Exporting VPN Settings

Hi,

This question may well apply to "normal" dial-up settings for an ISP, but in
this case I want to export a VPN connection I have created under Windows XP
to provide to end-users (perhaps as a single file that they can double
click) to setup the VPN connection on their desktop.

Clients are primarily Windows XP Professional SP2 users, but I also have a
handful of Windows 2000 users that I may also need to cater for.

Is there a way of exporting a VPN (or dial-up) connection, or perhaps even a
3rd party tool that will do this?

Regards,

Richard Tubb.
9 answers Last reply
More about exporting settings

    Someone else asked this question as well in the last few days, and I haven't
    had a chance to investigate further. My thought is that I think that I've
    seen these settings migrated with the XP Files And Settings Transfer tool
    (FAST).

    You might check that tool and the help associated with it out. I'll try to
    do so as well later today and respond to this thread.

    "Richard Tubb" <richard@netlinktrading.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > This question may well apply to "normal" dial-up settings for an ISP, but
    > in this case I want to export a VPN connection I have created under
    > Windows XP to provide to end-users (perhaps as a single file that they can
    > double click) to setup the VPN connection on their desktop.
    >
    > Clients are primarily Windows XP Professional SP2 users, but I also have a
    > handful of Windows 2000 users that I may also need to cater for.
    >
    > Is there a way of exporting a VPN (or dial-up) connection, or perhaps even
    > a 3rd party tool that will do this?
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Richard Tubb.

    Hi Richard,

    Thanks for your posting here.

    I think CMAK (Connection Manager Administration Kit ) is just what you want.

    Microsoft Connection Manager is a client dialer and connection tool that
    you can customize by using the CMAK Wizard. You can use the wizard to
    create service profiles that include the functionality and appearance that
    you want for your service. The wizard provides you with the ability to
    create a custom Connection Manager dialer for your remote network clients
    that they can use to connect to the network. The wizard builds a
    self-installing package that contains the service profile. You can then
    distribute the custom service profile to users so that they can install and
    run the custom version of Connection Manager.

    You can specify the elements that you want Connection Manager to support,
    such as custom graphics, access numbers for dial-up connections, VPN
    connections, automatic programs that run during a connection, and other
    features that are specific to your service.

    Please refer to the following document for the detailed information about
    how to use the Connection Manager Administration Kit (CMAK) Wizard to
    create a custom Connection Manager service profile.

    317593 HOW TO: Create a Custom Connection Manager Service Profile in Windows
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=317593

    Have a nice day!

    Regards,
    Bob Qin
    Microsoft Online Partner Support

    --------------------
    From: "Richard Tubb" <richard@netlinktrading.co.uk>
    Subject: Exporting VPN Settings
    Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 09:52:19 +0100
    Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely

    Hi,

    This question may well apply to "normal" dial-up settings for an ISP,
    but in
    this case I want to export a VPN connection I have created under
    Windows XP
    to provide to end-users (perhaps as a single file that they can
    double
    click) to setup the VPN connection on their desktop.

    Clients are primarily Windows XP Professional SP2 users, but I also
    have a
    handful of Windows 2000 users that I may also need to cater for.

    Is there a way of exporting a VPN (or dial-up) connection, or perhaps
    even a
    3rd party tool that will do this?

    Regards,

    Richard Tubb.

    Bob,

    Many thanks - the CMAK wizard is ideal. For those following this thread it
    can be found on the Windows 2000 Server or Advanced Server CD in
    /i386/adminpak.msi for Windows 2000 PC's, or in the same location on the
    Windows 2003 Server CD for Windows XP machines.

    Bob - a final question you may be able to help me with. I want to use CMAK
    to create a connection profile JUST for a VPN, no ISP dial-up connection
    required. When created using CMAK a profile by default asks for a telephone
    number to dial. I am having to manually change this option (by clicking
    Properties from within the profile logon screen) to "I am already connected
    to the Internet". I'd like this option to be ticked as default for my
    broadband users who don't need to make a DUN connection before using the
    VPN. Can you suggest a way this can be done?

    Regards,

    Richard Tubb.
    www.netlinktrading.co.uk

    "Bob Qin [MSFT]" <bobqin@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi Richard,
    >
    > Thanks for your posting here.
    >
    > I think CMAK (Connection Manager Administration Kit ) is just what you
    > want.
    >
    > Microsoft Connection Manager is a client dialer and connection tool that
    > you can customize by using the CMAK Wizard. You can use the wizard to
    > create service profiles that include the functionality and appearance that
    > you want for your service. The wizard provides you with the ability to
    > create a custom Connection Manager dialer for your remote network clients
    > that they can use to connect to the network. The wizard builds a
    > self-installing package that contains the service profile. You can then
    > distribute the custom service profile to users so that they can install
    > and
    > run the custom version of Connection Manager.
    >
    > You can specify the elements that you want Connection Manager to support,
    > such as custom graphics, access numbers for dial-up connections, VPN
    > connections, automatic programs that run during a connection, and other
    > features that are specific to your service.
    >
    > Please refer to the following document for the detailed information about
    > how to use the Connection Manager Administration Kit (CMAK) Wizard to
    > create a custom Connection Manager service profile.
    >
    > 317593 HOW TO: Create a Custom Connection Manager Service Profile in
    > Windows
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=317593
    >
    > Have a nice day!
    >
    > Regards,
    > Bob Qin
    > Microsoft Online Partner Support

    > rights.
    >
    > --------------------
    > From: "Richard Tubb" <richard@netlinktrading.co.uk>
    > Subject: Exporting VPN Settings
    > Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 09:52:19 +0100
    > Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely
    >
    > Hi,
    >
    > This question may well apply to "normal" dial-up settings for an ISP,
    > but in
    > this case I want to export a VPN connection I have created under
    > Windows XP
    > to provide to end-users (perhaps as a single file that they can
    > double
    > click) to setup the VPN connection on their desktop.
    >
    > Clients are primarily Windows XP Professional SP2 users, but I also
    > have a
    > handful of Windows 2000 users that I may also need to cater for.
    >
    > Is there a way of exporting a VPN (or dial-up) connection, or perhaps
    > even a
    > 3rd party tool that will do this?
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Richard Tubb.

    Hi Bill,

    Thanks for your suggestion. I was actually unaware of the FAST tool so was
    interested in looking at it.

    Found a good article at
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/expert/crawford_november12.mspx
    that explains the tools use very simply.

    Unfortunately I think the scope of the FAST tool is too broad ranging to use
    for simply transfer a VPN or dial-up connection, it seems to be best used
    for transferring a whole raft of settings. CMAK is a better option for this
    specific job - but I'm glad you opened my eyes to FAST anyway. ;-)

    Regards,

    Richard Tubb.
    www.netlinktrading.co.uk

    "Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote in message
    > Someone else asked this question as well in the last few days, and I
    > haven't had a chance to investigate further. My thought is that I think
    > that I've seen these settings migrated with the XP Files And Settings
    > Transfer tool (FAST).
    >
    > You might check that tool and the help associated with it out. I'll try
    > to do so as well later today and respond to this thread.
    >
    > "Richard Tubb" <richard@netlinktrading.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> This question may well apply to "normal" dial-up settings for an ISP, but
    >> in this case I want to export a VPN connection I have created under
    >> Windows XP to provide to end-users (perhaps as a single file that they
    >> can double click) to setup the VPN connection on their desktop.
    >>
    >> Clients are primarily Windows XP Professional SP2 users, but I also have
    >> a handful of Windows 2000 users that I may also need to cater for.
    >>
    >> Is there a way of exporting a VPN (or dial-up) connection, or perhaps
    >> even a 3rd party tool that will do this?
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Richard Tubb.

    Yes CMAK is absolutely the best tool for your job.

    FAST is wonderful when migrating between machines or an upgrade from
    anything to XP. There are some complexities it doesnt handle well,
    especially in relation to Outlook Express and Identities, but I've had no
    complaints from users whose work I have migrated using it.

    > Hi Bill,
    >
    > Thanks for your suggestion. I was actually unaware of the FAST tool so was
    > interested in looking at it.
    >
    > Found a good article at
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/expert/crawford_november12.mspx
    > that explains the tools use very simply.
    >
    > Unfortunately I think the scope of the FAST tool is too broad ranging to
    > use for simply transfer a VPN or dial-up connection, it seems to be best
    > used for transferring a whole raft of settings. CMAK is a better option
    > for this specific job - but I'm glad you opened my eyes to FAST anyway.
    > ;-)
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Richard Tubb.
    > www.netlinktrading.co.uk
    >
    > "Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote in message
    >> Someone else asked this question as well in the last few days, and I
    >> haven't had a chance to investigate further. My thought is that I think
    >> that I've seen these settings migrated with the XP Files And Settings
    >> Transfer tool (FAST).
    >>
    >> You might check that tool and the help associated with it out. I'll try
    >> to do so as well later today and respond to this thread.
    >>
    >> "Richard Tubb" <richard@netlinktrading.co.uk> wrote in message
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> This question may well apply to "normal" dial-up settings for an ISP,
    >>> but in this case I want to export a VPN connection I have created under
    >>> Windows XP to provide to end-users (perhaps as a single file that they
    >>> can double click) to setup the VPN connection on their desktop.
    >>>
    >>> Clients are primarily Windows XP Professional SP2 users, but I also have
    >>> a handful of Windows 2000 users that I may also need to cater for.
    >>>
    >>> Is there a way of exporting a VPN (or dial-up) connection, or perhaps
    >>> even a 3rd party tool that will do this?
    >>>
    >>> Regards,
    >>>
    >>> Richard Tubb.

    Hi Richard,

    Thanks for your update.

    To set "I am already connected to the Internet" as default settings, you
    can try the following steps to create a customized connection.

    1 Run CMAK to create a connection
    2 Follow the wizard until the last step which including "Advanced
    customization"
    3 Check "Advanced customization", click Next
    4 Choose the .CMP file in file name box
    5 Choose Connection manager in the Section name box
    6 Type ConnectionType in the Key Name box
    7 Type 1 in the Value box
    8 Click Apply, click Next.

    From: "Richard Tubb" <richard@netlinktrading.co.uk>
    Subject: Re: Exporting VPN Settings
    Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 21:36:13 +0100
    Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely

> [...]

    > Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 09:52:19 +0100
    > Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely
    >
    > Hi,
    >
    > This question may well apply to "normal" dial-up settings for
    an ISP,
    > but in
    > this case I want to export a VPN connection I have created
    under
    > Windows XP
    > to provide to end-users (perhaps as a single file that they can
    > double
    > click) to setup the VPN connection on their desktop.
    >
    > Clients are primarily Windows XP Professional SP2 users, but I
    also
    > have a
    > handful of Windows 2000 users that I may also need to cater
    for.

    > Is there a way of exporting a VPN (or dial-up) connection, or

    Hi Bob,

    Just a quick note to say that your advice on CMAK was superb. Many thanks. I
    now have a full "one-click" solution to enable users to install VPN details
    on their PC's.

> [...]
    > > Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 09:52:19 +0100
    > > Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely
    > >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > This question may well apply to "normal" dial-up settings for
    > an ISP,
    > > but in
    > > this case I want to export a VPN connection I have created
    > under
    > > Windows XP
    > > to provide to end-users (perhaps as a single file that they
    > can
    > > double
    > > click) to setup the VPN connection on their desktop.
    > >
    > > Clients are primarily Windows XP Professional SP2 users, but I
    > also
    > > have a
    > > handful of Windows 2000 users that I may also need to cater
    > for.
    > >
    > > Is there a way of exporting a VPN (or dial-up) connection, or

    You are welcome! We are glad that the information is helpful. If you have
    any questions in the future, please don't hesitate to post in the
    newsgroup. Have a great day!

    Sincerely,
    Jack Wang, MCSE 2000/2003, MCSA 2000/2003, MCDBA, MCSD
    Microsoft Online Partner Support

    from your issue.

    --------------------
> [...]
    | > >
    | > > Hi,
    | > >
    | > > This question may well apply to "normal" dial-up settings
    for
    | > an ISP,
    | > > but in
    | > > this case I want to export a VPN connection I have created
    | > under
    | > > Windows XP
    | > > to provide to end-users (perhaps as a single file that they
    | > can
    | > > double
    | > > click) to setup the VPN connection on their desktop.
    | > >
    | > > Clients are primarily Windows XP Professional SP2 users,
    but I
    | > also
    | > > have a
    | > > handful of Windows 2000 users that I may also need to cater
    | > for.
    | > >
    | > > Is there a way of exporting a VPN (or dial-up) connection,

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    Bob,
    Thanks for the CMAK info. I got it working for my users but I can't
    figure out a static route issue. I need my remote users to be able to
    access my 192.168.1.0 network. I added a line to the CmRoute section
    when creating a new profile on CMAK that has the following:

    add 192.198.1.0 mask 255.255.255.0 default metric if default

    This routes does get push down to the users when they log in to the VPN
    but they are unable to access the 192.168.1.0 network because the route
    add command uses their ISP IP address as the gateway instead of the PPP
    adapter IP address. Is there a way to tell this route add command to
    use the PPP adapter IP address?

    Thanks

    Nelson

    Bob Qin [MSFT] wrote:
    > Hi Richard,
    >
    > Thanks for your update.
    >
    > To set "I am already connected to the Internet" as default settings,
    you
    > can try the following steps to create a customized connection.
    >
    > 1 Run CMAK to create a connection
    > 2 Follow the wizard until the last step which including "Advanced
    > customization"
    > 3 Check "Advanced customization", click Next
    > 4 Choose the .CMP file in file name box
    > 5 Choose Connection manager in the Section name box
    > 6 Type ConnectionType in the Key Name box
    > 7 Type 1 in the Value box
    > 8 Click Apply, click Next.
    >
    > Have a nice day!
    >
    > Regards,
    > Bob Qin
    > Microsoft Online Partner Support

Internet Service Providers VPN Dial Up Connection Windows XP