Looking for the Best TV Software for Home Theater

I'm settin up a PC based home theater system. I have an ATI AIW
8500DV. It came with software that kinda stinks. Are there any other
options for improved TV software? Any recommendations on upgrading to
another TV video card? Below is my current setup:

- AMD based PC at about 2.0 gig
- Win 2K Pro
- ATI AIW 8500 DV
- Connected to HDTV via DVI from video card.
5 answers Last reply
More about looking software home theater

    You describe exactly the system I am building. I do not yet have the
    AIW 8500DV (on order for $54) or the HDTV/DVI adapter (looking into
    it).

    What is wrong with the AIW software? I was hoping to use the
    PVR/Tivo-like functionality (recording Seinfeld, 60 Minutes, etc.) and
    EasyShare for streaming video to my desktop upstairs, which has a
    Radeon 8500 LE (not AIW). I've read several positive reviews about AIW
    software, and lukewarm review about EasyShare at AnandTech. What about
    the ATI DVD player?

    Does the DVI/HDTV adapter work? What kind of television do you have? I
    have a 6-year-old Toshiba TP50H95 (50" 4:3 RPTV with component inputs
    -- not HD) and wonder if the 8500DV/DVI/HDTV combination will look
    better than S-Video. Do you have the overscan (or whatever) problems
    others mention, where your desktop is either smashed to 16:9 aspect
    ratio, or blown up so you cannot see your task bar?

    Thanks
    Chris

    lousterz@yahoo.com wrote:
    > I'm settin up a PC based home theater system. I have an ATI AIW
    > 8500DV. It came with software that kinda stinks. Are there any
    other
    > options for improved TV software? Any recommendations on upgrading
    > another TV video card? Below is my current setup:
    >
    > - AMD based PC at about 2.0 gig
    > - Win 2K Pro
    > - ATI AIW 8500 DV
    > - Connected to HDTV via DVI from video card.

    I have the AIW 8500DV, although I paid a lot more than that. The software
    stinks! The TV module doesn't record right, and the audio plays delayed and
    doubled. New drivers and ATI Multimedia Center software doesn't help.
    I have switched to the Hauppuage WinPVR 350 and use Meedio from
    www.meedio.com. It is outstanding and an all-in-one solution for home
    media.

    Tim

    In article <plhZd.10533$ju.6520@okepread07>, Tim_Ham@hotmail.com says...
    > From: "Tim" <Tim_Ham@hotmail.com>
    > Newsgroups: rec.video.desktop
    >
    > I have the AIW 8500DV, although I paid a lot more than that. The software
    > stinks! The TV module doesn't record right, and the audio plays delayed and
    > doubled. New drivers and ATI Multimedia Center software doesn't help.
    > I have switched to the Hauppuage WinPVR 350 and use Meedio from
    > www.meedio.com. It is outstanding and an all-in-one solution for home
    > media.
    >
    > Tim

    Does that software support TV listings?
    --
    _________________________
    http://www.ramsays-online.com

    Yes, it supports TV listings. Download the new version 1.28 at
    www.meedio.com.

    Tim
    =============

    In article <99j_d.11640$ju.2021@okepread07>, Tim_Ham@hotmail.com says...
    > Subject: Re: Looking for the Best TV Software for Home Theater
    > From: "Tim" <Tim_Ham@hotmail.com>
    > Newsgroups: rec.video.desktop
    >
    > Yes, it supports TV listings. Download the new version 1.28 at
    > www.meedio.com.
    >
    > Tim

    Does seem to support IR Blasters like my IR200L yet but I see they plan
    on it soon.
    --
    http://www.ramsays-online.com

Tuner Cards TV Home Theatre Software Graphics