AVI or MPEG?

Which format will retain a better quality image & sound when converted
from DVD... avi or mpeg format?

Thanks

I want to take a DVD, convert it to AVI or MPEG so I can edit it (move
scenes around), then burn my own DVD...thanks

<mwc0914@aol.com> wrote in message
>I want to take a DVD, convert it to AVI or MPEG so I can edit it (move
> scenes around), then burn my own DVD...thanks

DVDs are encoded as mpegs (for unencrypted ones, simply rename the .vob
files to .mpg). You're best off keeping the DVD in mpeg so don't lose
quality transcoding to AVI and then back to mpeg. However, there aren't a
lot of editors out there that work well with mpeg and, of course, if you add
transitions, color correct, etc., you'll still have to render, losing a
little quality in the process. If all you're doing is cuts editing, you
shouldn't have too much of a problem.

> Which format will retain a better quality image & sound when converted
> from DVD... avi or mpeg format?
>
> Thanks

The DVD contains mpeg-2 which is highly compressed video.
Using a utility to extract that back to a mpg2 file on your
system will not have any loss, so it is the "better quality".
Converting to an avi (which is actually a wrapper for several
different formats) format like DV or something, involves
changing the compression so there will be a degradation
of the image quality. Depending on your needs, the tools
used etc, that may or may not be acceptable to you, but
there will be a loss when you change compression types if
there is a lossy (like mpg2) format involved. You would
have to experiment to see what works for you.

sparky

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2003

On 26 Dec 2004 11:21:02 -0800, mwc0914@aol.com wrote:

>I want to take a DVD, convert it to AVI or MPEG so I can edit it (move
>scenes around), then burn my own DVD...thanks

I have followed this type thread and tried many suggested solutions
but none worked well. I found a free program called DVDx (DVDx 2.3 :
DVD to VCD/SCVD/AVI converter by Jean-Luc PONS) at www.videohelp.com
along with a detailed guide. The program is quite simple to setup and
use. vob files output to VCD/SVCD/AVI along with ac3 to stereo avi
conversion. Editing is them possible with Premiere Pro or reencode to
DVD with TMPEGnc or .avi editor of your choice. Video and audio
quality is very good with minimal loss.

My project was to convert family VHS tapes to DVD about 2 years ago
and all went well. Now I do not have access to the original tapes and
needed to convert DVD back to .avi file for cut/edit into different
family sequences and production effects.

DVDx works. Please give it a try and post feedback here.

DVD to VCD/SCVD/AVI converter by Jean-Luc PONS) at www.videohelp.com
along with a detailed guide. The program is quite simple to setup and
use. vob files output to VCD/SVCD/AVI along with ac3 to stereo avi
conversion. Editing is them possible with Premiere Pro or reencode to
DVD with TMPEGnc or .avi editor of your choice. Video and audio
quality is very good with minimal loss.

My project was to convert family VHS tapes to DVD about 2 years ago
and all went well. Now I do not have access to the original tapes and
needed to convert DVD back to .avi file for cut/edit into different
family sequences and production effects.

DVDx works. Please give it a try and post feedback here.

> Which format will retain a better quality image & sound when converted
> from DVD... avi or mpeg format?

All things being even, DIVX/XVID is a far more efficient format than MPEG in
terms of quality, particularly at low bitrates. Sound is a seperate issue.
AC3 is very good, but MP3 isn't half bad either.

Thanks all....I own Vegas 4.0 + DVD Arch, so I have a good editor. I
had a response via email that said I could just rename the .vob files
to .mpg because my DVD is not encoded. I will try that plus try the
DVDx to convert to avi.

> Which format will retain a better quality image & sound when converted
> from DVD... avi or mpeg format?

My previous answer assumed you wanted to re-encode the DVD video, but if you
are looking for something to work with for editing or other processing
purposes, an uncompressed or HuffyUV compressed AVI would probably be the
best choice, if you have enough HD space. If you told us exactly what it is
you plan to do, we might be able to give you a better or more relevant
answer.

> I want to take a DVD, convert it to AVI or MPEG so I can edit it (move
> scenes around), then burn my own DVD...thanks

Then you should definitely use a non-lossy format like uncompressed or
HuffyUV compressed AVI. It would be a terrible idea to convert it to MPEG
for editing, as DVDs are already MPEG2 and it would introduce an unnecessary
quality drop. It is possible to edit the original DVD/MPEG2 file, but it
won't be frame accurate.

I don't want to sound rude, but if you don't know these things, there are a
few other hurdles you might hit in the editing/encoding process as well. I
suggest you read some of the guides on doom9.org and videohelp.com,
particularly regarding interlacing and 3:2 pulldown.

Actually, TMPGenc have a nice MPEG2 editor, which does basic editing and
only re-encodes a few frames. If you don't need anything really advanced,
such as fades, wipes, etc, that might be a good way to go.

"Chris M" <dontsendmeyoursp@m.aus.co.de> wrote in message
>> I want to take a DVD, convert it to AVI or MPEG so I can edit it (move
>> scenes around), then burn my own DVD...thanks
>
> Then you should definitely use a non-lossy format like uncompressed or
> HuffyUV compressed AVI. It would be a terrible idea to convert it to MPEG
> for editing, as DVDs are already MPEG2 and it would introduce an
> unnecessary
> quality drop. It is possible to edit the original DVD/MPEG2 file, but it
> won't be frame accurate.

There are a number of editors around that can do frame-accurate mpeg
editing.

> I don't want to sound rude, but if you don't know these things, there are
> few other hurdles you might hit in the editing/encoding process as well. I
> suggest you read some of the guides on doom9.org and videohelp.com,
> particularly regarding interlacing and 3:2 pulldown.
>
> Actually, TMPGenc have a nice MPEG2 editor, which does basic editing and
> only re-encodes a few frames. If you don't need anything really advanced,
> such as fades, wipes, etc, that might be a good way to go.

And I see you know of one of them.

Well, DVDx almost worked....it transferred the video great, but the
audio is eveidently in ac3 format, and Vegas 4.0 can't handle that. Is
there a way in DVDx to export the audio in a different format?

Or what about a different product total solution (audio & video) that
works with Vegas 4.0?

mwc0914@aol.com wrote:
> Well, DVDx almost worked....it transferred the video great, but the
> audio is eveidently in ac3 format, and Vegas 4.0 can't handle that. Is
> there a way in DVDx to export the audio in a different format?
>
> Or what about a different product total solution (audio & video) that
> works with Vegas 4.0?

For audio convertors, try AC3 Decoder from
http://www.users.on.net/~rsobon/ac3dec.html
or BeSweet from http://dspguru.notrace.dk/

Mike