wireless range

I currently have non networked PCs with 56K dialup access, and am
considering changing this setup to a wireless network with broadband access.

I would like to include in the newtwork a PC located at about 80 metres away
from the others in the group. Is wireless networking reasonably likely to
work at this range? Some of the the wireless ADSL router boxes in PC World
were claiming 500 metre range (albeit at a 1Mbd link rate). Has anyone any
experience of operating at long ranges; how succesful was it?

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

Hi
80 Meters Indoor? Nah Outdoor it depends on the envioroment.

This page has in the middle general info about Range.

Wireless hardware: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Hardware.html

As well as few solutions here.

Wireless Bridging: http://www.ezlan.net/bridging.html

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"nospam" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> I currently have non networked PCs with 56K dialup access, and am
> considering changing this setup to a wireless network with broadband
access.

> I would like to include in the newtwork a PC located at about 80 metres
away
> from the others in the group. Is wireless networking reasonably likely to
> work at this range? Some of the the wireless ADSL router boxes in PC
World
> were claiming 500 metre range (albeit at a 1Mbd link rate). Has anyone
any
> experience of operating at long ranges; how succesful was it?

It will be house to house - so a couple of brick walls and some (well
mostly) free space, with a tree in the way.
I could try mounting the antenna in the window to avoid transmission loss
through 2 brick walls, or maybe in the loft ( 2 sets of concrete tiles
instead).
Thanks for the links, they look useful.