XP SP2 - Wireless networking shows as disconnected when it..

As per the message - the taskbar icon and control panel show that i am
disconnected but i'm successfully picking up email and writing this
post. It also shows i'm disconnected when i am disconnected. Any
suggestions?

Rebooting sometimes solves it but if i go to standby and then reawaken
the laptop the status is nearly always wrong.
2 answers Last reply
More about wireless networking shows disconnected

    I have exactly this same problem. I've tried a Linksys 802.11B PCI card and
    I've tried a Microstar USB adapter on the same machine and it doesn't seem
    to make any difference. It was a fresh install of Windows XP SP1 with SP2
    added and then the wireless installed. I can't figure it out.

    Fred

    In message <yFwfd.633$N23.167@newsfe6-gui.ntli.net>, Fred Dibnah
    <fred@dibnah.com> writes
    >I have exactly this same problem. I've tried a Linksys 802.11B PCI card and
    >I've tried a Microstar USB adapter on the same machine and it doesn't seem
    >to make any difference. It was a fresh install of Windows XP SP1 with SP2
    >added and then the wireless installed. I can't figure it out.
    >
    >Fred
    >
    >"anthony james" <b33k34@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> As per the message - the taskbar icon and control panel show that i am
    >> disconnected but i'm successfully picking up email and writing this
    >> post. It also shows i'm disconnected when i am disconnected. Any
    >> suggestions?
    >>
    >> Rebooting sometimes solves it but if i go to standby and then reawaken
    >> the laptop the status is nearly always wrong.

    Many XP wireless problems can be solved by turning off (stop the service
    and set to manual start) the Wireless Zero Configuration service and
    using the hardware manufacturer's configuration utility instead. Just
    setting the wireless configuration not to use Windows to manage it is
    not enough.

    If the manufacturer's utility is not able to pick up the wireless
    connection at boot, leave the Windows service on automatic but stop it
    after booting. It seems to want to interfere with the connection at
    intervals, frequently killing it completely.
    --
    Joe

Wireless Connection Networking Wireless Networking