way around password protection for remote desktop

nina

Problem Description: We have Windows XP professional
installed. We are trying to use Windows XP's remote
desktop feature. We got it working however, it does not
work if the remote PC is not password protected. We
removed the password protection from the remote PC (PC we
trying to remotely connect to) and tried to connect it
remotely from another PC (Client PC), entered in the IP
address of remote PC and it prompts for remote PC's user
name and password but if there is no password protection
on remote PC how do we remotely log into that PC? Error
message it gives us is "Unable to log you on becausea of
an account restriction". Is there a way around this using
window XP remote desktop connection to log into remote PC
when it is not password protected?

Thank You,
Nina.

Nina wrote:
> Problem Description: We have Windows XP professional
> installed. We are trying to use Windows XP's remote
> desktop feature. We got it working however, it does not
> work if the remote PC is not password protected. We
> removed the password protection from the remote PC (PC we
> trying to remotely connect to) and tried to connect it
> remotely from another PC (Client PC), entered in the IP
> address of remote PC and it prompts for remote PC's user
> name and password but if there is no password protection
> on remote PC how do we remotely log into that PC? Error
> message it gives us is "Unable to log you on becausea of
> an account restriction".
> Is there a way around this using
> window XP remote desktop connection to log into remote PC
> when it is not password protected?

No.

By design.
And in this case - it's a good design in my opinion.
Otherwise - please - let me into your machine freely.

--
<- Shenan ->

These old thread may help with this issue...In general it is a BIG SECURITY RISK...

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&frame=right&th=c732fec59341edde&seekm=%23sb5GLfoCHA.844%40TK2MSFTNGP12#link1

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Nina" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Problem Description: We have Windows XP professional
> installed. We are trying to use Windows XP's remote
> desktop feature. We got it working however, it does not
> work if the remote PC is not password protected. We
> removed the password protection from the remote PC (PC we
> trying to remotely connect to) and tried to connect it
> remotely from another PC (Client PC), entered in the IP
> address of remote PC and it prompts for remote PC's user
> name and password but if there is no password protection
> on remote PC how do we remotely log into that PC? Error
> message it gives us is "Unable to log you on becausea of
> an account restriction". Is there a way around this using
> window XP remote desktop connection to log into remote PC
> when it is not password protected?
>
> Thank You,
> Nina.

There is actually a way around this, but as Shenan says--why would you want
to leave a machine in that condition?

If your issue is what happens as the machine starts up, consider using
TweakUI to set up an autologon. This eliminates the need for a user to put
in a password at startup, or restart.

Still a significant security risk--make sure the machine is physically
secured, and ideally, that the autologged on user is a limited user.

If you say a bit more about the intended usage, we might be able to make
better suggestions about what might work in your situation--but removing the
password requirement for network access isn't the first thing to try.

"Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote in message
> There is actually a way around this, but as Shenan says--why would you
> want to leave a machine in that condition?
>
> If your issue is what happens as the machine starts up, consider using
> TweakUI to set up an autologon. This eliminates the need for a user to
> put in a password at startup, or restart.
>
> Still a significant security risk--make sure the machine is physically
> secured, and ideally, that the autologged on user is a limited user.
>
> If you say a bit more about the intended usage, we might be able to make
> better suggestions about what might work in your situation--but removing
> the password requirement for network access isn't the first thing to try.
>
> "Nina" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Problem Description: We have Windows XP professional
>> installed. We are trying to use Windows XP's remote
>> desktop feature. We got it working however, it does not
>> work if the remote PC is not password protected. We
>> removed the password protection from the remote PC (PC we
>> trying to remotely connect to) and tried to connect it
>> remotely from another PC (Client PC), entered in the IP
>> address of remote PC and it prompts for remote PC's user
>> name and password but if there is no password protection
>> on remote PC how do we remotely log into that PC? Error
>> message it gives us is "Unable to log you on becausea of
>> an account restriction". Is there a way around this using
>> window XP remote desktop connection to log into remote PC
>> when it is not password protected?
>>
>> Thank You,
>> Nina.

My two cents
One Addendum to using Tweak UI as described ( I use it for this reason), set
Screensaver for very short time to activate (1 minute), make sure return to
Login Screen is activated. This also allows you to Ctrl_Alt-End to reboot
remote if necessary.