Remote Desktop Connection gets slower and slower, reboot h..

mikeb

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2003

We have a user that is connecting from home to her machine here at work,
Windows XP Pro SP1. When she first connects, the desktop experience is fine.
Over time - a day or so? - it becomes slower and slower to the point of being
unusable. We experience the same thing over our 1gb LAN connection to this
machine.

Is there something I can monitor, adjust, or narrow down to help this?

Thanks, in advance, for your help!
Mike

Is your "full-speed" connection restored when you restart the machine? If so
then when she connects w/ RDC she should be able to restart her remote
machine (office) from home, wait a few minutes, and then log back in to her
remote machine from home. Or she could restart the machine at the end of the
work day and log back in w/ RDC the next morning.

"MikeB" wrote:

> We have a user that is connecting from home to her machine here at work,
> Windows XP Pro SP1. When she first connects, the desktop experience is fine.
> Over time - a day or so? - it becomes slower and slower to the point of being
> unusable. We experience the same thing over our 1gb LAN connection to this
> machine.
>
> Is there something I can monitor, adjust, or narrow down to help this?
>
> Thanks, in advance, for your help!
> Mike

Your description doesn't exactly match this issue, but you might check this
reference:

;811080]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];811080

This is fixed in SP2, fwiw.

I'm not sure I'm recalling correctly, but this may coincide with the SMS
client being active on the host machine--does that fit?

"MikeB" <MikeB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We have a user that is connecting from home to her machine here at work,
> Windows XP Pro SP1. When she first connects, the desktop experience is
> fine.
> Over time - a day or so? - it becomes slower and slower to the point of
> being
> unusable. We experience the same thing over our 1gb LAN connection to this
> machine.
>
> Is there something I can monitor, adjust, or narrow down to help this?
>
> Thanks, in advance, for your help!
> Mike

mikeb

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2003

We're going to Ghost the machine, give it SP2 and see if that helps. When you
reference the SMS client (which this machine has), what problems are you
talking about?

"Bill Sanderson" wrote:

> Your description doesn't exactly match this issue, but you might check this
> reference:
>
> ;811080]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];811080
>
> This is fixed in SP2, fwiw.
>
> I'm not sure I'm recalling correctly, but this may coincide with the SMS
> client being active on the host machine--does that fit?
>
> "MikeB" <MikeB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > We have a user that is connecting from home to her machine here at work,
> > Windows XP Pro SP1. When she first connects, the desktop experience is
> > fine.
> > Over time - a day or so? - it becomes slower and slower to the point of
> > being
> > unusable. We experience the same thing over our 1gb LAN connection to this
> > machine.
> >
> > Is there something I can monitor, adjust, or narrow down to help this?
> >
> > Thanks, in advance, for your help!
> > Mike

Sorry for the delay---in the KB article about that patch, last paragraph of
"more information" - they note that the issue is caused by particular
program calls, which are done by the SMS client, as well, perhaps as other
software not mentioned.