Password required to connect to desktp

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b D Laptop
October 23, 2004 2:47:02 PM

I have a laptop running W98SE connected via an SMS wireless broadband router
to a desktop runing WindowsXP SP1.

I have set up file sharing and can access the laptop files from the desktop
computer with no problems. Howver, when I try to connect to the desktop from
the laptop, I get a dialogue box telling me that I must supply a password to
make the connection. I did not specify a password when I set this up so have
no idea what it could be. The dialogue box indicates I am attempting to
connect to a resouce named: //computername/IPC$.

Anyone have a clue here??

Much appreciated.

Thanks

--
Jim McColl
October 24, 2004 12:30:10 AM

IPC$ is the default admin share.(windows system only)
make antother share of the harddrive.

mike

"Jim McColl" <JimMcColl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D 14375C3-6AE6-4BF7-9C5C-514CF73DE3FB@microsoft.com...
> I have a laptop running W98SE connected via an SMS wireless broadband
router
> to a desktop runing WindowsXP SP1.
>
> I have set up file sharing and can access the laptop files from the
desktop
> computer with no problems. Howver, when I try to connect to the desktop
from
> the laptop, I get a dialogue box telling me that I must supply a password
> make the connection. I did not specify a password when I set this up so
have
> no idea what it could be. The dialogue box indicates I am attempting to
> connect to a resouce named: //computername/IPC$.
>
> Anyone have a clue here??
>
> Much appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>

> --
> Jim McColl

---
a b D Laptop
October 24, 2004 12:30:11 AM

Thanks Mike - I am not a novice or anything, but also not a systems
administrator. Do you know what steps I would need to follow to maks another
share on the hard drive, or failing that determine what the IPC$ password is ?

Regards

"mike" wrote:

> IPC$ is the default admin share.(windows system only)
> make antother share of the harddrive.
>
> mike
>
> "Jim McColl" <JimMcColl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:D 14375C3-6AE6-4BF7-9C5C-514CF73DE3FB@microsoft.com...
> > I have a laptop running W98SE connected via an SMS wireless broadband
> router
> > to a desktop runing WindowsXP SP1.
> >
> > I have set up file sharing and can access the laptop files from the
> desktop
> > computer with no problems. Howver, when I try to connect to the desktop
> from
> > the laptop, I get a dialogue box telling me that I must supply a password
> > make the connection. I did not specify a password when I set this up so
> have
> > no idea what it could be. The dialogue box indicates I am attempting to
> > connect to a resouce named: //computername/IPC$.
> >
> > Anyone have a clue here??
> >
> > Much appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks
> >

> > --
> > Jim McColl
>

> ---

a b D Laptop
October 24, 2004 10:31:02 AM

I did some more research on the subject and found in Computer Management
where the Shares Folder is. Unfortunately, the only actions I am allowed in
this window are refresh or help.

I also searched in Regedit for IPC$ and found several occurances, but
nothing I could make any sense out of.

I am only running a 2 computer home network here on Windows XP home edition.
On my desktop XP,configuration, my daughter and wife are limited users and I
am the administrative user. I just installed a new hard drive and made the
mistake of allowing Best Buy to do the work which involved re-installing
Windows. Prior to this I had been able to connect to my home network with no
problems, until I installed SP2, when I lost it. I currently have Windows
with SR-1 and connectivity is fine. It's just this darn IPC$ problem which is
very frustrating. I wonder what could be different between now and when I was
able to connect before. In reading the "Help" on IPC$ it appears it is
necessary and there is no way to delete it, but why was it not causing me a
problem before.

I really would be gratefule if someone could tell me how to resolve this
problem .

By the way Mike there are 3 shares in the Share folder, but unless, I either
remove or rename IPC$ or find the password I need, I don't knopw how adding
another one. The other shares include the standard Shared Document folder set
up by Windows and a folder that I am trying to share.

Thanks Again

"mike" wrote:

> IPC$ is the default admin share.(windows system only)
> make antother share of the harddrive.
>
> mike
>
> "Jim McColl" <JimMcColl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:D 14375C3-6AE6-4BF7-9C5C-514CF73DE3FB@microsoft.com...
> > I have a laptop running W98SE connected via an SMS wireless broadband
> router
> > to a desktop runing WindowsXP SP1.
> >
> > I have set up file sharing and can access the laptop files from the
> desktop
> > computer with no problems. Howver, when I try to connect to the desktop
> from
> > the laptop, I get a dialogue box telling me that I must supply a password
> > make the connection. I did not specify a password when I set this up so
> have
> > no idea what it could be. The dialogue box indicates I am attempting to
> > connect to a resouce named: //computername/IPC$.
> >
> > Anyone have a clue here??
> >
> > Much appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks
> >

> > --
> > Jim McColl
>

> ---

October 25, 2004 12:33:59 AM

just go here & all will become clear:

http://www.homenethelp.com/web/howto/win2k-ipc-error.as...

> [...]
> >
> > "Jim McColl" <JimMcColl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > news:D 14375C3-6AE6-4BF7-9C5C-514CF73DE3FB@microsoft.com...
> > > I have a laptop running W98SE connected via an SMS wireless broadband
> > router
> > > to a desktop runing WindowsXP SP1.
> > >
> > > I have set up file sharing and can access the laptop files from the
> > desktop
> > > computer with no problems. Howver, when I try to connect to the
desktop
> > from
> > > the laptop, I get a dialogue box telling me that I must supply a
password
> > > make the connection. I did not specify a password when I set this up
so
> > have
> > > no idea what it could be. The dialogue box indicates I am attempting
> > > connect to a resouce named: //computername/IPC$.

---