new to wireless - help!

I just recently switched to a wireless connection and I know I need to have
the WEP enabled. But everytime I do, my connection cannot be completed.
Does it have something to do with my firewall? Do I still need the WEP if I
have the firewall? I'm pretty ignorant about all this so any help is
appreciated.

Yes, WEP is a must regardless of the fact your running a firewall. Look at these pages for help
troubleshooting wireless connections...

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/support/wireless_encrypt.htm
http://www.warewolflabs.com/portfolio/programming/wepskg/wepskg.html

Post additional questions concerning wireless networking to the
microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless news group...

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

hightops wrote:
> I just recently switched to a wireless connection and I know I need
> to have the WEP enabled. But everytime I do, my connection cannot be
> completed. Does it have something to do with my firewall? Do I still
> need the WEP if I have the firewall? I'm pretty ignorant about all
> this so any help is appreciated.

It is not REQUIRED you use WEP unless your wirelss access point has WEP
enabled and in that case, you need to configure your WIndows XP client with
the same key you configured your access point with.

Perhaps this web page will help you:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=313242

--
<- Shenan ->