Waviness in DVD image of 8mm movies when panning

Doc

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003

After converting 8mm movies to avi then putting them on DVD, I discovered
that some, though not all of them, exhibit this odd fluttering waviness
whenever the image pans. It's not visible in the original in the original
avi files on the computer, nor is it visible when playing the DVD on a
computer, only on a tv. Just to be clear, this is not like the "combing" of
uncoverted interlaced images captured with 2 fields. this is altogether
different.

However, I find that not all of the chapters on the DVD do this. I realized
that some of them were captured at different frame sizes, some cropped, some
not, though at the same data rate. Could that have something to do with it?

Thanks for all responses.

"Doc" <docsavage20@Xhotmail.com> wrote:

>After converting 8mm movies to avi then putting them on DVD, I discovered
>that some, though not all of them, exhibit this odd fluttering waviness
>whenever the image pans. It's not visible in the original in the original
>avi files on the computer, nor is it visible when playing the DVD on a
>computer, only on a tv. Just to be clear, this is not like the "combing" of
>uncoverted interlaced images captured with 2 fields. this is altogether
>different.

You're sure it isn't incorrect field order? It sure sounds like it
could be.

>However, I find that not all of the chapters on the DVD do this. I realized
>that some of them were captured at different frame sizes, some cropped, some
>not, though at the same data rate. Could that have something to do with it?

If the bitrate is too low to support the resolution, it could look
pretty bad while panning as that requires a higher bitrate than a
still shot. But I would expect that to be apparent on both the TV and
the computer. Since your problem only appears on the TV, I think
incorrect field order is the most likely culprit. You don't say what
you used for capturing, but some capture cards have an unpredictable
field order (i.e. it may switch from one capture to the next); so if
you have one of those and you assumed a certain field order for all
your captures, some of them would end up looking fine while others
would not.

Doc

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003

<DeepOne@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
> You don't say what
> you used for capturing, but some capture cards have an unpredictable
> field order (i.e. it may switch from one capture to the next); so if
> you have one of those and you assumed a certain field order for all
> your captures, some of them would end up looking fine while others
> would not.

Hmm. Using a Pinnacle DC10-Plus. Is there some way to change the field order
without recapturing the footage?