Capture problem ADSTech Instant DVD+DV

Hello,

I have an older DirecTV/TIVO system with only AV and sVideo outputs. I use
an ADSTech Instant DVD+DV to convert the SVideo signal to capture to my
notebook thru USB 2.0

Most of my captures are of sporting events. The problem I have is that the
video doesn't play smoothly during action sequences. It is like a double
image of the parts in motion (hands/ball, etc).

When I capture from my Digital 8 camcorder or VideoTape through the
camcorder, the motion is fine so that is why I suspect the ADS capture
device. (I can't run the tv signal through the camcorder, I get a copy
protect error).

I also capture at 9.0 mb/sec which is what the device recommends for DVD.

Any advice on if this can be fixed or a better capture device?

Thanks

Allen

In article <Dsqxd.13266$_3.150325@typhoon.sonic.net>, alsdy@sonic.net
says...
> Subject: Capture problem ADSTech Instant DVD+DV
> From: "vb Al" <alsdy@sonic.net>
> Newsgroups: rec.video.desktop
>
> Hello,
>
> I have an older DirecTV/TIVO system with only AV and sVideo outputs. I use
> an ADSTech Instant DVD+DV to convert the SVideo signal to capture to my
> notebook thru USB 2.0
>
> Most of my captures are of sporting events. The problem I have is that the
> video doesn't play smoothly during action sequences. It is like a double
> image of the parts in motion (hands/ball, etc).
>
> When I capture from my Digital 8 camcorder or VideoTape through the
> camcorder, the motion is fine so that is why I suspect the ADS capture
> device. (I can't run the tv signal through the camcorder, I get a copy
> protect error).
>
> I also capture at 9.0 mb/sec which is what the device recommends for DVD.
>
> Any advice on if this can be fixed or a better capture device?
>
> Thanks
>
> Allen

What are you using to play back the video on your notebook?
--
_________________________
http://www.ramsays-online.com

I look at it on my computer with WinDVD. It is real noticable on the
television when it has been made into a DVD.
Sporting (action) events that I capture straight from Digital 8 (.avi file)
doesn't have any problems. I use the same video editing software
(EditStudio) and DVD authoring software (DVDLab) but the stuff I capture
with the ADS system looks bad. I don't see an option to capture in anything
other than the mpeg format.

Allen

"Chris Phillipo" <cphillipo@ramsays-online.com> wrote in message
> In article <Dsqxd.13266$_3.150325@typhoon.sonic.net>, alsdy@sonic.net
> says...
> > Subject: Capture problem ADSTech Instant DVD+DV
> > From: "vb Al" <alsdy@sonic.net>
> > Newsgroups: rec.video.desktop
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have an older DirecTV/TIVO system with only AV and sVideo outputs. I
use
> > an ADSTech Instant DVD+DV to convert the SVideo signal to capture to my
> > notebook thru USB 2.0
> >
> > Most of my captures are of sporting events. The problem I have is that
the
> > video doesn't play smoothly during action sequences. It is like a
double
> > image of the parts in motion (hands/ball, etc).
> >
> > When I capture from my Digital 8 camcorder or VideoTape through the
> > camcorder, the motion is fine so that is why I suspect the ADS capture
> > device. (I can't run the tv signal through the camcorder, I get a copy
> > protect error).
> >
> > I also capture at 9.0 mb/sec which is what the device recommends for
DVD.

> > Any advice on if this can be fixed or a better capture device?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Allen
> >

> What are you using to play back the video on your notebook?
> --
> _________________________
> Chris Phillipo - Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
> http://www.ramsays-online.com

In article <MjJxd.13461$_3.152486@typhoon.sonic.net>, alsdy@sonic.net
says...
> Subject: Re: Capture problem ADSTech Instant DVD+DV
> From: "vb Al" <alsdy@sonic.net>
> Newsgroups: rec.video.desktop
>
> I look at it on my computer with WinDVD. It is real noticable on the
> television when it has been made into a DVD.
> Sporting (action) events that I capture straight from Digital 8 (.avi file)
> doesn't have any problems. I use the same video editing software
> (EditStudio) and DVD authoring software (DVDLab) but the stuff I capture
> with the ADS system looks bad. I don't see an option to capture in anything
> other than the mpeg format.
>
> Allen

Well it sounds like an interlacing problem, I have never seen anything
from ADS so I don't know what options are available but try changing the
field order if it's available.
--
_________________________
http://www.ramsays-online.com

Thanks, I'll look at the options for interlacing.

ADS support suggested I capture at 4 mb/s instead of 9 and also to try
using the wizard.

I'll try all and see if there is a difference.

> In article <MjJxd.13461$_3.152486@typhoon.sonic.net>, alsdy@sonic.net
> says...
> > Subject: Re: Capture problem ADSTech Instant DVD+DV
> > From: "vb Al" <alsdy@sonic.net>
> > Newsgroups: rec.video.desktop
> >
> > I look at it on my computer with WinDVD. It is real noticable on the
> > television when it has been made into a DVD.
> > Sporting (action) events that I capture straight from Digital 8 (.avi
file)
> > doesn't have any problems. I use the same video editing software
> > (EditStudio) and DVD authoring software (DVDLab) but the stuff I capture
> > with the ADS system looks bad. I don't see an option to capture in
anything
> > other than the mpeg format.
> >
> > Allen
> >

> Well it sounds like an interlacing problem, I have never seen anything
> from ADS so I don't know what options are available but try changing the
> field order if it's available.
> --
> Chris Phillipo - Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
> http://www.ramsays-online.com

I've been out of town but I just recaptured with different capture rates as
suggested by ADS and created two dvd compliant files, one interlaced and one
deinterlaced. I used my video editing software to deinterlace. That way
the same captured video is going to be compared on the TV.

I made a DVD with both files and the deinterlaced file looks the way I want.

Now I'll redo the entire match versus the 1 minute test. If that proves to
be the problem, I'll have a lot of video to redo.