replacement for counter-strike

Last response: in Video Games
May 12, 2004 5:05:08 AM

Hi,

Counter-Strike has been my weapon of choice for wasting all of my time
for a while now, but I am starting to get a bit sick of it now. I dont
think I will ever leave it for good, but for now I fancy something
else.

I've played Condition-Zero (normal level) but finished it pretty much
straight away (except for them stupid hostage levels towards the end
where its very hard to get the hossies out without killing (or your
team killing) all of the ts.).

Anyone have any suggestions of what to try next? At least until
half-life 2 comes out (if ever). I dont like these ww2 style ones. I
like multiplayer. I would like one that has re-spawn straight away. Im
not bothered if its doom-esque (unrealistic) vs CS-like (more
realistic). I dont like sitting round waiting for stuff to happen. I
like to play stuff in bursts of about an hour, rather than playing for
hours at a time.

Even a good non-fps multiplayer game would be ok. Perhaps a racing
game.

Ideas?
Anonymous
May 12, 2004 1:45:03 PM

Try unreal tournament 2004, You can respawn, you can shoot, no brains are
required.

"stew_mclean" <stewartmclean@supanet.com> schreef in bericht
> Hi,
>
> Counter-Strike has been my weapon of choice for wasting all of my time
> for a while now, but I am starting to get a bit sick of it now. I dont
> think I will ever leave it for good, but for now I fancy something
> else.
>
> I've played Condition-Zero (normal level) but finished it pretty much
> straight away (except for them stupid hostage levels towards the end
> where its very hard to get the hossies out without killing (or your
> team killing) all of the ts.).
>
> Anyone have any suggestions of what to try next? At least until
> half-life 2 comes out (if ever). I dont like these ww2 style ones. I
> like multiplayer. I would like one that has re-spawn straight away. Im
> not bothered if its doom-esque (unrealistic) vs CS-like (more
> realistic). I dont like sitting round waiting for stuff to happen. I
> like to play stuff in bursts of about an hour, rather than playing for
> hours at a time.
>
> Even a good non-fps multiplayer game would be ok. Perhaps a racing
> game.
>
> Ideas?
Anonymous
May 12, 2004 5:30:21 PM

I just want so say TOCA racing driver 2...
I was in your situation.. just got fed up with all alterations in steam CS
1.6 and have been playing tournament teamplay since the release of CS 1.1 we
just started to test TOCA and loved it now we are gonna put up an dedicated
Inet server to have tournaments on :)
just to let you know....
also found CZ to easy the only real problem was to find alla Ts and kill
them in 45 sec :)

"stew_mclean" <stewartmclean@supanet.com> skrev i meddelandet
> Hi,
>
> Counter-Strike has been my weapon of choice for wasting all of my time
> for a while now, but I am starting to get a bit sick of it now. I dont
> think I will ever leave it for good, but for now I fancy something
> else.
>
> I've played Condition-Zero (normal level) but finished it pretty much
> straight away (except for them stupid hostage levels towards the end
> where its very hard to get the hossies out without killing (or your
> team killing) all of the ts.).
>
> Anyone have any suggestions of what to try next? At least until
> half-life 2 comes out (if ever). I dont like these ww2 style ones. I
> like multiplayer. I would like one that has re-spawn straight away. Im
> not bothered if its doom-esque (unrealistic) vs CS-like (more
> realistic). I dont like sitting round waiting for stuff to happen. I
> like to play stuff in bursts of about an hour, rather than playing for
> hours at a time.
>
> Even a good non-fps multiplayer game would be ok. Perhaps a racing
> game.
>
> Ideas?
May 12, 2004 5:31:10 PM

On 12 May 2004 01:05:08 -0700, stewartmclean@supanet.com (stew_mclean)
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Counter-Strike has been my weapon of choice for wasting all of my time
>for a while now, but I am starting to get a bit sick of it now. I dont
>think I will ever leave it for good, but for now I fancy something
>else.
>
>I've played Condition-Zero (normal level) but finished it pretty much
>straight away (except for them stupid hostage levels towards the end
>where its very hard to get the hossies out without killing (or your
>team killing) all of the ts.).
>
>Anyone have any suggestions of what to try next? At least until
>half-life 2 comes out (if ever). I dont like these ww2 style ones. I
>like multiplayer. I would like one that has re-spawn straight away. Im
>not bothered if its doom-esque (unrealistic) vs CS-like (more
>realistic). I dont like sitting round waiting for stuff to happen. I
>like to play stuff in bursts of about an hour, rather than playing for
>hours at a time.
>
>Even a good non-fps multiplayer game would be ok. Perhaps a racing
>game.
>
>Ideas?

A really good half life mod is natural selection.i have been playing
it for a few months now,and its taking me away from cs totaly.Tis
really very very good,give it a try. http://www.natural-selection.org/
Anonymous
May 12, 2004 10:05:39 PM

"stew_mclean" <stewartmclean@supanet.com> wrote in message
> Anyone have any suggestions of what to try next?

Painkiller or UT2004 or both
Anonymous
May 12, 2004 10:07:11 PM

"I like toys and cake" <somegeexer@aplace.aa> wrote in message

> "stew_mclean" <stewartmclean@supanet.com> wrote in message
> > Anyone have any suggestions of what to try next?
>
> Painkiller or UT2004 or both

and far cry
Anonymous
May 13, 2004 2:57:02 AM

> A really good half life mod is natural selection.i have been playing
> it for a few months now,and its taking me away from cs totaly.Tis
> really very very good,give it a try. http://www.natural-selection.org/

Unfortunately, for me, the thing that makes CS so good is the thing that
makes NS so bad - the character animation... :(
Anonymous
May 13, 2004 2:57:03 AM

AB wrote:

> I've downloaded NS, but there isn't an exe file.
>
> How do you get it to run?

http://www.natural-selection.org/

Downloads - download the beta one client. It's a 189MB
installer program. Then install the patches.
Anonymous
May 13, 2004 6:12:24 AM

Try Raven Shield.
The Cool things
1 - coop multiplayer is a nice feature, more like a "team" experiance rather
than run & gun.
2 - Better graphics
3 - The multiplayer can be fast and furious on some maps
4 - Tons of weapons to choose from

Has a few downsides.
1 - you have to get the Athena Sword to really connect to any servers (Very
few are still running the original version)
2 - Coop multiplayer can take forever if you die first.(you have to wait
till all die or map is completed.)
3 - requres a fast system for the nice graphics
4 - no in game voice support

Happy hunting!
Squat

"DJaffe" <djaffe@pandora.be> wrote in message
> Try unreal tournament 2004, You can respawn, you can shoot, no brains are
> required.
>

> "stew_mclean" <stewartmclean@supanet.com> schreef in bericht
> > Hi,
> >
> > Counter-Strike has been my weapon of choice for wasting all of my time
> > for a while now, but I am starting to get a bit sick of it now. I dont
> > think I will ever leave it for good, but for now I fancy something
> > else.
> >
> > I've played Condition-Zero (normal level) but finished it pretty much
> > straight away (except for them stupid hostage levels towards the end
> > where its very hard to get the hossies out without killing (or your
> > team killing) all of the ts.).
> >
> > Anyone have any suggestions of what to try next? At least until
> > half-life 2 comes out (if ever). I dont like these ww2 style ones. I
> > like multiplayer. I would like one that has re-spawn straight away. Im
> > not bothered if its doom-esque (unrealistic) vs CS-like (more
> > realistic). I dont like sitting round waiting for stuff to happen. I
> > like to play stuff in bursts of about an hour, rather than playing for
> > hours at a time.
> >
> > Even a good non-fps multiplayer game would be ok. Perhaps a racing
> > game.
> >
> > Ideas?

Anonymous
May 13, 2004 9:42:13 PM

> I just want so say TOCA racing driver 2...
> I was in your situation.. just got fed up with all alterations in steam CS
> 1.6 and have been playing tournament teamplay since the release of CS 1.1
we
> just started to test TOCA and loved it now we are gonna put up an
dedicated
> Inet server to have tournaments on :)
> just to let you know....
> also found CZ to easy the only real problem was to find alla Ts and kill
> them in 45 sec :)

TRD2 is OK but the handling is totally unrealistic. It feels awful with a
steering wheel & pedals.....same for CMR4 <sigh>
!