Choppy audio during playback of DV-AVI (and only DV-AVI)

Tags:
  • Tuner Cards
  • Desktops
  • Video
  • AVI
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 24, 2004 1:36:29 AM

Okay, this one really has me stumped. On my main home desktop, playback of
DV-AVI results in "choppy" or "stuttery" sound. The video is fine -- in fact,
the video is gorgeous. The CPU % is low -- perhaps 18-21%. Other machines,
even less powerful machines, will play the AVI just fine. I have no problems
with any other audio output from this machine -- WAV, MP3, WMA, other AVI, WMV,
VOB (via PowerDVD) all play *and sound* fine.

What should I be looking for?

Faulty DV Video codec?
Updated sound drivers?
Anything else?

thanks.

More about : choppy audio playback avi avi

Anonymous
December 24, 2004 7:23:43 AM

I forgot to add that this is probably a problem with the DirectShow layer, as
WMP and Real both display the problem, while Quicktime does not. (WMP and Real
load the DirectShow DLLs).
Anonymous
December 24, 2004 10:50:53 AM

Fragmented hard drive could be the answer. I noted that you sited Directshow
in a post following the original. Download the latest Direct X version that
may help. My first reaction is fragmentation. Capture and playback of DV
from the system drive can also be a factor, but you did not explain where
the video resides. I am only assuming this is part of the problem. But even
so, the data rate necessary for DV playback is so low even the system drive
should keep up.

You mentioned not having a problem with any other source of multimedia file.
Quicktime files, unless they are at the same frame resolution and data rate
as the DV AVI, are usually compressed to much lower data rates targeted for
playback on the web as are Real files and many others you listed. DVD
playback is even less in what it demands since the video is compressed from
MegaBytes per second to megabits per second. WAV files are no more demanding
than playback of a CD, and even that playback could be performed on a very
slow system with a 1X CDROM drive. MP3's are even less demanding than that.

Essentially playback of DV video is not going to be demanding on your CPU or
hard drive. You're playing back a file with a data rate of under 4MB per
second. This could be done, and I have an old Pentium I 233MHz machine with
5400RPM UDMA33 hard drives that does it all day long without a hitch. On top
of it the 64Megs of RAM aren't even up to the PC100 level. I keep this old
machine up and running with the original Canopus DVRaptor card using
Premiere 5.1 to show customers how little power is really needed to do DV
capture and playback. Defrag that hard drive and see what happens. If that
changes nothing let's take a deeper look.
--
Larry Johnson
Digital Video Solutions

"RedmondMan" <redmondman@aol.com> wrote in message
> Okay, this one really has me stumped. On my main home desktop, playback
of
> DV-AVI results in "choppy" or "stuttery" sound. The video is fine -- in
fact,
> the video is gorgeous. The CPU % is low -- perhaps 18-21%. Other
machines,
> even less powerful machines, will play the AVI just fine. I have no
problems
> with any other audio output from this machine -- WAV, MP3, WMA, other AVI,
WMV,
> VOB (via PowerDVD) all play *and sound* fine.
>
> What should I be looking for?
>
> Faulty DV Video codec?
> Updated sound drivers?
> Anything else?
>
> thanks.
Anonymous
December 24, 2004 8:46:03 PM

Larry,

Thanks for the reply, though I realize I wasn't clear.

The DV-AVI file in question is actually very high data rate (WMP10 reports it
as 28.3 Mbps). It resides on a new and unfragmented hard drive.

GSpot reports the 4CC code as DVSD. And when I say that the Quicktime Player
plays the file fine, I'm talking about the same DV-AVI file. In other words,
Quicktime is able to render the same high data rate file without the choppy
audio. However, the observed video quality via the QT player is lower.

Oh, and another observation, although I expect it to be irrelevant. Although
choppy, the audio is in sync with the video. I burned the whole thing to DVD
last night using Sonic MyDVD, and the A/V was out of sync on the finished DVD.
!