AVI->MPG2 increases the size

I have an AVI video clip (~90 mins long). Its resolution is 480X480. I
wanted to be able to play it in stand alone DVD player. Since the size
of the clip was ~675MB I thought the encoded clip would easily fit on
one CD. I then started nero and selected this clip and asked it it to
burn this in SVCD format onto a 80min blank. It took 2-3 hours for
encoding and finally said the CD wasn't large enough to hold the
encoded file and asked me to insert another CD. The encoded file size
was ~835MB! Why was this so large? I also didn't understand why nero
didn't offer me the option of burning on multiple CDs. I had to then
cancel out of the app and lost the encoded file. How does one burn this
on multiple CDs using Nero?

thanks
SS
3 answers Last reply
More about mpg2 increases size

    Can you reccommend some DVD players that play DIVx encoded AVI files?

    > Can you reccommend some DVD players that play DIVx encoded AVI files?

    I don't have one myself, but if you post a question for the group on the
    subject, I'm sure people will be happy to help. Also, try some of the DVD
    player specific groups.

    www.videohelp.com also have a DVD player comparison chart, and its search
    system can isolate DIVX compaible players. Most of the players listed have
    tons of user comments.

    On 26 Dec 2004 10:39:08 -0800, "SS" <misid12@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >Can you reccommend some DVD players that play DIVx encoded AVI files?

    The Philips 642, available at Target, CompUSA, and Walmart for
    $70. Can be easily made region free, converts PAL to NTSC, and plays
    most Divx and Xvid encoded files.

    Neil Nadelman arvy@navzr-genafyngbe.pbz (ROT13)
    I have no fears in life,
    for I have already survived Theta-G!