Canon 20D Sharpness and Firmware?

Greetings.

Does anyone know if there is a firmware upgrade to the Canon 20D
camera? I'm getting ready to but my first pro-sumer camera and I've
been reading that there is a sharpness issue with this camera.
Pictures come out soft. I am also interested in looking at the new
Digital Rebel XT but I can't find enough reviews on image quality to
go one way or the other. For you in the know I would like some
guidance in this department.
Thanks
Sub Sonic

Soft ?
I have a 20D and it is a nice camera.it is normal to sharpen your pictures a
little using photoshop or your favorite program,many people complain that
there pictures are not focused well or not sharp enough these are complaints
from people that are new to digital slr cameras and it is usually caused by
not enough depth of field , if you like i can send you some pictures i took
with my camera before and after sharping.
Remember it not the camera that takes great pictures but the person behind
the camera.
Rebel or rebel xt or the 20d and yes Nikon they all take great pictures dont
worry so much what other people say just go out and have fun.

"josie" <subsonic@aol.com> wrote in message
> Greetings.
>
> Does anyone know if there is a firmware upgrade to the Canon 20D
> camera? I'm getting ready to but my first pro-sumer camera and I've
> been reading that there is a sharpness issue with this camera.
> Pictures come out soft. I am also interested in looking at the new
> Digital Rebel XT but I can't find enough reviews on image quality to
> go one way or the other. For you in the know I would like some
> guidance in this department.
> Thanks
> Sub Sonic

Thaks for the info. I've also read that the standard lens may be a
cause of some of the sharpening issues this camera has. Have you found
one that gives better results over others? I'm generally going to be
taking family photos and travel scenes since I travel very frequently.
Thanks again.
Sub

On Thu, 12 May 2005 14:52:10 -0800, "Reggie Ralph"
<reggieralph@videotron.ca> wrote:

>Soft ?
>I have a 20D and it is a nice camera.it is normal to sharpen your pictures a
>little using photoshop or your favorite program,many people complain that
>there pictures are not focused well or not sharp enough these are complaints
>from people that are new to digital slr cameras and it is usually caused by
>not enough depth of field , if you like i can send you some pictures i took
>with my camera before and after sharping.
>Remember it not the camera that takes great pictures but the person behind
>the camera.
>Rebel or rebel xt or the 20d and yes Nikon they all take great pictures dont
>worry so much what other people say just go out and have fun.

I had the sigma f2.8 24-60mm that i bought from b&h photo it was terrible
could not focus correctly ,
B&H exchanged it for the canon f2.8 24-70mm.this lens works great but i
would not advise you to go to such a extreme money wise, If I would have
known then what I know now I would have bought the
EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM.
I have tried it and was really impressed with this lens .
but most important it is a light lens compared to my f2.8 which can give you
some major neck pain.
and even with this lens i rarely shoot under f5.6 for family photos and
travel scenes