Remote Desktop

October 3, 2004 10:17:32 PM

I have been attempting to create a connection from
my home to office using a linksys router wrt54g. I have
enabled port forwardning 3389 & 3390, DMZ & IPsec, PPPoE
& PPTP. I have setup the VPN on the client (seems easy
enough) and the host (seems too easy). Has anyone done
this successfully and has some information.

Assisstance is greatly appreciated,
Sean

More about : remote desktop

Anonymous
October 4, 2004 9:15:49 AM

What exactly are you trying to do or what do you want to do? Opening multiple ports for Remote
Desktop, enabling the DMZ and enabling IPSec/PPTP VPN all at the same time are a bit counter
productive.

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Sean" <Sean8621@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:3bc401c4a9af$ec300f00$a601280a@phx.gbl...
> I have been attempting to create a connection from
> my home to office using a linksys router wrt54g. I have
> enabled port forwardning 3389 & 3390, DMZ & IPsec, PPPoE
> & PPTP. I have setup the VPN on the client (seems easy
> enough) and the host (seems too easy). Has anyone done
> this successfully and has some information.
>
> Assisstance is greatly appreciated,
> Sean
October 4, 2004 9:28:15 PM

1. The PPTP has to be enabled for a secure banklink to
function
2. I was told to use those ports for Microsoft Remote
Desktop & to enable DMZ.

Other than that all I am trying to do is connect
remotely to my office computer.

Your help is appreciated,

Sean

group for the mutual benefit of all of us...
>The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
confers no rights...

>"Sean" <Sean8621@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> I have been attempting to create a connection from
>> my home to office using a linksys router wrt54g. I have
>> enabled port forwardning 3389 & 3390, DMZ & IPsec,
PPPoE
>> & PPTP. I have setup the VPN on the client (seems easy
>> enough) and the host (seems too easy). Has anyone done
>> this successfully and has some information.
>>
>> Assisstance is greatly appreciated,
>> Sean
>
>.

October 5, 2004 9:53:36 AM

Remote Desktop uses TCP Port 3389. No need for the DMZ which *fully exposes* the PC to the public
internet and can be a potential and probable security risk.

Is the router at the office end?
Are you trying to use Remote Desktop to access the office PC?
If so, forward TCP Port 3389 through the router to the LAN IP of the PC your trying to access. Make
sure the PC is using a static IP address...

http://www.portforward.com/linksys/wrt54g.htm
http://www.portforward.com/networking/static-xp.htm

Call using the public IP of the router, ie. the IP assigned by the ISP...

This presumes Remote Desktop is enabled on the target PC...

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/mobility/getst...

--

"Sean" <Sean8621@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:3ba101c4aa72$343775a0$a401280a@phx.gbl...
> 1. The PPTP has to be enabled for a secure banklink to
> function
> 2. I was told to use those ports for Microsoft Remote
> Desktop & to enable DMZ.
>
> Other than that all I am trying to do is connect
> remotely to my office computer.
>
> Your help is appreciated,
>
> Sean

Anonymous
October 5, 2004 11:33:22 AM

OK, DMZ is diabled and port 3389 is forwarded to the
internal pc's ip address, however, I do not see a way to
make that ip static. Yes, I am trying to access my office
pc using remote desktop which is enabled.

ted/remoteintro.mspx

>--
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
>
>Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news
group for the mutual benefit of all of us...
>The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
confers no rights...

>"Sean" <Sean8621@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> 1. The PPTP has to be enabled for a secure banklink to
>> function
>> 2. I was told to use those ports for Microsoft Remote
>> Desktop & to enable DMZ.
>>
>> Other than that all I am trying to do is connect
>> remotely to my office computer.
>>
>> Your help is appreciated,
>>
>> Sean

and
>> confers no rights...
>>>
>>>"Sean" <Sean8621@yahoo.com> wrote in message
from
have
>> PPPoE
easy
done

>>>.
>>>

>.

Anonymous
October 5, 2004 1:40:28 PM

Did you look at the static IP reference I pointed you to earlier. Note that this is for your office
PC, ie. the PC your trying to access from home... Port forwarding is also on the office router,
which I am presuming is the Linksys WRT54G...

--

> OK, DMZ is diabled and port 3389 is forwarded to the
> internal pc's ip address, however, I do not see a way to
> make that ip static. Yes, I am trying to access my office
> pc using remote desktop which is enabled.

October 5, 2004 2:04:41 PM

I have completed the LAN static ip and disabled DMZ
without any success accessing from my home.

ar
>> ted/remoteintro.mspx
>>>
>>>--
>>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
>>>
>>>Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news
>> group for the mutual benefit of all of us...
>>>The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
>>>This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties,
and
>> confers no rights...
>>>
>>>"Sean" <Sean8621@yahoo.com> wrote in message

October 5, 2004 6:40:23 PM

I was able to connect after disabling IPsec and port
3390.

Thanks for your help Al. I was starting to pull my
hair out talking to linksys. The last tech I spoke to
said I had to buy 3rd party software.

Thanks,
Sean

appreciated,