RD - Terminal Services will not start

Richard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have got RD working on several XP systems, but I am
having trouble on one system.

The problem sems to be that Terminal Services are not
running.

I can manually & automaticly start it but it imeadiatly
stops again with no error message or useful information.

RPC which it depends on is running.

I checked the event log but all that has is three normal
looking events telling me it is starting, running, then
stopped.

Any ideas out there?

Got anything in your system event logs?
It should be set to manual, btw. But yes, it should start.

Richard wrote:
> I have got RD working on several XP systems, but I am
> having trouble on one system.
>
> The problem sems to be that Terminal Services are not
> running.
>
> I can manually & automaticly start it but it imeadiatly
> stops again with no error message or useful information.
>
> RPC which it depends on is running.
>
> I checked the event log but all that has is three normal
> looking events telling me it is starting, running, then
> stopped.
>
> Any ideas out there?

Richard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Just the thre events sayin it is starting, entering the
running, and entering the stopped state.

Richard wrote:
> Just the thre events sayin it is starting, entering the
> running, and entering the stopped state.

Hmm. What SP? Are you up to date on all critical patches even if not using
SP2?
Have you done antivirus & anti-spyware scans?

Richard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Problem was there both pre & post sp2 [Tried most things
to fix it!]

Have virus checker - updated daily from my-etrust. Also
use excellent PestPatrol ant-ad/spy/hijack sw.

You can probably see now why I'm on the communities site
looking for help ;-}

Is this XP Home edition, or XP Pro?

"Richard" <rick@themadhouse.org.uk> wrote in message
> Problem was there both pre & post sp2 [Tried most things
> to fix it!]
>
> Have virus checker - updated daily from my-etrust. Also
> use excellent PestPatrol ant-ad/spy/hijack sw.
>
> You can probably see now why I'm on the communities site
> looking for help ;-}

Richard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

It is Pro.

No useful thoughts then. Some services stop when they start and find there
is nothing useful for them to do--i.e. nothing dependent on them is enabled.
So, thoughts I have are to look both in the registry and in the standard GUI
locations for all the enabling checkboxes, or perhaps uncheck both RD and RA
and Fast User Switching, restart, and then enable them all again.