Building The Perfect PC (Windows XP) System for HD/SD Vide..

Hello,

Suppose you had $1500 to spend on a machine.

Whatcomponents would you put together, from motherboard to cards to
drives, to build your machine?

Thanks!

--
astro
astro's Profile: http://hdvideoforum.org/member.php?userid=1

    On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 04:42:10 -0500, astro <mcgucken@jollyroger.com>
    wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >Suppose you had $1500 to spend on a machine.
    >
    >Whatcomponents would you put together, from motherboard to cards to
    >drives, to build your machine?
    >
    >Thanks!

    Big drive times 2, at least 1 GB RAM, fast CPU.
    MOBO, case, etc. to hold the above.
    Really, that's it in a nutshell.

    --
    Bill Funk
    Change "g" to "a"

    > Suppose you had $1500 to spend on a machine.
    >
    > Whatcomponents would you put together, from motherboard to cards to
    > drives, to build your machine?

    Shuttle XPC SN95G5 + Athlon FX 64 CPU + 1+GB Corsair XMS Extreme RAM
    + dual 400GB HD (or quad 2.5" 100GB) RAID + ATI All-In-Wonder 9600 or
    higher video + 7-in-1 3.5" floppy drive & flash card reader (optional) +
    Pioneer A08 DVD burner (or Plextor 716A, but prefer two drives, one
    external, one internal) + hw render card for Premiere or whatever
    (optional).

    The Athlon 64 processor is cooler running than the Pentium 4
    Extreme's, and provide a decent price/performance buy on a budget.
    Dual/quad RAID for real-time running mirrored backups of your data
    (after all, a HD crashing in the middle of editing is bad. (And, let's
    assume you're using this machine for editing - not silly internet
    surfing and gaming! so it'll be relatively isolated - thus the need for
    offline backups is mitigated - otherwise, buy an external enclosure and
    backup to an external HD.))

    ATI AIW for video previews on a TV/broadcast monitor with the video
    out + built-in analog video capture for those times people give you
    analog tapes to edit. (or buy a camcorder with DV passthrough, or
    Canopus ADVC series box)

    1GB RAM for HD editing.

    Plextor A08 because it is the most stable, highest quality burner
    around and generally will make good burns on more media than other
    burners. Solid as a rock & reliable - which is what you'll want.

    HW render card for Premiere if you're using that because it'll save
    lots of time.

    ---

    Otherwise, an eMachines M68xx series Athlon 64 laptop.

    Else, a iMac 17" 1.8Ghz.

    wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >Suppose you had $1500 to spend on a machine.
    >
    >Whatcomponents would you put together, from motherboard to cards to
    >drives, to build your machine?

    Get down to CompUSA today and pick up a couple of their Seagate 400Gb
    8Mb Cache IDE drives for a bargain price of $199. Not the fastest
    drive by any means, but it's huge and cheap. It's an in-store only
    deal.

    http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=316153&ref=cj&pfp=cj

    --
    Owamanga!

    Recently did the research of building my own machine as I have since
    1994 but ran across a deal at Dell for the Dimension XPS gen 4 with
    3.8ghz (800mhz fsb) cpu, 320 mb raid 0 SATA, 1gb 533 ram, 2 DVD
    writers, XP Pro and others for ~1600 with free shipping. Monitor was
    extra. New Dell was cheaper than building my own by ~$500. Dell was
    a pain to work with but because of their shipping delay I received
    another $100 off putting the system at ~1500. Free printer is
    trash! System works great.

    The gouge is to google for "Dell deals coupons discounts" then find
    the 30% off that works with free 2 day shipping and when the system
    won't be delivered by the promised day because Dell is underestimating
    then bitch like hell to a manager for money off. Worked for me.....

    "old" computer was AMD 2100, 1 gb ram, 540 gb raid 0, plus others....
    was fastest in it's day about 2 years ago. I reduced my Premiere
    export time by 75% one hour now reduced to 15 minutes. REALLY!

    I can provide more specs. Checked tigerdirect, mwave, Dell, and
    others but Dell was the best deal. 1 year in home warranty....

    No I do not own stock in Dell but wish I bought shares 10 years
    ago....

    Can you tell me more about the "hw render card for Premiere or
    whatever"?

    What is your experience with the eMachine M68xx series with the Athlon
    64? Will it capture from firewire while saving on an external HDD on
    USB 2.0? Is the screen good enough for editing. Does it overheat? I
    heard it overheats. Is it fast enough? Does Premier work well with
    it? Did you have to buy it from Best Buy? thanks, Chebba

    On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 14:20:36 -0800, David Chien <chiendh@uci.edu>
    wrote:

    >> Suppose you had $1500 to spend on a machine.
    >>
    >> Whatcomponents would you put together, from motherboard to cards to
    >> drives, to build your machine?
    >
    > Shuttle XPC SN95G5 + Athlon FX 64 CPU + 1+GB Corsair XMS Extreme RAM
    >+ dual 400GB HD (or quad 2.5" 100GB) RAID + ATI All-In-Wonder 9600 or
    >higher video + 7-in-1 3.5" floppy drive & flash card reader (optional) +
    >Pioneer A08 DVD burner (or Plextor 716A, but prefer two drives, one
    >external, one internal) + hw render card for Premiere or whatever
    >(optional).
    >
    > The Athlon 64 processor is cooler running than the Pentium 4
    >Extreme's, and provide a decent price/performance buy on a budget.
    >Dual/quad RAID for real-time running mirrored backups of your data
    >(after all, a HD crashing in the middle of editing is bad. (And, let's
    >assume you're using this machine for editing - not silly internet
    >surfing and gaming! so it'll be relatively isolated - thus the need for
    >offline backups is mitigated - otherwise, buy an external enclosure and
    >backup to an external HD.))
    >
    > ATI AIW for video previews on a TV/broadcast monitor with the video
    >out + built-in analog video capture for those times people give you
    >analog tapes to edit. (or buy a camcorder with DV passthrough, or
    >Canopus ADVC series box)
    >
    > 1GB RAM for HD editing.
    >
    > Plextor A08 because it is the most stable, highest quality burner
    >around and generally will make good burns on more media than other
    >burners. Solid as a rock & reliable - which is what you'll want.
    >
    > HW render card for Premiere if you're using that because it'll save
    >lots of time.
    >
    > ---
    >
    > Otherwise, an eMachines M68xx series Athlon 64 laptop.
    >
    > Else, a iMac 17" 1.8Ghz.

    > What is your experience with the eMachine M68xx series with the Athlon
    > 64? Will it capture from firewire while saving on an external HDD on
    > USB 2.0? Is the screen good enough for editing. Does it overheat? I
    > heard it overheats. Is it fast enough? Does Premier work well with
    > it? Did you have to buy it from Best Buy? thanks, Chebba

    Don't have it anymore, but no problems capturing to internal HD
    (Which you can replace with up to the 100GB latest HD). Capturing FW to
    external USB should be okay on such a fast system (remember FW capture
    works fine on old 500Mhz PCs!), esp. since it works fine on my desktop
    setup.

    No overheating problems ever. Just don't stick it on a comforter, put
    it on a desk and you'll be fine.

    Screen is fine for editing. Could be high resolution like
    1920xwhatever ala some ultra-high-res. HP/Compaq/etc. customized laptops
    so you can see more, but if you're okay with any regular 15-17" LCD,
    then this will be fine.

    Didn't use Premiere, only Vegas Video. Works fine, no problems, fast
    enough to get the job done.

    Bought it from bestbuy on sale (as usual, good sales on eMachines
    notebooks).

    I appreciiate you taking the time for the answer,
    unfortunately/fortunately, I went ahead and bought the Dell XPS
    laptop. It was about a grand more. Please don't tell me bad things
    about my choice! thanks, Chebba

    On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 11:25:47 -0800, David Chien <chiendh@uci.edu>
    wrote:

    >> What is your experience with the eMachine M68xx series with the Athlon
    >> 64? Will it capture from firewire while saving on an external HDD on
    >> USB 2.0? Is the screen good enough for editing. Does it overheat? I
    >> heard it overheats. Is it fast enough? Does Premier work well with
    >> it? Did you have to buy it from Best Buy? thanks, Chebba
    >
    > Don't have it anymore, but no problems capturing to internal HD
    >(Which you can replace with up to the 100GB latest HD). Capturing FW to
    >external USB should be okay on such a fast system (remember FW capture
    >works fine on old 500Mhz PCs!), esp. since it works fine on my desktop
    >setup.
    >
    > No overheating problems ever. Just don't stick it on a comforter, put
    >it on a desk and you'll be fine.
    >
    > Screen is fine for editing. Could be high resolution like
    >1920xwhatever ala some ultra-high-res. HP/Compaq/etc. customized laptops
    >so you can see more, but if you're okay with any regular 15-17" LCD,
    >then this will be fine.
    >
    > Didn't use Premiere, only Vegas Video. Works fine, no problems, fast
    >enough to get the job done.
    >
    > Bought it from bestbuy on sale (as usual, good sales on eMachines
    >notebooks).

    Good choice!!!

    On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 01:18:17 GMT, chebba@hbci.com wrote:

    >I appreciiate you taking the time for the answer,
    >unfortunately/fortunately, I went ahead and bought the Dell XPS
    >laptop. It was about a grand more. Please don't tell me bad things
    >about my choice! thanks, Chebba
    >
    >On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 11:25:47 -0800, David Chien <chiendh@uci.edu>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>> What is your experience with the eMachine M68xx series with the Athlon
    >>> 64? Will it capture from firewire while saving on an external HDD on
    >>> USB 2.0? Is the screen good enough for editing. Does it overheat? I
    >>> heard it overheats. Is it fast enough? Does Premier work well with
    >>> it? Did you have to buy it from Best Buy? thanks, Chebba
    >>
    >> Don't have it anymore, but no problems capturing to internal HD
    >>(Which you can replace with up to the 100GB latest HD). Capturing FW to
    >>external USB should be okay on such a fast system (remember FW capture
    >>works fine on old 500Mhz PCs!), esp. since it works fine on my desktop
    >>setup.
    >>
    >> No overheating problems ever. Just don't stick it on a comforter, put
    >>it on a desk and you'll be fine.
    >>
    >> Screen is fine for editing. Could be high resolution like
    >>1920xwhatever ala some ultra-high-res. HP/Compaq/etc. customized laptops
    >>so you can see more, but if you're okay with any regular 15-17" LCD,
    >>then this will be fine.
    >>
    >> Didn't use Premiere, only Vegas Video. Works fine, no problems, fast
    >>enough to get the job done.
    >>
    >> Bought it from bestbuy on sale (as usual, good sales on eMachines
    >>notebooks).

Tuner Cards HD Windows XP Graphics