Remote Desktop

I have followed the directions to change the listening
port for Remote Desktop and forwarded the ports on the
Router. The only computer that will allow a connection is
the default port of 3389. Adding :3390 to the address
still does not allow connection to the remote computer.
What needs to be done to allow Remote Desktop to acccess
different computers connected to the same router other
than port forwarding and changing the listening ports on
each of the computer?

Chad

May be silly question but did you reboot the host?

For remote desktop and NAPT you don't need to change the
listen port. The port forwarding directs the outside
port to the standard port of 3389. The remote address
you type in at your local machine your would look like
xx.x.xxx.xxx:3390. Yor port forward setup on the router
would be inside address (whatever you inside IP is),
inside port 3389, outside address 0.0.0.0 (unless you
have a static IP), outside port 3390. Keep the inside
port the same at 3389 and just change the outside port
and using NAPT port forwarding you can connect to
whatever computer you want by just changing the outside
port number.

See this page for help accessing multiple PCs behind a router with RD...

http://members.cox.net/ajarvi/RemoteDesktop/Multiple_PC_RD.html

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"John Kelley" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have followed the directions to change the listening
> port for Remote Desktop and forwarded the ports on the
> Router. The only computer that will allow a connection is
> the default port of 3389. Adding :3390 to the address
> still does not allow connection to the remote computer.
> What needs to be done to allow Remote Desktop to acccess
> different computers connected to the same router other
> than port forwarding and changing the listening ports on
> each of the computer?

Thank you for the fast reply. I will make changes
tomorrow.

Not silly but I didn't do the reboot.

Page was very helpful and added to my favorites. Site
has a lot of useful info. Thanks.

group for the mutual benefit of all of us...
>The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
confers no rights...

wrote in message
>>I have followed the directions to change the listening
>> port for Remote Desktop and forwarded the ports on the
>> Router. The only computer that will allow a connection
is
>> the default port of 3389. Adding :3390 to the address
>> still does not allow connection to the remote computer.
>> What needs to be done to allow Remote Desktop to
acccess
>> different computers connected to the same router other
>> than port forwarding and changing the listening ports
on
>> each of the computer?
>
>.

Thank you Everything is working fine now

Thank you. Page was very helpful and everything is
working fine now.

wrote in message
>>I have followed the directions to change the listening
>> port for Remote Desktop and forwarded the ports on the
>> Router. The only computer that will allow a connection
is
>> the default port of 3389. Adding :3390 to the address
>> still does not allow connection to the remote computer.
>> What needs to be done to allow Remote Desktop to
acccess
>> different computers connected to the same router other
>> than port forwarding and changing the listening ports
on
>> each of the computer?
>
>.

So what was your final solution? That information may help others...