capturing with pcmcia 1394 on a laptop?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b D Laptop
December 21, 2004 7:15:19 PM

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience with DV capturing on a laptop? I've seen
pcmcia firewire cards for as low as 20 euro. I'm wondering if I could
expect some reasonable capturing with one of those in my laptop.

My laptop is an HP NC6000 with a PIV mobile in 1.6ghz and 512 mb ram.

TIA!

--
Groeten/Regards
Jeroen Wijnands

Jeroen Wijnands a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone have any experience with DV capturing on a laptop? I've seen
> pcmcia firewire cards for as low as 20 euro. I'm wondering if I could
> expect some reasonable capturing with one of those in my laptop.
>
> My laptop is an HP NC6000 with a PIV mobile in 1.6ghz and 512 mb ram.
>
> TIA!

No problem if your hard disk has a lot of place and no fragmentation.
It's better to use with an external HD because of the big size of the
AVI files created by the DV capture (about 200 or 300 Mo/mn)
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 22, 2004 4:24:07 AM

Donald Link wrote:
> On 21 Dec 2004 16:15:19 GMT, Jeroen Wijnands
> <gebruiklieverhetreplyto@wijnands.xs4all.nl> wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >Does anyone have any experience with DV capturing on a laptop? I've
seen
> >pcmcia firewire cards for as low as 20 euro. I'm wondering if I
could
> >expect some reasonable capturing with one of those in my laptop.
> >
> >My laptop is an HP NC6000 with a PIV mobile in 1.6ghz and 512 mb
ram.

> >TIA!
>
> I think the speed of your hard drive might be a limiting factor. CPU
> and ram is okay. I know Pinnacle checks your hard drive to make sure
> it is fast enough. Most of the drives less than 7200 rpm will fail
> and dropped frames are a sure bet. Then again it depends on what
> hardware and software you are going to hook up with.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 22, 2004 7:23:41 AM

!