Loss of sharpness on transferred film due to camcorder opt..

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
December 20, 2004 2:53:56 AM

Related to a post I just made, upon transferring 8mm film to computer, I
find that I lose quite a bit of clarity from the original 8mm film.

I'm using a transfer unit with a translucent screen and a mirror that
appears to be at a 45 degree angle. I replaced the original translucent
screen plastic with .010 inch opaque white styrene which has essentially no
grain and I also find it all but eliminates the hot-spot. I've tried both a
Sony Handycam and an RCA model, both give essentially identical results from
what I can tell.

I've taken obvious steps such as making sure the camcorder lens and the
converter box mirror is clean and have been pretty obsessive about finding
*the* sharpest possible focus point the camcorder will allow. I find I get
a somewhat better image by projecting the image as small as I can get it to
still maintain a sharp focus with the projector, as opposed to recording an
image that fills the plastic screen. However, the final image on the tv
screen is still a far cry from the original.

I've taken footage with the camcorder that looks really crisp at least as
far as a consumer camcorder goes, so I know it's capable of producing a
pretty sharp image, so I'm wondering what the story is with capturing the
projected film.

Is it just because the image is expanding to TV screen size or are there
other issues at work?

Thanks for all input.
Anonymous
December 20, 2004 4:27:57 PM

Have you tried to cut out the middle-man? I use a piece of white cardboard
and put the camera next to the projector. This compensates for the slight
distortion caused by the screen not being exactly in front of the projector.
I also do not turn off the room lights, but just dim them. That reduces
some of the flicker. Manualy setting the Exposure Control seems to help
too!
Fred

news:o woxd.4336$Z47.3617@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net...

!