Ripping from personal DVDs

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

A while ago, I created some DVD's from my Analog recorder. With
my father's 85th birthday coming up, wanted to put together a
new dvd with extracts from these old ones. How do I get clips
off these dvds into a format i can manipulate with Premier
Elements? There are copyright protection issues here at all.

Thanks.

Dave

"Dave" <GA_Dude@no.spam.me.yahoo.com> wrote in message
>A while ago, I created some DVD's from my Analog recorder. With
> my father's 85th birthday coming up, wanted to put together a
> new dvd with extracts from these old ones. How do I get clips
> off these dvds into a format i can manipulate with Premier
> Elements? There are copyright protection issues here at all.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Dave

Hopefully someone can answer your question using
Premier Elements. I'm not familiar with that program,
but can describe what needs to happen and offer
another approach.

The MPEG data contained in the DVD's .vob files
must be extracted and rendered into fully independent
frames. These frames are then "encoded" as AVI or
some other low compression format.

As you may know there many issues that can arise
it each of the steps mentioned above. How each
step is handled will effect the outcome. Normally,
this would mean that each step should be done
separately, with the greatest control over each
process. Fortunately, there are some programs that
combine the processes and do a good job with little
loss.

Since this is essentially how a "Non-destructive
Editor" handles any input that is not in the editor's
native format; you could use such an editor to input
the MPEG video and edit in it's native format then
output as AVI. Some include an MPEG encoder
so that you can output as DVD compliant MPEG,
ready to be authored as a new DVD.

Most editors that I've seen won't work directly
with authored DVD video, so you need to extract
the MPEG data first. The most successful method
I've come across is to use the "Add DVD video"
feature in TMPGEnc DVD Author (TDA) to
create a folder containing sequentially numbered
..mpg files.

You would then feed these .mpg files to a Non-
destructive Editor. It may be that your Premier
Elements can work in this fashion. If not you
could try Magix Video Deluxe 2.0 Plus, I've used
it to add titling to MPEG video that I author with
TDA.

It looks like many of the features of the Movie Edit Pro
are in the Video Deluxe 2.0 Plus. If you Froogle on "Magix
Video Deluxe 2.0 Plus" you can find it for less that $15 US.
(I have seen it for $9.95) You could try that out and if you
like it, but want the new features, you could use an upgrade
discount. It might be that the 2.0 plus has all the features
you need.

Luck;
Ken

Dave wrote:
> A while ago, I created some DVD's from my Analog recorder. With
> my father's 85th birthday coming up, wanted to put together a
> new dvd with extracts from these old ones. How do I get clips
> off these dvds into a format i can manipulate with Premier
> Elements? There are copyright protection issues here at all.

This will involve converting from mpeg (the format of DVDs) to .avi,
then editing, then compressing back into mpeg.

Uncompressing and compressing like this will lose quality, use up
large amounts of disk space, and maybe take an hour or two -
and you may even hit the 2GB filesize problem along the way....

The quicker and better method is to keep it all in mpeg format,
and do the cuts with a program such as Ulead Movie Factory 2,
womble mpeg2vcr, or tmpgenc DVD Author

I use movie factory to edit dvd's made from my analog recorder -
removing adverts, and adding better menus - the whole process
for a 2 hour disk takes under half an hour (an hour including burn time!)

--
Mike

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 00:48:14 -0000, Dave
<GA_Dude@no.spam.me.yahoo.com> wrote:

>A while ago, I created some DVD's from my Analog recorder. With
>my father's 85th birthday coming up, wanted to put together a
>new dvd with extracts from these old ones. How do I get clips
>off these dvds into a format i can manipulate with Premier
>Elements? There are copyright protection issues here at all.
>
>Thanks.
>
>Dave

While others offer software solutions, I've found a solution in
hardware that seems to work pretty well.
I use Studio 9, with a Dazzle DC150, with a DVD player.
I go from the player to the Dazle to Studio, do my editing, then burn
on an internal DVD burner.
The loss from Digital to Analog and back again isn't very noticeable
in my case, and while a little time consuming, it worked first time,
and every time thereafter. I don't need to tweak at all.
Works for me.
--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"