access host hard drive

Dear all:
when I log onto my PC via remote desktop, I can simply share my local
hard drives- this way I can actually see my local hard disk on the host
computer. I was just wondering if there is a way to do the reverse: in
other words, is it possible to map or see the host's hard drive(s) on
the local pc instead?

thanks in advance.
al

No, unless you connect via VPN or other Local Area connection.

P.S. There is no need to share your local hard drive to make it available
in your RDP Session. When connecting to a Windows XP Pro or Windows Server
2003 machine via Remote Desktop Client with "Local Drives" checked, the RDP
session will automatically connect all of your local drives in your session,
whether they're shared or not.

Patrick Rouse
Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
http://www.workthin.com

"Alex Lee" wrote:

> Dear all:
> when I log onto my PC via remote desktop, I can simply share my local
> hard drives- this way I can actually see my local hard disk on the host
> computer. I was just wondering if there is a way to do the reverse: in
> other words, is it possible to map or see the host's hard drive(s) on
> the local pc instead?
>
> thanks in advance.
> al

reshmi
Dear all:
when I log onto my PC via remote desktop, I can simply share my local
hard drives- this way I can actually see my local hard disk on the host
computer. I was just wondering if there is a way to do the reverse: in
other words, is it possible to map or see the host's hard drive(s) on
the local pc instead?

thanks in advance.
> al

No.

If you have an SMB networking connection, such as a VPN, you can connect to
shared folders on the host drive, but I don't know a way to do this with
Remote Desktop Protocol alone.

You would find that direct file access over a slow network is.....slow.