Changing Remote desktop listening port

October 1, 2004 3:09:04 AM

Please help. I want to change the listening port for Remote desktop but when
doing so the Remote Web Connection fails. I know that the IS port (Default
80) is used in conjuction with 3389 but I thought in changing 3389 to
something else it would follow. I am using XP pro on both machines. Is
there somewhere else I need to change the default 3389 to tell the web
connection? Please help.
Anonymous
October 1, 2004 9:41:46 AM

Look at this page for help with that...

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com/ow.asp?Remote%5F...

....or download a modified default.htm file from Jeffrey Randow's (MS-MVP) site that allows port
redirection...

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com/LinkClick.aspx?l...

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Needing help" <Needing help@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Please help. I want to change the listening port for Remote desktop but when
> doing so the Remote Web Connection fails. I know that the IS port (Default
> 80) is used in conjuction with 3389 but I thought in changing 3389 to
> something else it would follow. I am using XP pro on both machines. Is
> there somewhere else I need to change the default 3389 to tell the web
> connection? Please help.

Anonymous
October 1, 2004 10:39:04 AM

Al,

The first site you sent me to talks about a modified line. I not only do
not know where this line would go but I think this is just changing the 3389
port for RD correct? If so, I have done this thru the Registry, changing it
to something other than the 3389. Upon doing so, I then try the web
connection. Example being http://xx.xx.xxx.xxx:80/tsweb ............No go.
The other site you mentioned talks about downloading a different version of
the web connection? What if I jump from pc to pc all over the place and
can't download a version everytime? Would it be ..............:80/different
site? Please help. Thanks.

Dean

"Sooner Al" wrote:

> Look at this page for help with that...
>
> http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com/ow.asp?Remote%5F...
>
> ....or download a modified default.htm file from Jeffrey Randow's (MS-MVP) site that allows port
> redirection...
>
> http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com/LinkClick.aspx?l...
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> "Needing help" <Needing help@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Please help. I want to change the listening port for Remote desktop but when
> > doing so the Remote Web Connection fails. I know that the IS port (Default
> > 80) is used in conjuction with 3389 but I thought in changing 3389 to
> > something else it would follow. I am using XP pro on both machines. Is
> > there somewhere else I need to change the default 3389 to tell the web
> > connection? Please help.

October 1, 2004 12:54:41 PM

In addition to changing the listening port in the registry. By the way, make sure you reboot the PC
once you change the listening port in the registry for the change to take effect.

The other change is made in the "default.htm" file on the PC your trying to connect to... Here is
the path...

C:\Windows\web\tsweb\default.htm

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;326945

So, either edit the existing file or copy Jeffrey's file to the Remote Desktop/IIS host machine.
Make a backup of the original file first though...

--

> Al,
>
> The first site you sent me to talks about a modified line. I not only do
> not know where this line would go but I think this is just changing the 3389
> port for RD correct? If so, I have done this thru the Registry, changing it
> to something other than the 3389. Upon doing so, I then try the web
> connection. Example being http://xx.xx.xxx.xxx:80/tsweb ............No go.
> The other site you mentioned talks about downloading a different version of
> the web connection? What if I jump from pc to pc all over the place and
> can't download a version everytime? Would it be ..............:80/different
> site? Please help. Thanks.
>
> Dean
>
> "Sooner Al" wrote:
>
>> Look at this page for help with that...
>>
>> http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com/ow.asp?Remote%5F...
>>
>> ....or download a modified default.htm file from Jeffrey Randow's (MS-MVP) site that allows port
>> redirection...
>>
>> http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com/LinkClick.aspx?l...
>>
>> --
>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

>> "Needing help" <Needing help@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Please help. I want to change the listening port for Remote desktop but when
>> > doing so the Remote Web Connection fails. I know that the IS port (Default
>> > 80) is used in conjuction with 3389 but I thought in changing 3389 to
>> > something else it would follow. I am using XP pro on both machines. Is
>> > there somewhere else I need to change the default 3389 to tell the web
>> > connection? Please help.

Anonymous
October 2, 2004 12:13:01 AM

Thank you very much. I am sure this was the info I needed. Thanks again Al.

"Sooner Al" wrote:

> In addition to changing the listening port in the registry. By the way, make sure you reboot the PC
> once you change the listening port in the registry for the change to take effect.
>
> The other change is made in the "default.htm" file on the PC your trying to connect to... Here is
> the path...
>
> C:\Windows\web\tsweb\default.htm
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;326945
>
> So, either edit the existing file or copy Jeffrey's file to the Remote Desktop/IIS host machine.
> Make a backup of the original file first though...
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> "Needing help" <Needinghelp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Al,
> >
> > The first site you sent me to talks about a modified line. I not only do
> > not know where this line would go but I think this is just changing the 3389
> > port for RD correct? If so, I have done this thru the Registry, changing it
> > to something other than the 3389. Upon doing so, I then try the web
> > connection. Example being http://xx.xx.xxx.xxx:80/tsweb ............No go.
> > The other site you mentioned talks about downloading a different version of
> > the web connection? What if I jump from pc to pc all over the place and
> > can't download a version everytime? Would it be ..............:80/different
> > site? Please help. Thanks.
> >
> > Dean
> >
> > "Sooner Al" wrote:
> >
> >> Look at this page for help with that...
> >>
> >> http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com/ow.asp?Remote%5F...
> >>
> >> ....or download a modified default.htm file from Jeffrey Randow's (MS-MVP) site that allows port
> >> redirection...
> >>
> >> http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com/LinkClick.aspx?l...
> >>
> >> --
> >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
> >>
> >> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual benefit of all of us...
> >> The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> >> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights...
> >>
> >> "Needing help" <Needing help@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
October 5, 2004 12:58:14 AM

Or you can just use the revised client at
http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com/Default.aspx?tab...

:)
---
Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking MVP)