Discussion More then 600,000 Mac's infected with Flashback malware

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi :)

Macs have ALWAYS been able to get Viruses...its more common lately...

We get a few people each WEEK come into my shops asking if we fix Mac viruses (we dont) and we point them to Norton Anti Virus for MACS....

All the best Brett :)

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
What is wrong with Sophos AV or Clam Xva to use with Macs.They are free also.

th3parasit3

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
I have a unhealthy distain for Apple computers. I have to deal with too many customers that buy them and do not know how to operate them. This should only be breaking news for that demographic.

Confused when certain government sites won't work properly in Safari/Firefox/Chrome... or angry when they need to install Windows XP/7 because their college uses software programmed for Windows only.

They are all overpriced machines that are generally 6 months behind and require a "Genius" with suction cups to repair them. The one good thing that their laptops feature is a coffer cup warmer... it moves from year to year.

Now that the virus free myth has finally been publicly broadcasted... I wonder if it will slow Apple's growth a bit.

Yea i was reading this Article earlier. I infact was trying to figure on how to post the website as a article on toms. Maybe not the Windows Community will rise again... or catch a bigger break from all the Malware that mac is about to get. Sad this is.... i also have a Macbook 13 inch and this desktop. hope my Macbook doesn't infect. I need it for College

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011

If you a half of a brain you learn how to use the Mac computers.Read all about Mac and you can learn very quickly to operate their OS.Wrong they are not overpriced machines in life you get what you pay for the old cliche.They have good quality control and excellent customer service.Asus, Lenovo, and dell stinks with their quality control and customer service.

I think that was his point. Most Mac users don't have half a brain. Not all. But they market themselves to be the "easy" computer and lie to theirs users about security so what do you expect.

The rest of his points are perfectly valid. Their hardware does lag way behind. and you do severely overpay for it. That's just what Mac is and they are proud of their high margins and ripping off their customers. When you consider the limited capabilities and the fact you'll end up having to buy windows to use most software the cost benefit analysis just gets worse. I'd know I've had to repair my friends "infallible" MacBook several times and put windows on it for her for school.

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
I guess you are a sucker and love to download Windows Updates and pay their bullshit prices for their software.Windows stinks! I used it for years and it is no dam good.

I love to download Windows Updates. Microsoft should be, and no doubt are, very proud at the speed with which they respond to bugs and security issues. If only Apple could get their act together on this point then OS X would be a much better OS (not that it's not as good as Windows in other respects).

Apple's lack of speed in attending to security concerns, and their general attitude of denial on this subject, is reprehensible.

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
I guess Apple cares about their financial gains instead of their customers which is unfortunate.Again Windows has to many dam updates to keep with.

aicom

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
I have a MacBook Pro 13-inch dual booting between OS X and Win8 (OS X is primary) and my desktop is the rig below in my signature (running Windows 7). I absolutely love both computers. The MBP has great battery life and is very solidly built. It doesn't have the greatest specs (that's for my desktop) and I don't care, because it's enough for daily mobile computing. The most important part of it is that it's a great laptop for mobile work like coding, writing papers, surfing the web, etc. I don't expect it to run BF3 or run 4 virtual machines at once. My desktop also has its place as the big brute machine that does work that my weaker MBP can't handle in a timely manner. I game on that machine and compile huge projects (completing in 1/3 of the time of the MBP). The main point of all this is that both machines have a place.

I generally respect your opinion, but come on, thats just trolling.

The price of Widows(software company) will clearly be more then a hardware/software company. But the hardware is cheaper.

As for updates, as others say, MS prides them selves on getting updates out fast. This is GOOD for the customer(and important when you have large market share.).

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
If is was done correctly in the first place there would be no need for all these updates which sometimes are not even necessary.

voodooking

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2012
I know this sounds horrible but I kinda like it. I have several friends who have Macs and I love talking trash to them about it. They have been so arrogant for so long. It's great to knock them down a few pegs.

We tease them by quoting the mock-umentry "Best in Show." The scene where the two neurotic lawyers were telling their shrink about how they met. They both had to say they were at a Starbucks, the exact trendy coffee they were drinking. They both say how they were on their Macs. Look at each other and smile... Great writting. Great character development.

Marv: Have you ever tried to write an operating system? Do you understand just how mind bogglingly difficult it is and how many ways there are for things to go wrong? And that's not to mention all the user programs, such as web browsers, that go with it.

Any decent software developer understands that all software has bugs or unforeseen behaviour. The difference between a good programmer and a bad one is that a good one will fix bugs as they are discoverd, and regularly update the software. The bad ones will shrug their shoulders, say "Hey, I've already got the money, what do I care", and only issue updates when forced to.

I'll leave you to apply that to the world of operating systems as you see fit.

Yes this is simply the way things work once you get to be in the larger market share, many people are trying to crack into the larger market shared systems so windows has to be more up to date on its security leaks if it has any and has to reverse engineer many programs that attempt to hack into windows to find what holes need patching up

If macs were above windows in market share, hackers would target them. If apple did not respond to incoming threats on security holes or various browser exploits etc then what would you have? thousands upon thousands of macs. Think of the updates as virus definitions updates for your AV/Firewall/Malware programs are they omg I better download and install this right now or my pc is gonna explode necessary? nah not really but its always a good idea to install an update at the end of a day before shutting down and going to sleep.

TL;DR: gotta get them systems up to date so people aren't vulnerable.

Status
Not open for further replies.