What's Best, NetOp Remort Ctrl, PC Anywhere, GotoMy PC or ..

September 23, 2004 5:36:47 PM

Hi Folks,

I have a client who wants remote access to one of their
LAN Win XP workstations. The LAN server is Win NT 4.0
workgroup Member Server, no static IP, DSL service, and
of course cost is a big factor, but speed will rule. Is
Windows Remote Desktop as fast as NetOp remote control?
What about security issues? Thanks in advance for your
help.

Jill
Anonymous
September 24, 2004 2:45:05 AM

I prefere RealVNC as Remote-Control. Let your client start VNC App
manualy.(dont run the service) It is the best security you can get.
http://www.realvnc.com/

"Jill G." wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I have a client who wants remote access to one of their
> LAN Win XP workstations. The LAN server is Win NT 4.0
> workgroup Member Server, no static IP, DSL service, and
> of course cost is a big factor, but speed will rule. Is
> Windows Remote Desktop as fast as NetOp remote control?
> What about security issues? Thanks in advance for your
> help.
>
> Jill

Anonymous
September 24, 2004 8:07:09 PM

You can do better, and still be using VNC.

Newer VNC variants support encryption plugins, and some support Active
Directory integrated authentication--UltraVNC, for example.

However, are you really saying that VNC is faster in your experience than
Remote Desktop? It certainly isn't more secure.

"Mathieu Vogt" <MathieuVogt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I prefere RealVNC as Remote-Control. Let your client start VNC App
> manualy.(dont run the service) It is the best security you can get.
> http://www.realvnc.com/
>
> "Jill G." wrote:
>
>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> I have a client who wants remote access to one of their
>> LAN Win XP workstations. The LAN server is Win NT 4.0
>> workgroup Member Server, no static IP, DSL service, and
>> of course cost is a big factor, but speed will rule. Is
>> Windows Remote Desktop as fast as NetOp remote control?
>> What about security issues? Thanks in advance for your
>> help.
>>
>> Jill

September 24, 2004 8:11:43 PM

Am I right in remembering that NT4 Server supports PPTP VPN access?

I don't have experience with NetOP remote control, but if you want gui
access, I believe Remote Desktop is as fast as anything else out there. It
also uses RC4 encryption, and the default keystrength in a connection to an
XP workstation is 128 bits.

If connecting over an untrusted network (i.e. the Internet), it is best to
tunnel within a VPN connection, for added security.

The speed issue should be easy to test--compare on the LAN between the two
products, and, ideally, also via a slow connection across the Internet.

I don't know what security features NetOP has.

"Jill G." <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Folks,
>
> I have a client who wants remote access to one of their
> LAN Win XP workstations. The LAN server is Win NT 4.0
> workgroup Member Server, no static IP, DSL service, and
> of course cost is a big factor, but speed will rule. Is
> Windows Remote Desktop as fast as NetOp remote control?
> What about security issues? Thanks in advance for your
> help.
>
> Jill
Anonymous
September 24, 2004 8:45:26 PM

In my experience VNC, I run UltraVNC, is slower than RD...

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote in message
> You can do better, and still be using VNC.
>
> Newer VNC variants support encryption plugins, and some support Active Directory integrated
> authentication--UltraVNC, for example.
>
> However, are you really saying that VNC is faster in your experience than Remote Desktop? It
> certainly isn't more secure.
>
> "Mathieu Vogt" <MathieuVogt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I prefere RealVNC as Remote-Control. Let your client start VNC App
>> manualy.(dont run the service) It is the best security you can get.
>> http://www.realvnc.com/
>>
>> "Jill G." wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Folks,
>>>
>>> I have a client who wants remote access to one of their
>>> LAN Win XP workstations. The LAN server is Win NT 4.0
>>> workgroup Member Server, no static IP, DSL service, and
>>> of course cost is a big factor, but speed will rule. Is
>>> Windows Remote Desktop as fast as NetOp remote control?
>>> What about security issues? Thanks in advance for your
>>> help.
>>>
>>> Jill

Anonymous
September 25, 2004 4:41:52 AM

Remote desktop would be my choice. Also see www.dyndns.org

Jill G. wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I have a client who wants remote access to one of their
> LAN Win XP workstations. The LAN server is Win NT 4.0
> workgroup Member Server, no static IP, DSL service, and
> of course cost is a big factor, but speed will rule. Is
> Windows Remote Desktop as fast as NetOp remote control?
> What about security issues? Thanks in advance for your
> help.
>
> Jill
Anonymous
September 30, 2004 12:56:10 AM

It does, but remember NT 4 prefers NetBEUI, so you need to remember to
setup TCP/IP...

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 16:11:43 -0400, "Bill Sanderson"
<Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote:

>Am I right in remembering that NT4 Server supports PPTP VPN access?
>
>I don't have experience with NetOP remote control, but if you want gui
>access, I believe Remote Desktop is as fast as anything else out there. It
>also uses RC4 encryption, and the default keystrength in a connection to an
>XP workstation is 128 bits.
>
>If connecting over an untrusted network (i.e. the Internet), it is best to
>tunnel within a VPN connection, for added security.
>
>The speed issue should be easy to test--compare on the LAN between the two
>products, and, ideally, also via a slow connection across the Internet.
>
>I don't know what security features NetOP has.
>

>"Jill G." <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> I have a client who wants remote access to one of their
>> LAN Win XP workstations. The LAN server is Win NT 4.0
>> workgroup Member Server, no static IP, DSL service, and
>> of course cost is a big factor, but speed will rule. Is
>> Windows Remote Desktop as fast as NetOp remote control?
>> What about security issues? Thanks in advance for your
>> help.
>>
>> Jill

Anonymous
September 30, 2004 2:45:44 AM

I do remember that, but setting up TCP/IP was always the first thing I did,
so now it is hard to remember that not everybody did it that way.

"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com> wrote
in message news:jspml0lhuus333ml9eu73lbk3ttmd79jkc@4ax.com...
> It does, but remember NT 4 prefers NetBEUI, so you need to remember to
> setup TCP/IP...
>
> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)

> On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 16:11:43 -0400, "Bill Sanderson"
> <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote:
>
>>Am I right in remembering that NT4 Server supports PPTP VPN access?
>>
>>I don't have experience with NetOP remote control, but if you want gui
>>access, I believe Remote Desktop is as fast as anything else out there.
>>It
>>also uses RC4 encryption, and the default keystrength in a connection to
>>an
>>XP workstation is 128 bits.
>>
>>If connecting over an untrusted network (i.e. the Internet), it is best to
>>tunnel within a VPN connection, for added security.
>>
>>The speed issue should be easy to test--compare on the LAN between the two
>>products, and, ideally, also via a slow connection across the Internet.
>>
>>I don't know what security features NetOP has.
>>

>>"Jill G." <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi Folks,
>>>
>>> I have a client who wants remote access to one of their
>>> LAN Win XP workstations. The LAN server is Win NT 4.0
>>> workgroup Member Server, no static IP, DSL service, and
>>> of course cost is a big factor, but speed will rule. Is
>>> Windows Remote Desktop as fast as NetOp remote control?
>>> What about security issues? Thanks in advance for your
>>> help.
>>>
>>> Jill

Anonymous
October 5, 2004 12:29:07 AM

And they did make it a pain... With reboots at every change... :(

I'm glad I have forgotten about NT4... Now it is still used for
Walmart POS self serv terminals (I had to have them reboot one when it
locked up on me at checkout)... I thought I went back in time...

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 22:45:44 -0400, "Bill Sanderson"
<Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote:

>I do remember that, but setting up TCP/IP was always the first thing I did,
>so now it is hard to remember that not everybody did it that way.
>
>"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com> wrote
>in message news:jspml0lhuus333ml9eu73lbk3ttmd79jkc@4ax.com...
>> It does, but remember NT 4 prefers NetBEUI, so you need to remember to
>> setup TCP/IP...
>>
>> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)
>> jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com
>>
>> Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the benefit
>> of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may not
>> be answered depending on time availability....
>>
>> Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
>> http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
>> Windows XP Expert Zone - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
>>
>> On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 16:11:43 -0400, "Bill Sanderson"
>> <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote:
>>
>>>Am I right in remembering that NT4 Server supports PPTP VPN access?
>>>
>>>I don't have experience with NetOP remote control, but if you want gui
>>>access, I believe Remote Desktop is as fast as anything else out there.
>>>It
>>>also uses RC4 encryption, and the default keystrength in a connection to
>>>an
>>>XP workstation is 128 bits.
>>>
>>>If connecting over an untrusted network (i.e. the Internet), it is best to
>>>tunnel within a VPN connection, for added security.
>>>
>>>The speed issue should be easy to test--compare on the LAN between the two
>>>products, and, ideally, also via a slow connection across the Internet.
>>>
>>>I don't know what security features NetOP has.
>>>

>>>"Jill G." <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
October 12, 2004 1:35:03 AM

There was a post about SBS 4.5 in relation to IE issues and support life
that I responded to having forgotten that SBS ran on NT 4 in that iteration.
How quickly we do forget!

"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com> wrote
in message news:o 4u3m0hmoi8hogkq8sj9jdarh88r4quo0d@4ax.com...
> And they did make it a pain... With reboots at every change... :(
>
> I'm glad I have forgotten about NT4... Now it is still used for
> Walmart POS self serv terminals (I had to have them reboot one when it
> locked up on me at checkout)... I thought I went back in time...
>
> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)

> On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 22:45:44 -0400, "Bill Sanderson"
> <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote:
>
>>I do remember that, but setting up TCP/IP was always the first thing I
>>did,
>>so now it is hard to remember that not everybody did it that way.
>>
>>"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com>
>>wrote
>>in message news:jspml0lhuus333ml9eu73lbk3ttmd79jkc@4ax.com...
>>> It does, but remember NT 4 prefers NetBEUI, so you need to remember to
>>> setup TCP/IP...
>>>
>>> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking & Smart Display MVP)
>>> jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com
>>>
>>> Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the benefit
>>> of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may not
>>> be answered depending on time availability....
>>>
>>> Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
>>> http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
>>> Windows XP Expert Zone - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone

October 13, 2004 8:11:34 PM

Jill,

I use WebEx access anywhere for working from home. If cost is a
factor, WebEx is running a promotion (
http://www.webex.com/go?accessone ) that you can use it for free until
2005. You may want to try it out.

Jason

"Jill G." <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<024701c4a1ad$0bb1eac0$a501280a@phx.gbl>...
> Hi Folks,
>
> I have a client who wants remote access to one of their
> LAN Win XP workstations. The LAN server is Win NT 4.0
> workgroup Member Server, no static IP, DSL service, and
> of course cost is a big factor, but speed will rule. Is
> Windows Remote Desktop as fast as NetOp remote control?
> What about security issues? Thanks in advance for your
> help.
>
> Jill
Anonymous
October 14, 2004 1:21:56 AM

Jason wrote:
> Jill,
>
> I use WebEx access anywhere for working from home. If cost is a
> factor, WebEx is running a promotion (
> http://www.webex.com/go?accessone ) that you can use it for free until
> 2005. You may want to try it out.

Webex is great stuff; I use it for remote client troubleshooting when I need
something interactive. For everything else, remote desktop - no additional
charge. Webex is pretty pricey.

> Jason
>
> "Jill G." <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> I have a client who wants remote access to one of their
>> LAN Win XP workstations. The LAN server is Win NT 4.0
>> workgroup Member Server, no static IP, DSL service, and
>> of course cost is a big factor, but speed will rule. Is
>> Windows Remote Desktop as fast as NetOp remote control?
>> What about security issues? Thanks in advance for your
>> help.
>>
>> Jill
October 15, 2004 11:01:21 PM

Jill,

The access anywhere pricing is cheaper than GotoMyPC. You don't want a
corporate rate. The new rate at http://www.webex.com/go?accessone is
for Prosumers and it is very competitive (14.95/month) with GotoMyPC
(19.95/month).

Jason

!