XP SP2 - Wireless networking shows as disconnected when it..

As per the message - the taskbar icon and control panel show that i am
disconnected but i'm successfully picking up email and writing this
post. It also shows i'm disconnected when i am disconnected. Any
suggestions?

Rebooting sometimes solves it but if i go to standby and then reawaken
the laptop the status is nearly always wrong.

I have exactly this same problem. I've tried a Linksys 802.11B PCI card and
I've tried a Microstar USB adapter on the same machine and it doesn't seem
to make any difference. It was a fresh install of Windows XP SP1 with SP2
added and then the wireless installed. I can't figure it out.

Fred

"anthony james" <b33k34@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> As per the message - the taskbar icon and control panel show that i am
> disconnected but i'm successfully picking up email and writing this
> post. It also shows i'm disconnected when i am disconnected. Any
> suggestions?
>
> Rebooting sometimes solves it but if i go to standby and then reawaken
> the laptop the status is nearly always wrong.

Joe

In message <yFwfd.633$N23.167@newsfe6-gui.ntli.net>, Fred Dibnah
<fred@dibnah.com> writes
>I have exactly this same problem. I've tried a Linksys 802.11B PCI card and
>I've tried a Microstar USB adapter on the same machine and it doesn't seem
>to make any difference. It was a fresh install of Windows XP SP1 with SP2
>added and then the wireless installed. I can't figure it out.
>
>Fred
>
>"anthony james" <b33k34@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> As per the message - the taskbar icon and control panel show that i am
>> disconnected but i'm successfully picking up email and writing this
>> post. It also shows i'm disconnected when i am disconnected. Any
>> suggestions?
>>
>> Rebooting sometimes solves it but if i go to standby and then reawaken
>> the laptop the status is nearly always wrong.

Many XP wireless problems can be solved by turning off (stop the service
and set to manual start) the Wireless Zero Configuration service and
using the hardware manufacturer's configuration utility instead. Just
setting the wireless configuration not to use Windows to manage it is
not enough.

If the manufacturer's utility is not able to pick up the wireless
connection at boot, leave the Windows service on automatic but stop it
after booting. It seems to want to interfere with the connection at
intervals, frequently killing it completely.
--
Joe