RDC drops connection in SP2 with VPN

Ok, I have been reading but have yet to find an answer
for the following scenario:

I have two PC's at home that I use to connect to my
corporate LAN using a VPN tunnel server. Once connected
I use Remote Desktop Connection (RDC) to access my office
PC. This has worked just fine for over a year.

However, I have recently installed SP2 on one of my home
PC's. Ever since then my VPN seems to still work,
however, my RDC disconnects after about 5 seconds, and
will not reconnect until I disable and reenable the VPN
connection. I have taken all steps to open ports and
make exceptions in the Windows firewall, but to no
avail. Disabling the firewall has not fixed the problem
either.

The other PC (SP1) still connects and functions as usual,
and both PC's are configured exactly the same, the only
exception is the service pack level.

Any help would be appreciated.

Matt
9 answers Last reply
More about drops connection

    What software is involved in setting up the VPN?

    Can you uninstall and reinstall that software, or perhaps uninstall it and
    install a newer version if available?

    "Matt" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Ok, I have been reading but have yet to find an answer
    > for the following scenario:
    >
    > I have two PC's at home that I use to connect to my
    > corporate LAN using a VPN tunnel server. Once connected
    > I use Remote Desktop Connection (RDC) to access my office
    > PC. This has worked just fine for over a year.
    >
    > However, I have recently installed SP2 on one of my home
    > PC's. Ever since then my VPN seems to still work,
    > however, my RDC disconnects after about 5 seconds, and
    > will not reconnect until I disable and reenable the VPN
    > connection. I have taken all steps to open ports and
    > make exceptions in the Windows firewall, but to no
    > avail. Disabling the firewall has not fixed the problem
    > either.
    >
    > The other PC (SP1) still connects and functions as usual,
    > and both PC's are configured exactly the same, the only
    > exception is the service pack level.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Matt

    I created the VPN connection using the standard WindowsXP
    connection wizard. I have tried deleting the existing
    VPN setup, and created a new one, in case some
    permissions or settings were not carried over to the SP2
    version. This did not resolve the issue.

    Matt

    Thanks, I was wondering whether there might be proprietary VPN software
    involved.

    Did anything else change at the time of the SP2 change? Might you also have
    applied SP2 at the host machine? Might the video driver have changed at the
    host machine?

    One issue I think of is with Nvidia drivers on the host machine--you might
    check via WindowsUpdate on the host to see whether a newer video driver is
    available. If so--go for that.

    Otherwise, I think I'd punt to Microsoft Product support, which is free for
    SP2 issues:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;en-us;Prodoffer80&sd=GN

    >I created the VPN connection using the standard WindowsXP
    > connection wizard. I have tried deleting the existing
    > VPN setup, and created a new one, in case some
    > permissions or settings were not carried over to the SP2
    > version. This did not resolve the issue.
    >
    > Matt

    I have the exact same issue. I have a WatchGuard FireBox
    II at my small office. Behind it sits my LAN. I have
    been happily accessing machines remotely over a VPN
    connection for several years using a SafeNet VPN client
    and the WG VPN server.

    I installed XP SP2 on the machine on my office LAN
    first. I was still able to connect to it from a remote
    location through the VPN tunnel with a machine running XP
    SP1 (my laptop). So, I mistakenly thought everything was
    OK with SP2 and installed it on my laptop. Now Remote
    Desktop claims that "The connection to the remote
    computer has been broken". Everything else about the VPN
    tunnel still works. I can access all other non-XP SP2
    machines on the network.

    The "firewall" is off on both machines. (Even if it
    weren't RDP is a default exception in the Firewall's
    exception list)

    This is definitely a SP2 issue.

    I read a blurb somewhere about some hotfixes and patches
    that may resolve some remote issues over a VPN tunnel,
    has anyone tried them? All of the information seems to
    be related to loopback ports which I don't thing is
    directly related to this problem.

    I'd love to have somebody in this thread call PSS and go through whatever
    they ask.

    I can't guarantee that this'll be an easy fix, but if there's an issue they
    know about--and from the number of reports here, you would think there might
    be--they will be the ones who can give a workaround or at least tell us that
    a fix is in the works.

    "Tom Pizarro" <tpizarro@ecsginc.com> wrote in message
    >I have the exact same issue. I have a WatchGuard FireBox
    > II at my small office. Behind it sits my LAN. I have
    > been happily accessing machines remotely over a VPN
    > connection for several years using a SafeNet VPN client
    > and the WG VPN server.
    >
    > I installed XP SP2 on the machine on my office LAN
    > first. I was still able to connect to it from a remote
    > location through the VPN tunnel with a machine running XP
    > SP1 (my laptop). So, I mistakenly thought everything was
    > OK with SP2 and installed it on my laptop. Now Remote
    > Desktop claims that "The connection to the remote
    > computer has been broken". Everything else about the VPN
    > tunnel still works. I can access all other non-XP SP2
    > machines on the network.
    >
    > The "firewall" is off on both machines. (Even if it
    > weren't RDP is a default exception in the Firewall's
    > exception list)
    >
    > This is definitely a SP2 issue.
    >
    > I read a blurb somewhere about some hotfixes and patches
    > that may resolve some remote issues over a VPN tunnel,
    > has anyone tried them? All of the information seems to
    > be related to loopback ports which I don't thing is
    > directly related to this problem.

    I'd love to call "PSS" if I knew what it was and it
    didn't cost me anything - including LD charges.

    PSS= Product Support Services. These are Microsoft support staff.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;en-us;Prodoffer80&sd=GN

    Read the stuff at the above link and see if it is a free call from where you
    are.

    > I'd love to call "PSS" if I knew what it was and it
    > didn't cost me anything - including LD charges.

    I had much the same problem. RDC via VPN broke after SP2 update.
    This patch from MS fixed it:

    WindowsXP-KB884020-x86-enu.exe

    "Bill Sanderson" wrote:

    > What software is involved in setting up the VPN?
    >
    > Can you uninstall and reinstall that software, or perhaps uninstall it and
    > install a newer version if available?
    >
    > "Matt" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Ok, I have been reading but have yet to find an answer
    > > for the following scenario:
    > >
    > > I have two PC's at home that I use to connect to my
    > > corporate LAN using a VPN tunnel server. Once connected
    > > I use Remote Desktop Connection (RDC) to access my office
    > > PC. This has worked just fine for over a year.
    > >
    > > However, I have recently installed SP2 on one of my home
    > > PC's. Ever since then my VPN seems to still work,
    > > however, my RDC disconnects after about 5 seconds, and
    > > will not reconnect until I disable and reenable the VPN
    > > connection. I have taken all steps to open ports and
    > > make exceptions in the Windows firewall, but to no
    > > avail. Disabling the firewall has not fixed the problem
    > > either.
    > >
    > > The other PC (SP1) still connects and functions as usual,
    > > and both PC's are configured exactly the same, the only
    > > exception is the service pack level.
    > >
    > > Any help would be appreciated.
    > >
    > > Matt

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    Thanks - I haven't got the association of that patch with VPN connections
    clearly in mind, but that should be helpful for others here, I believe.

    What VPN client was involved?

    "wilm" <wilm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I had much the same problem. RDC via VPN broke after SP2 update.
    > This patch from MS fixed it:
    >
    > WindowsXP-KB884020-x86-enu.exe
    >

    > "Bill Sanderson" wrote:
    >
    >> What software is involved in setting up the VPN?
    >>
    >> Can you uninstall and reinstall that software, or perhaps uninstall it
    >> and
    >> install a newer version if available?
    >>
    >> "Matt" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Ok, I have been reading but have yet to find an answer
    >> > for the following scenario:
    >> >
    >> > I have two PC's at home that I use to connect to my
    >> > corporate LAN using a VPN tunnel server. Once connected
    >> > I use Remote Desktop Connection (RDC) to access my office
    >> > PC. This has worked just fine for over a year.
    >> >
    >> > However, I have recently installed SP2 on one of my home
    >> > PC's. Ever since then my VPN seems to still work,
    >> > however, my RDC disconnects after about 5 seconds, and
    >> > will not reconnect until I disable and reenable the VPN
    >> > connection. I have taken all steps to open ports and
    >> > make exceptions in the Windows firewall, but to no
    >> > avail. Disabling the firewall has not fixed the problem
    >> > either.
    >> >
    >> > The other PC (SP1) still connects and functions as usual,
    >> > and both PC's are configured exactly the same, the only
    >> > exception is the service pack level.
    >> >
    >> > Any help would be appreciated.
    >> >
    >> > Matt

Connection vpn Windows XP