Can't get color to match 8mm film being captured

I'm capturing some 8mm film using Pinnacle Studio8, WinXP, with a Sony
Handicam as my transfer unit, going into a Pinnacle DC10-Plus.

The overall process is going okay, but find that I can't get the color to
match what's on the conversion unit screen, which is excellent.

Some scenes come out better than others but in general I find that if I get
it to where the skin tones are okay, other things are off. What's most
prevalent is a purple cast, especially if there are neighboring surfaces in
the blue area. One example is a beach scene. The skin tones are decent, but
the sand, which looks fine on the projector screen, has a purple haze.

I've toyed with the input adjustments available on Studio but can't seem to
find a happy balance.

I made a short test DVD to see if it was just my monitor, but I see the same
issues on a tv screen when playing the DVD. However, running the camcorder
directly to a TV, the colors are pretty close to the original, so apparently
the issue is somewhere between the camcorder and the monitor.

Any guesses as to what the most likely culprit is? Is there software that
will correct this post-recording?

Thanks for any input.
2 answers Last reply
More about color match film captured

    "Doc" <docsavage20@Xhotmail.com> wrote in message

    > The overall process is going okay, but find that I can't get the color to
    > match what's on the conversion unit screen, which is excellent.

    I think I've solved my own problem. I find that backlighting with a 40-watt
    bulb placed behind and off to the side of the projector in a gooseneck lamp
    for some reason corrects the colors, along with some judicious tweaking of
    the color input controls. I'm coming dang close to the originals going by
    eyeball.

    Glad you found a way to fix it. Which should suggest to you that the problem
    is with the camera, not the software. You should be using a camera capable of
    manual white balance adjustment...set the white balance on a piece of clear
    film (if possible) in each segment. If not, set it on the projector light on
    the screen with no film present. Then tweak the color to your preference for
    each segment of film.

    >"Doc" <docsavage20@Xhotmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >> The overall process is going okay, but find that I can't get the color to
    >> match what's on the conversion unit screen, which is excellent.
    >
    >I think I've solved my own problem. I find that backlighting with a 40-watt
    >bulb placed behind and off to the side of the projector in a gooseneck lamp
    >for some reason corrects the colors, along with some judicious tweaking of
    >the color input controls. I'm coming dang close to the originals going by
    >eyeball.

    webpa

Tuner Cards Pinnacle Graphics