Runtime error on Remote Desktop

Hi,

I have a question (obviously)

I have a 2 computer network (Window XP sp1) at work for a Building Control
System. The remote machine is connected to the Building Control Network and
interfaces with control software that has graphics with real time info &
equipment command control (to turn equipment on & off, change setpoints) I
set up the second machine (client ) to access it through Remote Desktop over
a LAN, everything works well and fast. But when I click on a point to
command I get several errors

1-an unsupported operation was attempted

click OK

2-Microsoft visual C++ runtime library
Runtime error
Program C:\.............exe
Abnormal Program Termination

I'm wondering is it a Windows problem or a application problem?

Thanks
5 answers Last reply
More about runtime error remote desktop

    I'm not sure.

    The video driver used to capture the screen for RDP differs greatly from the
    normal video driver.

    My first thought would be that these errors are application related--and the
    best test of that would be to sit at the host machine and do the same
    operations. If you don't get those errors then, then I would change my
    mind!

    The second thought is that perhaps these errors come from video operations
    that are being attempted by the application that aren't appropriate for the
    RD drivers. I've never tried stuff that I didn't think would work, so I
    don't know what messages would arise.

    Again--the best test would be to compare results of like operations sitting
    at the monitor of the host machine, to the results over Remote Desktop.

    I'd like to know how this comes out?

    "Cable Guy" <1@one.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a question (obviously)
    >
    > I have a 2 computer network (Window XP sp1) at work for a Building Control
    > System. The remote machine is connected to the Building Control Network
    > and
    > interfaces with control software that has graphics with real time info &
    > equipment command control (to turn equipment on & off, change setpoints) I
    > set up the second machine (client ) to access it through Remote Desktop
    > over
    > a LAN, everything works well and fast. But when I click on a point to
    > command I get several errors
    >
    > 1-an unsupported operation was attempted
    >
    > click OK
    >
    > 2-Microsoft visual C++ runtime library
    > Runtime error
    > Program C:\.............exe
    > Abnormal Program Termination
    >
    > I'm wondering is it a Windows problem or a application problem?

    > Thanks

    Hi,

    Yes program works fine from remote machine.

    A little more info, we originally had the client machine loaded with the
    same program as the remote (host) and had it access the database over the
    LAN from the remote machine with a shared folder but it was SLOW. So I tried
    using remote desktop and got much faster results.

    Even though we are not launching the program on the client machine I wonder
    if its still running to some degree as a service, would that cause a runtime
    error?

    Thanks Again

    Nothing installed on or running on the client machine should interact in any
    way with the Remote Desktop session--except in terms of printer drivers, for
    example.

    Check the options settings to be sure that you are not redirecting any
    serial ports if those are used by the equipment which would be under
    control.

    I don't know the nature of the application, how it uses the network, or,
    indeed, whether there is a network connection still in effect between the
    RDP client and the remote machine. Uninstalling the control application
    from the client machine sounds appropriate to me.

    > Hi,
    >
    > Yes program works fine from remote machine.
    >
    > A little more info, we originally had the client machine loaded with the
    > same program as the remote (host) and had it access the database over the
    > LAN from the remote machine with a shared folder but it was SLOW. So I
    > tried
    > using remote desktop and got much faster results.
    >
    > Even though we are not launching the program on the client machine I
    > wonder
    > if its still running to some degree as a service, would that cause a
    > runtime
    > error?
    >
    > Thanks Again

    Hi,

    this is the software (Apogee) I'm trying to access

    http://www.sbt.siemens.com/bau/products/software/insight.asp

    I sent an email to their tech support to follow up on a phone conversation
    we had.

    "Here is where I'm at with remote desktop.
    I decided to try the remote desktop feature of XP to connect the 2 Apogee
    machines.

    First on the remote machine I went to,
    programs/Accessories/Communications/Remote desktop connection/Connect to
    client
    Right click My Computer/Properties/Remote tab/Allow users to connect/Select
    remote users

    Same thing on the client machine, both connect quickly.

    From the client I connect to the remote and launch Apogee, everything seems
    to work fine (graphics, system profile, even
    global commander) but commander causes error messages (listed below)

    Now when I go back to the remote machine and log on locally I get the same
    error messages (which I didn't get before) .

    I tried not sharing the database and still get errors, returned database to
    share.

    Then from the remote I connected to the client launched Apogee and commander
    worked (but very slow of course)

    I then undid all Remote Desktop connections but still get errors on remote
    machine.

    So now everything is back to the way it was but remote machine gets
    commander error

    ERROR MESSAGES

    Insight Commander

    The application commander cannot be navigated to

    a modal dialog might be open

    Click OK, nothing happens

    Commandr

    An unsupported operation was attempted

    Click OK and get

    Microsoft visual C++ runtime library

    Runtime error

    Program C:\insight\commandr.exe

    Abnormal program termination"

    Well that's it, I'm going to continue to research, would appreciate any help
    I can get

    Thanks

    Remote desktop shouldn't have any lasting effects at the host when the
    session is no longer connected.

    If you are still getting errors at the console of the host machine, I think
    this is a separate issue with this application, and not one related to
    Remote Desktop.

    I don't have any experience with this application, so I'm not going to try
    to guess what might be happening--I'd stick with advice from their tech
    support.

Remote Desktop Windows XP