Password required to connect to desktp

I have a laptop running W98SE connected via an SMS wireless broadband router
to a desktop runing WindowsXP SP1.

I have set up file sharing and can access the laptop files from the desktop
computer with no problems. Howver, when I try to connect to the desktop from
the laptop, I get a dialogue box telling me that I must supply a password to
make the connection. I did not specify a password when I set this up so have
no idea what it could be. The dialogue box indicates I am attempting to
connect to a resouce named: //computername/IPC$.

Anyone have a clue here??

Much appreciated.

Thanks

--
Jim McColl
4 answers Last reply

    IPC$ is the default admin share.(windows system only)
    make antother share of the harddrive.

    mike

    "Jim McColl" <JimMcColl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have a laptop running W98SE connected via an SMS wireless broadband
    router
    > to a desktop runing WindowsXP SP1.
    >
    > I have set up file sharing and can access the laptop files from the
    desktop
    > computer with no problems. Howver, when I try to connect to the desktop
    from
    > the laptop, I get a dialogue box telling me that I must supply a password
    > make the connection. I did not specify a password when I set this up so
    have
    > no idea what it could be. The dialogue box indicates I am attempting to
    > connect to a resouce named: //computername/IPC$.
    >
    > Anyone have a clue here??
    >
    > Much appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks
    >

    > --
    > Jim McColl

    ---

    Thanks Mike - I am not a novice or anything, but also not a systems
    administrator. Do you know what steps I would need to follow to maks another
    share on the hard drive, or failing that determine what the IPC$ password is ?

    Regards

    "mike" wrote:

    > IPC$ is the default admin share.(windows system only)
    > make antother share of the harddrive.
    >
    > mike
    >
    > "Jim McColl" <JimMcColl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I have a laptop running W98SE connected via an SMS wireless broadband
    > router
    > > to a desktop runing WindowsXP SP1.
    > >
    > > I have set up file sharing and can access the laptop files from the
    > desktop
    > > computer with no problems. Howver, when I try to connect to the desktop
    > from
    > > the laptop, I get a dialogue box telling me that I must supply a password
    > > make the connection. I did not specify a password when I set this up so
    > have
    > > no idea what it could be. The dialogue box indicates I am attempting to
    > > connect to a resouce named: //computername/IPC$.
    > >
    > > Anyone have a clue here??
    > >
    > > Much appreciated.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >

    > > --
    > > Jim McColl
    >

    > ---

    I did some more research on the subject and found in Computer Management
    where the Shares Folder is. Unfortunately, the only actions I am allowed in
    this window are refresh or help.

    I also searched in Regedit for IPC$ and found several occurances, but
    nothing I could make any sense out of.

    I am only running a 2 computer home network here on Windows XP home edition.
    On my desktop XP,configuration, my daughter and wife are limited users and I
    am the administrative user. I just installed a new hard drive and made the
    mistake of allowing Best Buy to do the work which involved re-installing
    Windows. Prior to this I had been able to connect to my home network with no
    problems, until I installed SP2, when I lost it. I currently have Windows
    with SR-1 and connectivity is fine. It's just this darn IPC$ problem which is
    very frustrating. I wonder what could be different between now and when I was
    able to connect before. In reading the "Help" on IPC$ it appears it is
    necessary and there is no way to delete it, but why was it not causing me a
    problem before.

    I really would be gratefule if someone could tell me how to resolve this
    problem .

    By the way Mike there are 3 shares in the Share folder, but unless, I either
    remove or rename IPC$ or find the password I need, I don't knopw how adding
    another one. The other shares include the standard Shared Document folder set
    up by Windows and a folder that I am trying to share.

    Thanks Again

    "mike" wrote:

    > IPC$ is the default admin share.(windows system only)
    > make antother share of the harddrive.
    >
    > mike
    >
    > "Jim McColl" <JimMcColl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I have a laptop running W98SE connected via an SMS wireless broadband
    > router
    > > to a desktop runing WindowsXP SP1.
    > >
    > > I have set up file sharing and can access the laptop files from the
    > desktop
    > > computer with no problems. Howver, when I try to connect to the desktop
    > from
    > > the laptop, I get a dialogue box telling me that I must supply a password
    > > make the connection. I did not specify a password when I set this up so
    > have
    > > no idea what it could be. The dialogue box indicates I am attempting to
    > > connect to a resouce named: //computername/IPC$.
    > >
    > > Anyone have a clue here??
    > >
    > > Much appreciated.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >

    > > --
    > > Jim McColl
    >

    > ---

    just go here & all will become clear:

    http://www.homenethelp.com/web/howto/win2k-ipc-error.asp

> [...]
    > >
    > > mike
    > >
    > > "Jim McColl" <JimMcColl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > I have a laptop running W98SE connected via an SMS wireless broadband
    > > router
    > > > to a desktop runing WindowsXP SP1.
    > > >
    > > > I have set up file sharing and can access the laptop files from the
    > > desktop
    > > > computer with no problems. Howver, when I try to connect to the
    desktop
    > > from
    > > > the laptop, I get a dialogue box telling me that I must supply a
    password
    > > > make the connection. I did not specify a password when I set this up
    so
    > > have
    > > > no idea what it could be. The dialogue box indicates I am attempting
    > > > connect to a resouce named: //computername/IPC$.

    ---

Laptops Connection Desktops Wireless Networking