How to change soundtrack on DVD?

I made a DVD from 2 AVI files (each 45 mins long). I'd converted the
AVIs to separate MPEG2 video and AC3 audio files, and authored the DVD.

Subsequently, and after deleting the source AVI and video files, I
realized that I'd messed up and put the same AC3 file with both video
files. So now I have both AC3 files, and the DVD.

I can't figure out a way to replace the audio on the DVD with the
correct AC3. I tried using Vobedit, to demux the audio and video
streams from the VOB files. The result of this is one huge MPEG2 + one
huge AC3 file. I could probably figure out a way of splitting the
MPEG2 file, but the chances of syncing the audio with the video will be
nil.

Anyone have any good suggestions here?

Jan Panteltje wrote:
> On a sunny day (22 Dec 2004 06:01:14 -0800) it happened "stankley"
> <pstankley@hotmail.com> wrote in
> <1103724074.260624.36700@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>:
>
> >I made a DVD from 2 AVI files (each 45 mins long). I'd converted
the
> >AVIs to separate MPEG2 video and AC3 audio files, and authored the
DVD.

> >Subsequently, and after deleting the source AVI and video files, I
> >realized that I'd messed up and put the same AC3 file with both
video
> >files. So now I have both AC3 files, and the DVD.
> >
> >I can't figure out a way to replace the audio on the DVD with the
> >correct AC3. I tried using Vobedit, to demux the audio and video
> >streams from the VOB files. The result of this is one huge MPEG2 +
one
> >huge AC3 file. I could probably figure out a way of splitting the
> >MPEG2 file, but the chances of syncing the audio with the video will
be
> >nil.
> >
> >Anyone have any good suggestions here?
> You should have used Linux transcode.
> It is of cause possible to remux the ac3, see tcmplex-panteltje on my
page:
> http://panteltje.com/panteltje/dvd/
> or you can use mplex from mjpegtools.
> What makes you think timing has changed?
> If no frames were dropped it should still be OK?

I'm not saying the timing is changed - what I'm suggesting is that I
chop the MPEG2 (created by Vobedit) in the middle, to create 2 separate
..m2v files, then reauthor with the 2 ac3 files, it's highly unlikely
that my chop will have been frame-perfect, so that the 2nd part of the
movie aligns exactly with the 2nd ac3 file.

"stankley" <pstankley@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I made a DVD from 2 AVI files (each 45 mins long). I'd converted the
> AVIs to separate MPEG2 video and AC3 audio files, and authored the DVD.
>
> Subsequently, and after deleting the source AVI and video files, I
> realized that I'd messed up and put the same AC3 file with both video
> files. So now I have both AC3 files, and the DVD.
>
> I can't figure out a way to replace the audio on the DVD with the
> correct AC3. I tried using Vobedit, to demux the audio and video
> streams from the VOB files. The result of this is one huge MPEG2 + one
> huge AC3 file. I could probably figure out a way of splitting the
> MPEG2 file, but the chances of syncing the audio with the video will be
> nil.
>
> Anyone have any good suggestions here?

You might try TMPGEnc DVD Author (TDA), using its
"Add DVD video" button. First, you may be able to select
(and therefor separate) each of your original MPEG clips as
a "Title". You would ignore the Audio at this point.

If only one "Title" is listed, you could still use the "Reading
chapter information" feature and have TDA "Copy the clip
video to the HDD" as a sequential listing of .mpg files in the
"Copy destination folder" you specify.

If you had two separate "Titles", then you would just replace
the audio file listed with the appropriate AC3 file. Note: Unless
you have bought their AC3 plug-in (for any of their products)
you will not hear the audio while authoring the new DVD but
the audio will be correctly placed on the output of TDA.

Also: the audio and video settings areas appear "Grayed out"
but you can still "Browse" and replace what's listed.

If you only had one "Title" listed, delete "Untitled track 1"
then click on the blue "Add new track..." text, to bring up a
new source page. Now use the "Add file" button and go to
the "Copy destination folder" and select the files that go with
your first MPEG. As you described it, this audio and video
should be normal. Now, click on the blue "Add new track..."
text again and use the "Add file" button to select the .mpg
files for your second MPEG; only this time you would
replace the audio listed with the appropriate AC3 file.

It is highly likely that you will have to merge the second
group of .mpg files so that your audio can match properly.
If that's the case you may be able to replace the audio
during that process. If not, you will still be able to specify
your AC3 audio when you "Add file" the merged .mpg.
There are a number of tools to merge/join .mpg files, I like
VideoReDo www.VideoReDo.com .

Luck;
Ken

On a sunny day (22 Dec 2004 06:01:14 -0800) it happened "stankley"
<pstankley@hotmail.com> wrote in
<1103724074.260624.36700@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>:

>I made a DVD from 2 AVI files (each 45 mins long). I'd converted the
>AVIs to separate MPEG2 video and AC3 audio files, and authored the DVD.
>
>Subsequently, and after deleting the source AVI and video files, I
>realized that I'd messed up and put the same AC3 file with both video
>files. So now I have both AC3 files, and the DVD.
>
>I can't figure out a way to replace the audio on the DVD with the
>correct AC3. I tried using Vobedit, to demux the audio and video
>streams from the VOB files. The result of this is one huge MPEG2 + one
>huge AC3 file. I could probably figure out a way of splitting the
>MPEG2 file, but the chances of syncing the audio with the video will be
>nil.
>
>Anyone have any good suggestions here?
You should have used Linux transcode.
It is of cause possible to remux the ac3, see tcmplex-panteltje on my page:
http://panteltje.com/panteltje/dvd/
or you can use mplex from mjpegtools.
What makes you think timing has changed?
If no frames were dropped it should still be OK?

> What makes you think timing has changed?
>> If no frames were dropped it should still be OK?
>
>I'm not saying the timing is changed - what I'm suggesting is that I
>chop the MPEG2 (created by Vobedit) in the middle, to create 2 separate
>.m2v files, then reauthor with the 2 ac3 files, it's highly unlikely
>that my chop will have been frame-perfect, so that the 2nd part of the
>movie aligns exactly with the 2nd ac3 file.

OK, I see, I have never used vobedit.
Worse even, I have no utitlity I think at hand to accurately cut ac3.
If vobedit cuts at a frame (and it MUST), and you are in Europe, it is
40mS increments, in the VS 1 / 29.?
In Europe most DVD players will accept mp2...

Still if vobedit works the right way, its should cut the ac3 at the right
point.
the first ac3 file wil be OK (just the start of the movie).
In tcmplex-panteltje you can specify a start delay (and so shift the audio
versus the video) and that way, if it was not right, align the second part.

Why not try to remux the 2 files and see if they are perhaps OK?
Only takes 5 minutes ....
If problems keep persisting, one could decode the ac3, use wave editor,
recode.. will give quality loss.
Or cut the ac3 on an audio frame that is close just before the splice,
and a part a few frames after the splice, decode the part covering the
splice for a couple of frames, work on that with a wave editor.
I have made many a production with calculator and a zillion sound utilities,
all handwork, and no way can you notice it.
I am glad I am in Europe, as .04 seconds is so easy, not sure if I'd pull
that of with US material.