Kodak NIMH Battery

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
May 16, 2005 4:54:59 PM

Hello everybody,
Just wondering if anybody has tried pulling apart the Kodak KAA2HR battery
pack and replacing the batteries with longer lasting and more powerful
batteries like energiser 2300mah. This would enable them to be charged in
the camera dock. If the energiser batteries are put in the camera on their
own you have to charge them externally with a separate charger. Is it safe
to do this? I am using the original camera dock and don't want to damage it
or the camera.
Thanks for any advice.
Dean

More about : kodak nimh battery

Anonymous
May 16, 2005 4:55:00 PM

On Mon, 16 May 2005 12:54:59 +1000, "Dean Zito"
<dzito@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

>Just wondering if anybody has tried pulling apart the Kodak KAA2HR battery
>pack and replacing the batteries with longer lasting and more powerful
>batteries like energiser 2300mah.
[snip]

A theorial possibility is the pastic tab on the back of the battery
pack triggers a switch inside the camera's battery compartment. If
you can insert a dummy piece to activate the switch while higher
capacity NiMH's are inserted, they would get recharged in a dock.
just make sure you don't try this with disposable AA's as it may
destroy the camera.
May 16, 2005 7:47:54 PM

"Dean Zito" <dzito@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> Hello everybody,
> Just wondering if anybody has tried pulling apart the Kodak KAA2HR battery
> pack and replacing the batteries with longer lasting and more powerful
> batteries like energiser 2300mah. This would enable them to be charged in
> the camera dock. If the energiser batteries are put in the camera on their
> own you have to charge them externally with a separate charger. Is it safe
> to do this? I am using the original camera dock and don't want to damage
> it
> or the camera.
> Thanks for any advice.
> Dean
>
>former post on fuji batteries from critcher looks like same problem

"just bought this camera and also the picture cradle, which states that you
can only charge the nh-10 battery and not any other batteries that you may
use in the camera, anybody know why this is so. I would have thought that if
the camera was using two separate Ni-MH batteries instead of the twinned
NH-10 then it would charge ok, any ideas anyone."
May 18, 2005 11:54:24 PM

You have to understand that these are proprietary batteries we're taking
about.
That is, made for Kodak Camera's only,
In that respect, you have to consider this when making the purchase.
In any case, when choosing a new Camera, one should only consider a
Camera
that uses the newer type Li-Ion. With this battery it is no contest with
any other battery.
My Kodak Camera uses this type, and I can tell you they seem to last
forever.
As with all batteries of course, you should have a spare...

"critcher" <dennisgange@gothere.uk.com> wrote in message

> "Dean Zito" <dzito@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
>> Hello everybody,
>> Just wondering if anybody has tried pulling apart the Kodak KAA2HR
>> battery
>> pack and replacing the batteries with longer lasting and more powerful
>> batteries like energiser 2300mah. This would enable them to be charged in
>> the camera dock. If the energiser batteries are put in the camera on
>> their
>> own you have to charge them externally with a separate charger. Is it
>> safe
>> to do this? I am using the original camera dock and don't want to damage
>> it
>> or the camera.
>> Thanks for any advice.
>> Dean
>>
>>former post on fuji batteries from critcher looks like same problem
>
> "just bought this camera and also the picture cradle, which states that
> you
> can only charge the nh-10 battery and not any other batteries that you may
> use in the camera, anybody know why this is so. I would have thought that
> if
> the camera was using two separate Ni-MH batteries instead of the twinned
> NH-10 then it would charge ok, any ideas anyone."

Anonymous
May 19, 2005 11:09:08 PM

critcher says
the ni-mh batteries are very good and give a very long usage time.

"Yoonome" <Yoonome@Yoonowhere.com> wrote in message
> You have to understand that these are proprietary batteries we're
> taking about.
> That is, made for Kodak Camera's only,
> In that respect, you have to consider this when making the purchase.
> In any case, when choosing a new Camera, one should only consider a
> Camera
> that uses the newer type Li-Ion. With this battery it is no contest
> with any other battery.
> My Kodak Camera uses this type, and I can tell you they seem to last
> forever.
> As with all batteries of course, you should have a spare...
>
> "critcher" <dennisgange@gothere.uk.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Dean Zito" <dzito@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
>>> Hello everybody,
>>> Just wondering if anybody has tried pulling apart the Kodak KAA2HR
>>> battery
>>> pack and replacing the batteries with longer lasting and more powerful
>>> batteries like energiser 2300mah. This would enable them to be charged
>>> in
>>> the camera dock. If the energiser batteries are put in the camera on
>>> their
>>> own you have to charge them externally with a separate charger. Is it
>>> safe
>>> to do this? I am using the original camera dock and don't want to damage
>>> it
>>> or the camera.
>>> Thanks for any advice.
>>> Dean
>>>
>>>former post on fuji batteries from critcher looks like same problem
>>
>> "just bought this camera and also the picture cradle, which states that
>> you
>> can only charge the nh-10 battery and not any other batteries that you
>> may
>> use in the camera, anybody know why this is so. I would have thought that
>> if
>> the camera was using two separate Ni-MH batteries instead of the twinned
>> NH-10 then it would charge ok, any ideas anyone."

Anonymous
May 20, 2005 6:18:28 PM

Greetings Dean,

Actually, Kodak sells a high mAh battery pack, i.e. 2100. They is not 2300
but do a very nice job. As to using non Kodak batteries in your camera,
please be aware that the packs that we sell are configured to work with
Kodak Docks and Printer Docks so they will charge while in the camera and
on the dock<s> It is a very nice system. You can use individual batteries
as well, but will have to charge them in their own devices or chargers.

Talk to you soon,

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

"Dean Zito" <dzito@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> Hello everybody,
> Just wondering if anybody has tried pulling apart the Kodak KAA2HR battery
> pack and replacing the batteries with longer lasting and more powerful
> batteries like energiser 2300mah. This would enable them to be charged in
> the camera dock. If the energiser batteries are put in the camera on their
> own you have to charge them externally with a separate charger. Is it safe
> to do this? I am using the original camera dock and don't want to damage
it
> or the camera.
> Thanks for any advice.
> Dean

Anonymous
May 20, 2005 6:36:09 PM

Greetings Dean,

The Kodak EasyShare System incorporates a sensor in the camera that starts
the charging process. Without throwing that switch charging does not occur.
The switch feature is in the band that ties the two batteries together. If
you remove it or do not use this special feature charging will not occur.
You would have to use an external charger (wall charger) etc. Non-Kodak
rechargeable batteries will power the camera but not be charged in the
camera.

Talk to you soon.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

"critcher" <dennisgange@gothere.uk.com> wrote in message

> "Dean Zito" <dzito@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> > Hello everybody,
> > Just wondering if anybody has tried pulling apart the Kodak KAA2HR
battery
> > pack and replacing the batteries with longer lasting and more powerful
> > batteries like energiser 2300mah. This would enable them to be charged
in
> > the camera dock. If the energiser batteries are put in the camera on
their
> > own you have to charge them externally with a separate charger. Is it
safe
> > to do this? I am using the original camera dock and don't want to damage
> > it
> > or the camera.
> > Thanks for any advice.
> > Dean
> >
> >former post on fuji batteries from critcher looks like same problem
>
> "just bought this camera and also the picture cradle, which states that
you
> can only charge the nh-10 battery and not any other batteries that you may
> use in the camera, anybody know why this is so. I would have thought that
if
> the camera was using two separate Ni-MH batteries instead of the twinned
> NH-10 then it would charge ok, any ideas anyone."

Anonymous
May 21, 2005 1:31:30 AM

Critcher... You ain't seen nothing yet, till you try the Li-Ion

!