Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Video Editing Stop Motion Animation in Linux: HOW?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
December 20, 2004 5:38:48 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,comp.os.linux.advocacy,uk.comp.os.linux,rec.arts.animation (More info?)

Hi, bit of a tentative newbie post but interested in putting together a
machine for video editing - with Linux.

This is sort of what i do in windows with what i can get my hands on (at
work usually).

1) take a few hundred images on a C5050 camera
2) whack a USB connecter in and download from camera onto hardrive.
3) raname, and reduce size of images as a batch process(redress
levels/contrast etc a bit sometimes here). Using PHOTOSHOP.
4) record some stuff through my soundcard via a soundcraft mixer and AKG
mike i've cobbled together.
5) import the folder of images and the noises into AVID EXPRESS, edit
it, export large uncompressed .avi
6) throw avi into DESCREET MEDIA CLEANER and ask it for several flavours
of mgep, mov, avi, wmv
7) put kettle on/ go to pub
8) import folder

occasionally if there's a media composer or an adrenaline about i might
knock out something on a tape from the source images.


You can see a few clips at www.cowpat-film.co.uk
So, anyway - how would you approach that on a Linux platform. Having
read a lot of posts along the lines of 'this looks good but i haven't
tried it' I'm particularly interested in any user freeback as apposed to
a bunch of google hits.

Why change? I like free stuff, moreover I'm an old hippy at heart and I
like the underlying philosophy behind free. Note my 'product' - the
films - although not greatly useful, are also free! I'd to keep them
legal too.

Anyway thanks for any help you can send my way
- Michael

PS Cinelerra looks interesting, but will it run ok 'offline' if i
haven't got a dual 2gig system and can i get stills into it...? I assume
thats the 'render farm' mode...??

PPS Yes, I realise i can eliminate step 3 by taking the photos properly
in the first place - but still need good quality image manipulation for
mattes and titles, and the renaming is good too.
Anonymous
December 20, 2004 5:38:49 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,comp.os.linux.advocacy,uk.comp.os.linux,rec.arts.animation (More info?)

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 02:38:48 +0000, Michael wrote:

<snip>
>
> PS Cinelerra looks interesting, but will it run ok 'offline' if i
> haven't got a dual 2gig system and can i get stills into it...?

Yes, some people use it to edit home videos. For best performance with
projects like full length motion pictures you'd want a renderfarm of
course...

As for stills, yes, Cinelerra supports still images.



If you're doing high end video work, you might want to look into
CinePaint, it's a high end graphics editing app used for still images and
video images by the movie industry. It's also Open Source.
Anonymous
December 20, 2004 5:38:49 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,comp.os.linux.advocacy,uk.comp.os.linux,rec.arts.animation (More info?)

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 02:38:48 +0000, Michael wrote:

> Hi, bit of a tentative newbie post but interested in putting together a
> machine for video editing - with Linux.

Oh, you might also want to try MotionMage if you think Cinelerra is still
too heavy of an app. It's a dedicated stop motion animation app. It's not
OSS, but there is a freeware version, and the pay versions are inexpensive.
Related resources
Anonymous
December 20, 2004 5:38:50 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,comp.os.linux.advocacy,uk.comp.os.linux,rec.arts.animation (More info?)

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 21:18:02 -0600, Liam Slider wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 02:38:48 +0000, Michael wrote:
>
> <snip>
>>
>> PS Cinelerra looks interesting, but will it run ok 'offline' if i
>> haven't got a dual 2gig system and can i get stills into it...?
>
> Yes, some people use it to edit home videos. For best performance with
> projects like full length motion pictures you'd want a renderfarm of
> course...
>
> As for stills, yes, Cinelerra supports still images.
>
>
>
> If you're doing high end video work, you might want to look into
> CinePaint, it's a high end graphics editing app used for still images and
> video images by the movie industry. It's also Open Source.

And every single camera comes with software that blows the Linux versions
out of the water.

Your point?
Anonymous
December 20, 2004 5:38:51 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,comp.os.linux.advocacy,uk.comp.os.linux,rec.arts.animation (More info?)

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 22:19:06 -0500, flatfish+++ wrote:

> And every single camera comes with software that blows the Linux versions
> out of the water.

Oh yes flatfish, every camera comes with Windows software that handles
better than 16-bit color per channel like CinePaint, or is 64-bit capable
(but will still run on 32 bit) video editing software capable of editing
HD video for full length motion pictures like Cinelerra...And when it's
done, it jumps out of the CD-ROM drive, dances a jig, and gives you a
blowjob before wisking you away to a magical land made of chocolate.
Anonymous
December 20, 2004 10:08:11 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,comp.os.linux.advocacy,uk.comp.os.linux,rec.arts.animation (More info?)

Michael wrote:
> Hi, bit of a tentative newbie post but interested in putting together
> a machine for video editing - with Linux.
>
> This is sort of what i do in windows with what i can get my hands on
> (at work usually).
>
> 1) take a few hundred images on a C5050 camera
> 2) whack a USB connecter in and download from camera onto hardrive.
> 3) raname, and reduce size of images as a batch process(redress
> levels/contrast etc a bit sometimes here). Using PHOTOSHOP.
> 4) record some stuff through my soundcard via a soundcraft mixer and
> AKG mike i've cobbled together.
> 5) import the folder of images and the noises into AVID EXPRESS, edit
> it, export large uncompressed .avi
> 6) throw avi into DESCREET MEDIA CLEANER and ask it for several
> flavours of mgep, mov, avi, wmv
> 7) put kettle on/ go to pub
> 8) import folder
>
> occasionally if there's a media composer or an adrenaline about i
> might knock out something on a tape from the source images.
>
>
> You can see a few clips at www.cowpat-film.co.uk
> So, anyway - how would you approach that on a Linux platform. Having
> read a lot of posts along the lines of 'this looks good but i haven't
> tried it' I'm particularly interested in any user freeback as apposed
> to a bunch of google hits.
>
> Why change? I like free stuff, moreover I'm an old hippy at heart and
> I like the underlying philosophy behind free. Note my 'product' - the
> films - although not greatly useful, are also free! I'd to keep them
> legal too.
>
> Anyway thanks for any help you can send my way
> - Michael
>
> PS Cinelerra looks interesting, but will it run ok 'offline' if i
> haven't got a dual 2gig system and can i get stills into it...? I
> assume thats the 'render farm' mode...??
>
> PPS Yes, I realise i can eliminate step 3 by taking the photos
> properly in the first place - but still need good quality image
> manipulation for mattes and titles, and the renaming is good too.


A quick Google search on "video editing Linux" turned up the following
sites - and there are several more still that I didn't list here.

http://kino.schirmacher.de/

http://www.robfisher.net/video/

http://heroinewarrior.com/cinelerra.php3

Mike
Anonymous
December 20, 2004 12:21:08 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,comp.os.linux.advocacy,uk.comp.os.linux,rec.arts.animation (More info?)

Liam Slider <liam@NOSPAM.liamslider.com> writes:

> On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 22:19:06 -0500, flatfish+++ wrote:
>
>> And every single camera comes with software that blows the Linux versions
>> out of the water.
>
> Oh yes flatfish, every camera comes with Windows software that handles
> better than 16-bit color per channel like CinePaint,

That would be a bit pointless, since I don't know of a digicam that uses
any more than 14-bit, nor an affordable one that uses more than 12-bit, at
least in the compact / dSLR markets...

> or is 64-bit capable (but will still run on 32 bit) video editing
> software capable of editing HD video for full length motion pictures like
> Cinelerra...And when it's done, it jumps out of the CD-ROM drive, dances
> a jig, and gives you a blowjob before wisking you away to a magical land
> made of chocolate.

Well, I've used gimp and cinepaint on MacOS X for the last year for still
photographical work. It takes a heck of a lot of work to get a consistent
rapid workflow together, including a few shell-scripts to loop over source
images converting them to 16-bit tiff, to do poor-man's colour-management
with lcms, then loop again to run cinepaint to correct images, then
imagemagick to rescale down to final web size and embed display profile and
copyright info, and then jpeg utils to generate thumbnails (because
imagemagick generates 50k jpegs when <1K would suffice).

Photoshop blows the pants off all this screwing around, with camera
raw, healing brush (no gimp or cinepaint equivalent), colour variations,
ability to batch-convert down to web-sized jpegs embedding copyright text
as you go, having the whole concept of adjustment layers, etc, all in one
handy application.
When I upgrade to photoshop CS, I'll gain even greater control of the raw
conversion, better automation / scriptability.

Goodness knows why the Gimp doesn't fold-back the 16-bit mods from
cinepaint; that would be a vast improvement as it is, although I'm still
far from convinced it would make any serious rival except on cost grounds.

My planet isn't covered in chocolate so much as frost...

~Tim
--
Meet me at the ocean |piglet@stirfried.vegetable.org.uk
the sunrise meets the day |http://pig.sty.nu/Pictures/
on the hill |
Anonymous
December 20, 2004 12:21:09 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,comp.os.linux.advocacy,uk.comp.os.linux,rec.arts.animation (More info?)

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 09:21:08 +0000, Tim Haynes wrote:

<snip goalpost moving>
December 20, 2004 2:27:26 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,comp.os.linux.advocacy,uk.comp.os.linux,rec.arts.animation (More info?)

Liam Slider wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 02:38:48 +0000, Michael wrote:
>
>
>>Hi, bit of a tentative newbie post but interested in putting together a
>>machine for video editing - with Linux.
>
>
> Oh, you might also want to try MotionMage if you think Cinelerra is still
> too heavy of an app. It's a dedicated stop motion animation app. It's not
> OSS, but there is a freeware version, and the pay versions are inexpensive.

The problem I see with animation apps, those i've looked at on old Mac's
and PC's (I haven't looked in a while) is they focused on aquiring the
image as appossed to manipulating or editing them. As I'm shooting with
a stills camera anyway, and doing so outdoors (when the weather picks
up) i'm not sure it would be very useful.

Sounds like I won't be moving over to Linux in a great hurry, but i'll
read up on cinepaint and cinelerra...
Anonymous
December 20, 2004 2:27:27 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,comp.os.linux.advocacy,uk.comp.os.linux,rec.arts.animation (More info?)

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 11:27:26 +0000, Michael wrote:

> The problem I see with animation apps, those i've looked at on old Mac's
> and PC's (I haven't looked in a while) is they focused on aquiring the
> image as appossed to manipulating or editing them. As I'm shooting with
> a stills camera anyway, and doing so outdoors (when the weather picks
> up) i'm not sure it would be very useful.
>
> Sounds like I won't be moving over to Linux in a great hurry, but i'll
> read up on cinepaint and cinelerra...

Well, as I said in another reply, Cinelerra can still import still images
just fine. It works with them just as any film frame, so it should work
just fine for stop motion animation. And since Cinelerra is an editing
app, you should be able to do some damn fine editing. With CinePaint (or
even some other image editing application if you aren't picky, just
pointing to what Hollywood uses) to edit the images themselves as well,
you should be able to have a damn decent suite.

Also, you should consider other advantages Linux has over Windows for this
sort of work. You do not see too many high end animation, editing, or
special effect studios in Hollywood using Windows. They are all running
some form of *nix, often Linux. The reason being that Linux is simply far
more powerful, flexable, stable, and inexpensive. It's certainly worth
learning what's avaliable for Linux.
Anonymous
December 20, 2004 8:41:01 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,comp.os.linux.advocacy,uk.comp.os.linux,rec.arts.animation (More info?)

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Michael <michael.hartup@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is sort of what i do in windows with what i can get my hands on (at
> work usually).
>
> 1) take a few hundred images on a C5050 camera
> 2) whack a USB connecter in and download from camera onto hardrive.
> 3) raname, and reduce size of images as a batch process(redress
> levels/contrast etc a bit sometimes here). Using PHOTOSHOP.
> 4) record some stuff through my soundcard via a soundcraft mixer and AKG
> mike i've cobbled together.
> 5) import the folder of images and the noises into AVID EXPRESS, edit
> it, export large uncompressed .avi
> 6) throw avi into DESCREET MEDIA CLEANER and ask it for several flavours
> of mgep, mov, avi, wmv
> 7) put kettle on/ go to pub
> 8) import folder

I'm doing similar video animation work, and I've been able to
autmomate much of this process and greatly improve my work flow
by moving to linux. It means becoming familiar with a few
command line tools, writing a few simple scripts, and doing some
other work up front, but it paid big dividends in the long run.
Now, with the single click of a key, I download images from the
camera, resize and perform other transformations on each of the
images (using ImageMagik), and glue the images together into an
AVI video file ready for importing into Cinelerra (using
mencoder). I've even used ImageMagik to take frames grabbed
from an OpenGL program and make them look like a hand drawn
animation. Again, this was all 'automated' and required no
direct frame editing on my part.

And you do not need to abandon your favorite editing system to
take advantage of Linux in this way; just put it on a network
and have it output to a shared drive. Let Linux do some of the
early frame processing and give yourself more time to do the
real creative editing work in your Avid system or whatever.

--
Thad Phetteplace
http://www.AliensForBush.com - Geeky Political Humor
Anonymous
December 22, 2004 12:53:30 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,comp.os.linux.advocacy,uk.comp.os.linux,rec.arts.animation (More info?)

thad01@dexter.glaci.com wrote:
> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Michael <michael.hartup@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>This is sort of what i do in windows with what i can get my hands on (at
>>work usually).
>>
>>1) take a few hundred images on a C5050 camera
>>2) whack a USB connecter in and download from camera onto hardrive.
>>3) raname, and reduce size of images as a batch process(redress
>>levels/contrast etc a bit sometimes here). Using PHOTOSHOP.
>>4) record some stuff through my soundcard via a soundcraft mixer and AKG
>>mike i've cobbled together.
>>5) import the folder of images and the noises into AVID EXPRESS, edit
>>it, export large uncompressed .avi
>>6) throw avi into DESCREET MEDIA CLEANER and ask it for several flavours
>>of mgep, mov, avi, wmv
>>7) put kettle on/ go to pub
>>8) import folder
>
>
> I'm doing similar video animation work, and I've been able to
> autmomate much of this process and greatly improve my work flow
> by moving to linux. It means becoming familiar with a few
> command line tools, writing a few simple scripts, and doing some
> other work up front, but it paid big dividends in the long run.
> Now, with the single click of a key, I download images from the
> camera, resize and perform other transformations on each of the
> images (using ImageMagik), and glue the images together into an
> AVI video file ready for importing into Cinelerra (using
> mencoder). I've even used ImageMagik to take frames grabbed
> from an OpenGL program and make them look like a hand drawn
> animation. Again, this was all 'automated' and required no
> direct frame editing on my part.
>
> And you do not need to abandon your favorite editing system to
> take advantage of Linux in this way; just put it on a network
> and have it output to a shared drive. Let Linux do some of the
> early frame processing and give yourself more time to do the
> real creative editing work in your Avid system or whatever.
>
That's a bit more encouraging... if you don't mind me asking what spec
machine are you running Cinelerra on?

I'm going to put Debian 30r3 on a play machine tonight and start having
a play. I really don't think it's up to spec obviously, but i can start
having a tinker at least. I'm not brave enough to touch the work machine
with this yet... some serious backing up to do first, and as you say -
it would be good to work in parallel with the machines.
Anonymous
December 22, 2004 12:58:53 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,comp.os.linux.advocacy,uk.comp.os.linux,rec.arts.animation (More info?)

Liam Slider wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 11:27:26 +0000, Michael wrote:
>
>
>>The problem I see with animation apps, those i've looked at on old Mac's
>>and PC's (I haven't looked in a while) is they focused on aquiring the
>>image as appossed to manipulating or editing them. As I'm shooting with
>>a stills camera anyway, and doing so outdoors (when the weather picks
>>up) i'm not sure it would be very useful.
>>
>>Sounds like I won't be moving over to Linux in a great hurry, but i'll
>> read up on cinepaint and cinelerra...
>
>
> Well, as I said in another reply, Cinelerra can still import still images
> just fine. It works with them just as any film frame, so it should work
> just fine for stop motion animation. And since Cinelerra is an editing
> app, you should be able to do some damn fine editing. With CinePaint (or
> even some other image editing application if you aren't picky, just
> pointing to what Hollywood uses) to edit the images themselves as well,
> you should be able to have a damn decent suite.
>
> Also, you should consider other advantages Linux has over Windows for this
> sort of work. You do not see too many high end animation, editing, or
> special effect studios in Hollywood using Windows. They are all running
> some form of *nix, often Linux. The reason being that Linux is simply far
> more powerful, flexable, stable, and inexpensive. It's certainly worth
> learning what's avaliable for Linux.
>

Yeah, partly why i'm doing this is one day, professionally, i'm sure
i'll come across a system running on linux. I work in TV, not film - and
don't know of any Linux systems - but a lot of the Discreet stuff runs
on Unix. Heavyworks and lightworks run on DOS = as do the EVS multicam
things i do slowmo replays on...
Anonymous
December 22, 2004 12:58:54 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,comp.os.linux.advocacy,uk.comp.os.linux,rec.arts.animation (More info?)

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 21:58:53 +0000, Michael Hartup wrote:

> I work in TV, not film - and
> don't know of any Linux systems - but a lot of the Discreet stuff runs
> on Unix.


Actually Discreet's Smoke 6.5 runs on Linux as well, as a turn-key system.
In fact the Linux based system has brought the price down somewhat. I
expect Linux grow to be far more common in the TV industry because of this.
Anonymous
December 22, 2004 4:36:36 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,comp.os.linux.advocacy,uk.comp.os.linux,rec.arts.animation (More info?)

Liam Slider wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 21:58:53 +0000, Michael Hartup wrote:
>
>
>> I work in TV, not film - and
>>don't know of any Linux systems - but a lot of the Discreet stuff runs
>>on Unix.
>
>
>
> Actually Discreet's Smoke 6.5 runs on Linux as well, as a turn-key system.
> In fact the Linux based system has brought the price down somewhat. I
> expect Linux grow to be far more common in the TV industry because of this.

Hmmm, I didn't realise Smoke was on Linux. We don't have any of those in
OB's... but ok, it proves the point that one day I'm going to need to
know this stuff!

Another question, at risk of sounding stupid...
Which distribution of Linux would you suggest?

Personally i'm a rank amateur with the O/S stuff, but i've found
Mandrake was fairly straight forward to install last time i put my toe
in the water. (I did suggest i was going to try Debian somewhere in this
thread, but it was asking me too many questions for 1am).
Anonymous
December 22, 2004 4:36:37 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,comp.os.linux.advocacy,uk.comp.os.linux,rec.arts.animation (More info?)

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 01:36:36 +0000, Michael Hartup wrote:

> Liam Slider wrote:
>> On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 21:58:53 +0000, Michael Hartup wrote:
>>
>>
>>> I work in TV, not film - and
>>>don't know of any Linux systems - but a lot of the Discreet stuff runs
>>>on Unix.
>>
>>
>>
>> Actually Discreet's Smoke 6.5 runs on Linux as well, as a turn-key system.
>> In fact the Linux based system has brought the price down somewhat. I
>> expect Linux grow to be far more common in the TV industry because of this.
>
> Hmmm, I didn't realise Smoke was on Linux. We don't have any of those in
> OB's... but ok, it proves the point that one day I'm going to need to
> know this stuff!


Yeah, Linux has been pushing out Unix in the high end media development
areas for quite awhile now. And there's a quickly qrowing amateur and
small level professional capability too.

>
> Another question, at risk of sounding stupid... Which distribution of
> Linux would you suggest?
>
> Personally i'm a rank amateur with the O/S stuff, but i've found
> Mandrake was fairly straight forward to install last time i put my toe
> in the water. (I did suggest i was going to try Debian somewhere in this
> thread, but it was asking me too many questions for 1am).

Mandrake and Debian are both good, but also both very different distros.
mandrake is .rpm based, while Debian is...well, Debian, and thus the
origin of many Debian based distros. If you want Debian, but in an easier
to set up form, I'd suggest something like Libranet, Mepis, Knoppix, or
even Xandros.

Also, on the RPM based distro front, SuSE is also quite good.
Anonymous
December 22, 2004 3:31:19 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,comp.os.linux.advocacy,uk.comp.os.linux,rec.arts.animation (More info?)

Liam Slider <liam@NOSPAM.liamslider.com> writes:

> If you want Debian, but in an easier
> to set up form, I'd suggest something like Libranet, Mepis, Knoppix, or
> even Xandros.

Or these days even Debian if you go for Sarge. The installation is
quite simple now.

However I'd like to mention my favourite "workstation" Debian -
Ubuntu.

--
Richard Watson
Anonymous
December 22, 2004 11:09:46 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,comp.os.linux.advocacy,uk.comp.os.linux,rec.arts.animation (More info?)

Have you checked out the boards on http://www.animateclay.com ?

There are a lot of pointers there for doing digital capture on various
platforms. The C5050 is a good camera for it according to what I've
seen. Good luck!

-Samantha, a Mac animator. :) 

In article <cq5e3f$v8v$1@news.freedom2surf.net>,
Michael <michael.hartup@gmail.com> wrote:
>Hi, bit of a tentative newbie post but interested in putting together a
>machine for video editing - with Linux.
>
>This is sort of what i do in windows with what i can get my hands on (at
>work usually).
>
>1) take a few hundred images on a C5050 camera
>2) whack a USB connecter in and download from camera onto hardrive.
>3) raname, and reduce size of images as a batch process(redress
>levels/contrast etc a bit sometimes here). Using PHOTOSHOP.
>4) record some stuff through my soundcard via a soundcraft mixer and AKG
>mike i've cobbled together.
>5) import the folder of images and the noises into AVID EXPRESS, edit
>it, export large uncompressed .avi
>6) throw avi into DESCREET MEDIA CLEANER and ask it for several flavours
>of mgep, mov, avi, wmv
>7) put kettle on/ go to pub
>8) import folder
>
>occasionally if there's a media composer or an adrenaline about i might
>knock out something on a tape from the source images.
>
>
>You can see a few clips at www.cowpat-film.co.uk
>So, anyway - how would you approach that on a Linux platform. Having
>read a lot of posts along the lines of 'this looks good but i haven't
>tried it' I'm particularly interested in any user freeback as apposed to
>a bunch of google hits.
>
>Why change? I like free stuff, moreover I'm an old hippy at heart and I
>like the underlying philosophy behind free. Note my 'product' - the
>films - although not greatly useful, are also free! I'd to keep them
>legal too.
>
>Anyway thanks for any help you can send my way
>- Michael
>
>PS Cinelerra looks interesting, but will it run ok 'offline' if i
>haven't got a dual 2gig system and can i get stills into it...? I assume
>thats the 'render farm' mode...??
>
>PPS Yes, I realise i can eliminate step 3 by taking the photos properly
>in the first place - but still need good quality image manipulation for
>mattes and titles, and the renaming is good too.
Anonymous
December 24, 2004 2:24:34 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,comp.os.linux.advocacy,uk.comp.os.linux,rec.arts.animation (More info?)

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Michael Hartup <scaphoid@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> That's a bit more encouraging... if you don't mind me asking what spec
> machine are you running Cinelerra on?

I'm running on 2.8 GHz Pentium 4 system with Hyperthreading. It has
1 gig of RAM and 300 gigs of disk (two 150 GB drives) and a DVD burner.
It has a Creative Labs SB Audigy sound card, an NVidia graphics card
(I forget what kind), and an integrated IEEE 1394 Firewire controller.
I bought the system from Penguin Computing. It came with Red Hat Linux
9 installed on it. I've had no real problems with it except for the
need to upgrade my kernel from 2.4.8-13 to 2.4.26 in order to get the
FireWire support working. Kernel compiles and effects rendering both
fly on this box.

> I'm going to put Debian 30r3 on a play machine tonight and start having
> a play. I really don't think it's up to spec obviously, but i can start
> having a tinker at least. I'm not brave enough to touch the work machine
> with this yet... some serious backing up to do first, and as you say -
> it would be good to work in parallel with the machines.

I've managed to do video editing on a 700 Mhz Celeron box, though the
risk of dropping frames during DV capture/mastering while compiling
a kernel is much greater. :) 

Over the Christmas holiday I might install Linux on my Sony vio
picturbook. It is only 266 Mhz with 64 MB RAM and 4 GB harddrive,
but it does have an intergrated Firewire port, and I am curious to
find out if I can capture vid off of my Sony camcorder with it.

Cheers,
--
Thad Phetteplace
Anonymous
December 24, 2004 2:24:35 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,comp.os.linux.advocacy,uk.comp.os.linux,rec.arts.animation (More info?)

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 23:24:34 +0000, thad01 wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Michael Hartup <scaphoid@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> That's a bit more encouraging... if you don't mind me asking what spec
>> machine are you running Cinelerra on?
>
> I'm running on 2.8 GHz Pentium 4 system with Hyperthreading. It has
> 1 gig of RAM and 300 gigs of disk (two 150 GB drives) and a DVD burner.
> It has a Creative Labs SB Audigy sound card, an NVidia graphics card
> (I forget what kind), and an integrated IEEE 1394 Firewire controller.
> I bought the system from Penguin Computing. It came with Red Hat Linux
> 9 installed on it. I've had no real problems with it except for the
> need to upgrade my kernel from 2.4.8-13 to 2.4.26 in order to get the
> FireWire support working. Kernel compiles and effects rendering both
> fly on this box.
>
>> I'm going to put Debian 30r3 on a play machine tonight and start having
>> a play. I really don't think it's up to spec obviously, but i can start
>> having a tinker at least. I'm not brave enough to touch the work machine
>> with this yet... some serious backing up to do first, and as you say -
>> it would be good to work in parallel with the machines.
>
> I've managed to do video editing on a 700 Mhz Celeron box, though the
> risk of dropping frames during DV capture/mastering while compiling
> a kernel is much greater. :) 
>
> Over the Christmas holiday I might install Linux on my Sony vio
> picturbook. It is only 266 Mhz with 64 MB RAM and 4 GB harddrive,
> but it does have an intergrated Firewire port, and I am curious to
> find out if I can capture vid off of my Sony camcorder with it.
>
> Cheers,

Ditch the Audigy.
It's a noise generator.
Get an Maudio or RME card. If you have the cash RME is better.
The rest of your system is fine.
Seriously the difference between a Pro card and a toy is amazing.
Anyone can hear it with decent montioring system.
For monitoring I suggest Genelec or Mackie.
Event is good bang for the buck
A good NAD or Bryston amplifier will work wonders.
Good luck.
Anonymous
December 24, 2004 8:46:40 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,comp.os.linux.advocacy,uk.comp.os.linux,rec.arts.animation (More info?)

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 07:08:11 -0500, "Mike Kujbida"
<kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>> PS Cinelerra looks interesting, but will it run ok 'offline' if i
>> haven't got a dual 2gig system and can i get stills into it...? I
>> assume thats the 'render farm' mode...??

Cinelerra will run ok on a system that is lesser than the
requirements mentioned on their site. I can get things done on a 1 ghz
PIII with 768 mb under Mandrake 9.1.

>A quick Google search on "video editing Linux" turned up the following
>sites - and there are several more still that I didn't list here.
>
>http://kino.schirmacher.de/
>
>http://www.robfisher.net/video/
>
>http://heroinewarrior.com/cinelerra.php3

Also, has anyone worked with Jahshaka for single frame animation
assembly? It seems to be reasonably well featured, has HD support, and
perhaps it would be a bit easier to use than Cinelerra...

http://www.jahshaka.com/

Any info would be helpful. Thanks.

-Lazarian
Anonymous
December 25, 2004 4:06:23 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,comp.os.linux.advocacy,uk.comp.os.linux,rec.arts.animation (More info?)

On a sunny day (Fri, 24 Dec 2004 17:46:40 -0700) it happened Lazarian
<Lazarian@hotmail.com> wrote in <g1dps0ddf42fh3v0nqpgjhnj1s9u123ik0@4ax.com>:
> Also, has anyone worked with Jahshaka for single frame animation
>assembly? It seems to be reasonably well featured, has HD support, and
>perhaps it would be a bit easier to use than Cinelerra...
>
>http://www.jahshaka.com/

That site looks interesting, may play with it later.
If you want to do 3D animation, like perhaps games too, have a look at
Blender, http://www.blender.org/
I have made several short intro clips with it, it can output AVI.
JP
Anonymous
December 26, 2004 1:41:23 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,comp.os.linux.advocacy,uk.comp.os.linux,rec.arts.animation (More info?)

Jan Panteltje wrote:


> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Followup-To: news.admin.net-abuse.email
> Lines: 54
> Xref: news.netfront.net de.alt.test:50379 bit.listserv.test:3423
> rec.video.desktop:157513 comp.os.linux.advoc
>
>
>
> The REAL Jan Panteltje post with his own newsreader, NewsFleX:
> http://panteltje.com/panteltje/newsflex/
>
>
> And bad crossposting too!
>
> Faking Usenet posts is a crime, and can in some cultures be punished by
> broiling the offender in oil!!!!
>
> So, now get a real newsreader, your own newsserver, and better luck next
> time you are sober again.
> JP


what is going on here is a miscreant has got ahold of some scumware called
hipcrime news agent. this fool has been sporgeing these post through open
nntp servers & superceding legitimate post. then setting the followups to
the news.admin.net-abuse.email newsgroup in order to flood it & make it
unuseable.
this is most likely the act of a spanked spammer.
the best way to deal with this is not to reply to these post.
another good idea to prevent your own post from being superceded is to use
pgp encription on your news post.
--
It's a shame Linux has such difficulty running some of the more popular
Windows applications: Nimda, CodeRed, Klez, WPA, Swen, SoBig, ILOVEYOU,
MyDoom, Witty, Netsky, sober, Mimail, Dumaru......

Windows was created to keep idiots away from Unix.
Anonymous
December 29, 2004 10:07:32 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,comp.os.linux.advocacy,uk.comp.os.linux,rec.arts.animation (More info?)

Michael Hartup wrote:
> Liam Slider wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 11:27:26 +0000, Michael wrote:
>>
>>
>>> The problem I see with animation apps, those i've looked at on old
>>> Mac's and PC's (I haven't looked in a while) is they focused on
>>> aquiring the image as appossed to manipulating or editing them. As
>>> I'm shooting with a stills camera anyway, and doing so outdoors (when
>>> the weather picks up) i'm not sure it would be very useful.
>>>
>>> Sounds like I won't be moving over to Linux in a great hurry, but
>>> i'll read up on cinepaint and cinelerra...
>>
>>
>>
>> Well, as I said in another reply, Cinelerra can still import still images
>> just fine. It works with them just as any film frame, so it should work
>> just fine for stop motion animation. And since Cinelerra is an editing
>> app, you should be able to do some damn fine editing. With CinePaint (or
>> even some other image editing application if you aren't picky, just
>> pointing to what Hollywood uses) to edit the images themselves as well,
>> you should be able to have a damn decent suite.
>>
>> Also, you should consider other advantages Linux has over Windows for
>> this
>> sort of work. You do not see too many high end animation, editing, or
>> special effect studios in Hollywood using Windows. They are all running
>> some form of *nix, often Linux. The reason being that Linux is simply far
>> more powerful, flexable, stable, and inexpensive. It's certainly worth
>> learning what's avaliable for Linux.
>>
>
> Yeah, partly why i'm doing this is one day, professionally, i'm sure
> i'll come across a system running on linux. I work in TV, not film - and
> don't know of any Linux systems - but a lot of the Discreet stuff runs
> on Unix. Heavyworks and lightworks run on DOS = as do the EVS multicam
> things i do slowmo replays on...





Also have a look at the application I develop, LiVES:

http://lives.sourceforge.net

it has some quite advanced features, although it is still in early
development.

Regards,
Salsaman.
Anonymous
December 29, 2004 10:13:39 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,comp.os.linux.advocacy,uk.comp.os.linux,rec.arts.animation (More info?)

Samantha, the Dancing Net-Kook wrote:
> Have you checked out the boards on http://www.animateclay.com ?
>
> There are a lot of pointers there for doing digital capture on various
> platforms. The C5050 is a good camera for it according to what I've
> seen. Good luck!
>
> -Samantha, a Mac animator. :) 
>
> In article <cq5e3f$v8v$1@news.freedom2surf.net>,
> Michael <michael.hartup@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Hi, bit of a tentative newbie post but interested in putting together a
>>machine for video editing - with Linux.
>>
>>This is sort of what i do in windows with what i can get my hands on (at
>>work usually).
>>
>>1) take a few hundred images on a C5050 camera
>>2) whack a USB connecter in and download from camera onto hardrive.
>>3) raname, and reduce size of images as a batch process(redress
>>levels/contrast etc a bit sometimes here). Using PHOTOSHOP.
>>4) record some stuff through my soundcard via a soundcraft mixer and AKG
>>mike i've cobbled together.
>>5) import the folder of images and the noises into AVID EXPRESS, edit
>>it, export large uncompressed .avi
>>6) throw avi into DESCREET MEDIA CLEANER and ask it for several flavours
>>of mgep, mov, avi, wmv
>>7) put kettle on/ go to pub
>>8) import folder
>>



You can do all of steps 3-8 (OK maybe not 7 !) using LiVES.

Gabriel.
http://lives.sourceforge.net





>>occasionally if there's a media composer or an adrenaline about i might
>>knock out something on a tape from the source images.
>>
>>
>>You can see a few clips at www.cowpat-film.co.uk


You can see a few clips of mine, here:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~salsaman/lives/demos.html


Salsaman.
!