Remote printing and multi-user RD access...

I have two managers who want to connect via RD from home to their office
workstations. They also want to be able to print docs and reports from their
office workstations to their home printers. We utilize a Netscreen VPN
router and have terminal services configured via Port 3389. Currently, I can
point the 3389 terminal services forwarding config to only one destination IP
address within the office from outside the office. Only one user can use RD
from home at any given time.

How can I enable both users to access their office workstations at the same
time without having to constantly change destination IP addresses and how can
I enable them to be able to print to their home printers? All workstations
have WinXP Pro and DSL or Cable.
3 answers Last reply
More about remote printing multi user access

    See this page for examples of how to do that...

    http://members.cox.net/ajarvi/RemoteDesktop/Multiple_PC_RD.html

    Of course if they connect via a VPN tunnel to your local network you should be able to access RD on
    any desktop via the default listening port...

    --
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    "Alohanora" <Alohanora@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have two managers who want to connect via RD from home to their office
    > workstations. They also want to be able to print docs and reports from their
    > office workstations to their home printers. We utilize a Netscreen VPN
    > router and have terminal services configured via Port 3389. Currently, I can
    > point the 3389 terminal services forwarding config to only one destination IP
    > address within the office from outside the office. Only one user can use RD
    > from home at any given time.
    >
    > How can I enable both users to access their office workstations at the same
    > time without having to constantly change destination IP addresses and how can
    > I enable them to be able to print to their home printers? All workstations
    > have WinXP Pro and DSL or Cable.

    If you can provide them with VPN connectivity to the work LAN, this is
    easy--just connect the vpn, then connect by IP (or, perhaps, name) to the
    individual workstation via port 3389--no changes needed.

    Two VPN connections are really the best way to handle this, but there are
    others, so let us know whether you can manage that solution.

    Printing requires that the drivers for the home printer be available at the
    work XP Pro host, and that the port that the printer connects to be
    redirected. If these are LPT connected printers which predate XP's
    introduction, this should work out of the box. If the printers are newer,
    you may need to install the drivers on the work machines, as though they
    were locally connected via LPT1. After installation, you can delete the
    created "printer", but, if queried whether to delete files, say NO. This
    leaves the printer available for autoinstallation on the fly as connections
    are made, which is what happens.

    If the printer connection is USB, it then matters whether the port name is
    USB001 (etc) or DOT4001 (etc) If the former, it should work out of the box
    as long as the driver is available at the host machin. If the latter, you
    will need to apply the registry change workaround specified in this KB
    article:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;302361

    to the HOME machine, and reboot it before testing whether the printer now
    works.
    "Alohanora" <Alohanora@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have two managers who want to connect via RD from home to their office
    > workstations. They also want to be able to print docs and reports from
    > their
    > office workstations to their home printers. We utilize a Netscreen VPN
    > router and have terminal services configured via Port 3389. Currently, I
    > can
    > point the 3389 terminal services forwarding config to only one destination
    > IP
    > address within the office from outside the office. Only one user can use
    > RD
    > from home at any given time.
    >
    > How can I enable both users to access their office workstations at the
    > same
    > time without having to constantly change destination IP addresses and how
    > can
    > I enable them to be able to print to their home printers? All
    > workstations
    > have WinXP Pro and DSL or Cable.

    Bill,

    My RDC works fine, EXCEPT the remote user (XP Home) still cannot print to
    her local printer. It is connected to her local USB001 port and its been
    re-directed to a virtual active TS001 when a remote session is open.
    However, printing to it doesn't do a thing.

    We can open the printer properties and see it listed in the list of
    printers. After you send something to print it shows in the queue as
    "printting" but nothing happens. Even cancelling the printring job does work.

    Any ideas,
    Eduardo

Workstations Office Windows XP