Looking for the Best TV Software for Home Theater

I'm settin up a PC based home theater system. I have an ATI AIW
8500DV. It came with software that kinda stinks. Are there any other
options for improved TV software? Any recommendations on upgrading to
another TV video card? Below is my current setup:

- AMD based PC at about 2.0 gig
- Win 2K Pro
- ATI AIW 8500 DV
- Connected to HDTV via DVI from video card.

You describe exactly the system I am building. I do not yet have the
AIW 8500DV (on order for $54) or the HDTV/DVI adapter (looking into
it).

What is wrong with the AIW software? I was hoping to use the
PVR/Tivo-like functionality (recording Seinfeld, 60 Minutes, etc.) and
EasyShare for streaming video to my desktop upstairs, which has a
Radeon 8500 LE (not AIW). I've read several positive reviews about AIW
software, and lukewarm review about EasyShare at AnandTech. What about
the ATI DVD player?

Does the DVI/HDTV adapter work? What kind of television do you have? I
have a 6-year-old Toshiba TP50H95 (50" 4:3 RPTV with component inputs
-- not HD) and wonder if the 8500DV/DVI/HDTV combination will look
better than S-Video. Do you have the overscan (or whatever) problems
others mention, where your desktop is either smashed to 16:9 aspect
ratio, or blown up so you cannot see your task bar?

Thanks
Chris

lousterz@yahoo.com wrote:
> I'm settin up a PC based home theater system. I have an ATI AIW
> 8500DV. It came with software that kinda stinks. Are there any
other
> options for improved TV software? Any recommendations on upgrading
> another TV video card? Below is my current setup:
>
> - AMD based PC at about 2.0 gig
> - Win 2K Pro
> - ATI AIW 8500 DV
> - Connected to HDTV via DVI from video card.

Tim

I have the AIW 8500DV, although I paid a lot more than that. The software
stinks! The TV module doesn't record right, and the audio plays delayed and
doubled. New drivers and ATI Multimedia Center software doesn't help.
I have switched to the Hauppuage WinPVR 350 and use Meedio from
www.meedio.com. It is outstanding and an all-in-one solution for home
media.

Tim

In article <plhZd.10533$ju.6520@okepread07>, Tim_Ham@hotmail.com says...
> From: "Tim" <Tim_Ham@hotmail.com>
> Newsgroups: rec.video.desktop
>
> I have the AIW 8500DV, although I paid a lot more than that. The software
> stinks! The TV module doesn't record right, and the audio plays delayed and
> doubled. New drivers and ATI Multimedia Center software doesn't help.
> I have switched to the Hauppuage WinPVR 350 and use Meedio from
> www.meedio.com. It is outstanding and an all-in-one solution for home
> media.
>
> Tim

Does that software support TV listings?
--
_________________________
http://www.ramsays-online.com

Tim

Yes, it supports TV listings. Download the new version 1.28 at
www.meedio.com.

Tim
=============

In article <99j_d.11640$ju.2021@okepread07>, Tim_Ham@hotmail.com says...
> Subject: Re: Looking for the Best TV Software for Home Theater
> From: "Tim" <Tim_Ham@hotmail.com>
> Newsgroups: rec.video.desktop
>
> Yes, it supports TV listings. Download the new version 1.28 at
> www.meedio.com.
>
> Tim

Does seem to support IR Blasters like my IR200L yet but I see they plan
on it soon.
--
http://www.ramsays-online.com