dyoung

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2004

Okay... I have a linksys 11 mbps wireless network in my
apartment. It is connected to my cable internet... and
has been nothing but a pain since i got it.

The frustrating thing is that it works fine for both of my
roommates... I'm really the only one that has problems. I
get kicked off the network quite often for 2 to 3 second
intervals, and it likes to go from 11 mbps to 2 (and if
you wait around long enough, to 1) without warning or
reason. This is probably the most annoying, as even with
2.0 mbps I should be able to use the internet just fine,
but no, it can't even bring up yahoo. The other strange
thing about the speed issue is that the connectivity never
changes. No matter what, whether i'm being kicked off or
slowed down, or whatever... I'm always at Very Good or
Excellent connectivity.

I really have no idea what could be going on here. Any
help you could offer would be very much so appreciated.

-D. Young

I would visit the DSL Reports Linksys forums for expert help with this issue...

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/linksys

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Dyoung" <dyoung@ou.edu> wrote in message news:081f01c4a601$668e81d0$a401280a@phx.gbl...
> Okay... I have a linksys 11 mbps wireless network in my
> apartment. It is connected to my cable internet... and
> has been nothing but a pain since i got it.
>
> The frustrating thing is that it works fine for both of my
> roommates... I'm really the only one that has problems. I
> get kicked off the network quite often for 2 to 3 second
> intervals, and it likes to go from 11 mbps to 2 (and if
> you wait around long enough, to 1) without warning or
> reason. This is probably the most annoying, as even with
> 2.0 mbps I should be able to use the internet just fine,
> but no, it can't even bring up yahoo. The other strange
> thing about the speed issue is that the connectivity never
> changes. No matter what, whether i'm being kicked off or
> slowed down, or whatever... I'm always at Very Good or
> Excellent connectivity.
>
> I really have no idea what could be going on here. Any
> help you could offer would be very much so appreciated.
>
> -D. Young

G-Man

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2004

I have a few Linksys wireless routers, and it was a pain getting them to
function. Most required time online with Linksys, and software upgrades to
the routers. I would call Linksys. I will admit their support was good.

Gary Foreman

"Dyoung" <dyoung@ou.edu> wrote in message
> Okay... I have a linksys 11 mbps wireless network in my
> apartment. It is connected to my cable internet... and
> has been nothing but a pain since i got it.
>
> The frustrating thing is that it works fine for both of my
> roommates... I'm really the only one that has problems. I
> get kicked off the network quite often for 2 to 3 second
> intervals, and it likes to go from 11 mbps to 2 (and if
> you wait around long enough, to 1) without warning or
> reason. This is probably the most annoying, as even with
> 2.0 mbps I should be able to use the internet just fine,
> but no, it can't even bring up yahoo. The other strange
> thing about the speed issue is that the connectivity never
> changes. No matter what, whether i'm being kicked off or
> slowed down, or whatever... I'm always at Very Good or
> Excellent connectivity.
>
> I really have no idea what could be going on here. Any
> help you could offer would be very much so appreciated.
>
> -D. Young

The key with Linksys is to find good firmware releases... I now use a
few WRT54Gs and use the third party firmware rels. No problems ever
since... :)

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com