Question on work remotely

alfred

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2004

Client OS: XP Pro SP1
Server OS: Windows Server 2003

All my company's PC is using internal IP e.g(192.168.1.x)
i understand that these internal IPs cannot be directly access
from outside of company networks.

Question: how do i connect to my office PC from outside,
lets say home or cybercafe ?

Thanks!

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

The 192.168.1.x is an internal address only. You must talk with you system
admin. and find out what the external address is and have him open a passage
way through the firewall (if they have a firewall).

"Alfred" wrote:

> Client OS: XP Pro SP1
> Server OS: Windows Server 2003
>
> All my company's PC is using internal IP e.g(192.168.1.x)
> i understand that these internal IPs cannot be directly access
> from outside of company networks.
>
> Question: how do i connect to my office PC from outside,
> lets say home or cybercafe ?
>
> Thanks!

alfred

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2004

yes we have hardware firewall,
and my big question is; have to connect to those PC which
have an internal IPs ?? is there a way of mapping to these
IP through some setting at server or firewall ?

Thanks!

> The 192.168.1.x is an internal address only. You must talk with you system
> admin. and find out what the external address is and have him open a
> passage
> way through the firewall (if they have a firewall).
>
> "Alfred" wrote:
>
>> Client OS: XP Pro SP1
>> Server OS: Windows Server 2003
>>
>> All my company's PC is using internal IP e.g(192.168.1.x)
>> i understand that these internal IPs cannot be directly access
>> from outside of company networks.
>>
>> Question: how do i connect to my office PC from outside,
>> lets say home or cybercafe ?
>>
>> Thanks!

You need to open TCP Port 3389 on the firewall. To access more than one XP Pro Remote Desktop behind
a firewall look at this page for examples...

http://members.cox.net/ajarvi/RemoteDesktop/Multiple_PC_RD.html

....or setup a VPN tunnel...

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Alfred" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> yes we have hardware firewall,
> and my big question is; have to connect to those PC which
> have an internal IPs ?? is there a way of mapping to these
> IP through some setting at server or firewall ?
>
> Thanks!
>

> "Dave" <Dave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> The 192.168.1.x is an internal address only. You must talk with you system
>> admin. and find out what the external address is and have him open a passage
>> way through the firewall (if they have a firewall).
>>
>> "Alfred" wrote:
>>
>>> Client OS: XP Pro SP1
>>> Server OS: Windows Server 2003
>>>
>>> All my company's PC is using internal IP e.g(192.168.1.x)
>>> i understand that these internal IPs cannot be directly access
>>> from outside of company networks.
>>>
>>> Question: how do i connect to my office PC from outside,
>>> lets say home or cybercafe ?
>>>
>>> Thanks!

If your company will let you, you can install a third-
party client like those on dyndns.org that will create a
mapping to your machine. This assumes that your firewall
will let this connection through port 3389 (for Remote
Desktop).

for the mutual benefit of all of us...
>The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
confers no rights...