XP Remote Desktop help

I am trying to configure my work/home computers to use
Remote Desktop. Both machines are running WinXP pro
without SP2. Work machine is behind a Gateway.2Wire
router/firewall, but port 3389 has been opened. Both are
using SBC DSL internet connection. Home computer has no
modem firewall. Both computers are using third party DNS
software to read the dynamic IP address, and no other
firewall software. My questions:

1. Do I need to set up a VPN connection between the two
computers first before using Remote Desktop?
2. Do both computers need to have user passwords for the
user to connect?
3. If I can "ping" one machine, why can't I achieve
TCP/IP connectivity?

Please feel free to email me with any assistance you can
provide.
2 answers Last reply
More about remote desktop help

    1) no--but it would add to the security of the connection.
    2) I can't add anything to Robin Walker's reply on this one.
    3) If you can ping, you have TCP/IP connectivity. The most likely issues
    beyond this are RD not being enabled at the host end, or the router and/or
    some firewall mechanism, not being properly configured to allow traffic on
    port 3389, TCP through to the destination XP Pro host machine.

    You can check the enabled or not issue by testing from another machine on
    the same LAN (work or home) as the machine you want to connect to.

    Triple check your forwarding arrangements, and also whether or not there are
    any additional software firewalls involved.

    "John Seemann" <John_Seemann@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I am trying to configure my work/home computers to use
    > Remote Desktop. Both machines are running WinXP pro
    > without SP2. Work machine is behind a Gateway.2Wire
    > router/firewall, but port 3389 has been opened. Both are
    > using SBC DSL internet connection. Home computer has no
    > modem firewall. Both computers are using third party DNS
    > software to read the dynamic IP address, and no other
    > firewall software. My questions:
    >
    > 1. Do I need to set up a VPN connection between the two
    > computers first before using Remote Desktop?
    > 2. Do both computers need to have user passwords for the
    > user to connect?
    > 3. If I can "ping" one machine, why can't I achieve
    > TCP/IP connectivity?
    >
    > Please feel free to email me with any assistance you can
    > provide.

    "John Seemann" <John_Seemann@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    >I am trying to configure my work/home computers to use
    > Remote Desktop. Both machines are running WinXP pro
    > without SP2. Work machine is behind a Gateway.2Wire
    > router/firewall, but port 3389 has been opened. Both are
    > using SBC DSL internet connection. Home computer has no
    > modem firewall. Both computers are using third party DNS
    > software to read the dynamic IP address, and no other
    > firewall software. My questions:
    >
    > 1. Do I need to set up a VPN connection between the two
    > computers first before using Remote Desktop?

    No.

    > 2. Do both computers need to have user passwords for the
    > user to connect?

    On the RD server, you need to configure which local accounts on that PC may
    use RDP logins. You would be foolish if those accounts did not have
    passwords set, otherwise anyone in the world could take over your work PC.
    On the RDP client, there are no special requirements on users and passwords,
    as it is the RDP server which does the authentication at RDP login time: the
    state of the client is irrelevant.

    > 3. If I can "ping" one machine, why can't I achieve
    > TCP/IP connectivity?

    There isn't enough information there to advise: what is the nature of your
    problem?

    --
    Robin Walker
    rdhw@cam.ac.uk