Remote assistance with personal firewall

Is there any issue related to remote assistance to a novice computer with xp
personal firewall on ??. I open port 3389 for remote desktop as indicated in
ms web page, but it si not possible to offer assistance unless you turn off
personal firewall.

PD: Novice and expert computer are conneted to internet with SP1 and all hot
fixes applied. No SP 2 applied to any computer.

Thanks in advances.
4 answers Last reply
More about remote assistance personal firewall

    Armando Valdés wrote:
    > Is there any issue related to remote assistance to a novice computer
    > with xp personal firewall on ??. I open port 3389 for remote desktop
    > as indicated in ms web page, but it si not possible to offer
    > assistance unless you turn off personal firewall.
    >
    > PD: Novice and expert computer are conneted to internet with SP1 and
    > all hot fixes applied. No SP 2 applied to any computer.

    Remote Assistance and Remote Desktop are not the same thing.
    Especially where the firewall is concerned.

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=555179

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    Thanks for your help, but both computer are only with SP1 and hot fixes. SP2
    has not been applied.

    In reference to port 3389 for remote assistance you can check this link.
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/adminra.mspx

    Thanks.

    "Shenan Stanley" wrote:

    > Armando Valdés wrote:
    > > Is there any issue related to remote assistance to a novice computer
    > > with xp personal firewall on ??. I open port 3389 for remote desktop
    > > as indicated in ms web page, but it si not possible to offer
    > > assistance unless you turn off personal firewall.
    > >
    > > PD: Novice and expert computer are conneted to internet with SP1 and
    > > all hot fixes applied. No SP 2 applied to any computer.
    >
    > Remote Assistance and Remote Desktop are not the same thing.
    > Especially where the firewall is concerned.
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=555179
    >
    > --
    > <- Shenan ->

    You can *NOT* use the "offer" functionality in a work group environment only in a domain or trusted
    domain environment. Look at using Messenger, email or the file method of invitation...

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/remoteassist/intro.mspx

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q301529

    Its also possible you may need to modify the RCTICKET field in the invitation file...

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q300692

    --
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    "Armando Valdés" <Armando Valdés@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Is there any issue related to remote assistance to a novice computer with xp
    > personal firewall on ??. I open port 3389 for remote desktop as indicated in
    > ms web page, but it si not possible to offer assistance unless you turn off
    > personal firewall.
    >
    > PD: Novice and expert computer are conneted to internet with SP1 and all hot
    > fixes applied. No SP 2 applied to any computer.
    >
    > Thanks in advances.

    Thanks !!.

    All references points to use email, messenger o file assistance. However I
    have been able to offer remote assistance if the expert user corresponds to
    administrator on the novice computer and uses the same password. If these
    conditions are satisfied you can offer remote assistance without problem. I
    have also check the open ports when connection is stablished, and there are
    only the port 3389 and dynamic port ussually in range 3000 and over. What I
    do not understand is that if open port 3389 in novice computer why the
    connection is not open ??. Cheking references with SP2, I opened port 135 but
    without positive results.

    Thanks to all of you for your time and support. I appreciate that.

    Armando Valdés C.

    "Sooner Al" wrote:

    > You can *NOT* use the "offer" functionality in a work group environment only in a domain or trusted
    > domain environment. Look at using Messenger, email or the file method of invitation...
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/remoteassist/intro.mspx
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q301529
    >
    > Its also possible you may need to modify the RCTICKET field in the invitation file...
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q300692
    >
    > --
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    > "Armando Valdés" <Armando Valdés@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Is there any issue related to remote assistance to a novice computer with xp
    > > personal firewall on ??. I open port 3389 for remote desktop as indicated in
    > > ms web page, but it si not possible to offer assistance unless you turn off
    > > personal firewall.
    > >
    > > PD: Novice and expert computer are conneted to internet with SP1 and all hot
    > > fixes applied. No SP 2 applied to any computer.
    > >
    > > Thanks in advances.

Firewalls Computers Windows XP