RD - Terminal Services will not start

I have got RD working on several XP systems, but I am
having trouble on one system.

The problem sems to be that Terminal Services are not
running.

I can manually & automaticly start it but it imeadiatly
stops again with no error message or useful information.

RPC which it depends on is running.

I checked the event log but all that has is three normal
looking events telling me it is starting, running, then
stopped.

Any ideas out there?
7 answers Last reply
More about terminal services start

    Got anything in your system event logs?
    It should be set to manual, btw. But yes, it should start.

    Richard wrote:
    > I have got RD working on several XP systems, but I am
    > having trouble on one system.
    >
    > The problem sems to be that Terminal Services are not
    > running.
    >
    > I can manually & automaticly start it but it imeadiatly
    > stops again with no error message or useful information.
    >
    > RPC which it depends on is running.
    >
    > I checked the event log but all that has is three normal
    > looking events telling me it is starting, running, then
    > stopped.
    >
    > Any ideas out there?

    Just the thre events sayin it is starting, entering the
    running, and entering the stopped state.

    Richard wrote:
    > Just the thre events sayin it is starting, entering the
    > running, and entering the stopped state.

    Hmm. What SP? Are you up to date on all critical patches even if not using
    SP2?
    Have you done antivirus & anti-spyware scans?

    Problem was there both pre & post sp2 [Tried most things
    to fix it!]

    Have virus checker - updated daily from my-etrust. Also
    use excellent PestPatrol ant-ad/spy/hijack sw.

    You can probably see now why I'm on the communities site
    looking for help ;-}

    Is this XP Home edition, or XP Pro?

    "Richard" <rick@themadhouse.org.uk> wrote in message
    > Problem was there both pre & post sp2 [Tried most things
    > to fix it!]
    >
    > Have virus checker - updated daily from my-etrust. Also
    > use excellent PestPatrol ant-ad/spy/hijack sw.
    >
    > You can probably see now why I'm on the communities site
    > looking for help ;-}

    It is Pro.

    No useful thoughts then. Some services stop when they start and find there
    is nothing useful for them to do--i.e. nothing dependent on them is enabled.
    So, thoughts I have are to look both in the registry and in the standard GUI
    locations for all the enabling checkboxes, or perhaps uncheck both RD and RA
    and Fast User Switching, restart, and then enable them all again.

    > It is Pro.

Terminal Windows XP