hta. However, in SP2 I get an error when starting 3cxpvpn,
saying "This program can only be used by users with Computer
Administrator accounts. Please read the release notes."
This message is rubbish, I am logged in as the very same administrator
account that was used when installing XP in the first place.
Clicking the message away, I still try to connect (after supplying a
password), and then I get an error "Windows IPSec Command Utility
encountered a problem and needs to close".
Any idea what I can do to connect? (Except uninstalling SP2).
Best regards,
Randolph
1 answer Last reply
More about with connection 3com superstack firewall

    Heard from a guy that I also need to install Windows XP Support Tools SP2.
    "Download Windows XP Service Pack 2 Support Tools"
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?amp;displaylang=en&familyid=49AE8576-9BB9-4126-9761-BA8011FABF38&displaylang=en

    That solved the problem.
    However, I must disable the Windows XP firewall in order to be able to
    connect.
    Any idea of how I should set the firewall to work (what am I to exclude)?
    /Randolph

    "Randolph" <randolph@ahdp.se> wrote in message
    > Installed SP2 for my XP Pro laptop. From home I connect to the corporate
    > network over the Internet (ADSL) to a 3Com 3C16771 OfficeConnect Internet
    > Firewall DMZ.
    > This has worked before with XP Pro/SP1 using 3Com's application
    > 3cxpvpn.hta. However, in SP2 I get an error when starting 3cxpvpn, saying
    > "This program can only be used by users with Computer Administrator
    > accounts. Please read the release notes."
    > This message is rubbish, I am logged in as the very same administrator
    > account that was used when installing XP in the first place.
    > Clicking the message away, I still try to connect (after supplying a
    > password), and then I get an error "Windows IPSec Command Utility
    > encountered a problem and needs to close".
    > Any idea what I can do to connect? (Except uninstalling SP2).
    > Best regards,
    > Randolph

Connection 3Com Windows XP