jeff

Hello I do not use DHCP with My network. I have Linksys
router and I have port forwarding on the router enabled
with my 3 machines. I have Win xp pro with XP sp2 desktop
another desktop with Win2k server and a laptop with Win XP
home edition with SP2 on it. I forwarded the ports for
all three machines and I tried to access them locally and
no go I can not access the 2k server nor the laptop. I
can access my main machine. How do you install RD on the
2k server I did from the XP cd I have and it screwed up my
system and also on the Home edition on my laptop. Any help
will do thanks.

Jeff,

You can *NOT* run Remote Desktop in host mode on either a W2K Server or a XP Home box. If you have
Terminal Server installed on the W2K box you can access that using Remote Desktop client. I suggest
posting to the microsoft.public.windows.terminal_services news group for help with TS and W2K server
issues... Perhaps one of the other MVPs, or someone else as knowledgeable, can help also with those
issues...

An alternative for XP Home is UltraVNC. Get the server, client and encryption plug-in (important if
you use UltraVNC over the public internet) software from...

http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/
http://home.comcast.net/%7Emsrc4plugin/

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Jeff" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello I do not use DHCP with My network. I have Linksys
> router and I have port forwarding on the router enabled
> with my 3 machines. I have Win xp pro with XP sp2 desktop
> another desktop with Win2k server and a laptop with Win XP
> home edition with SP2 on it. I forwarded the ports for
> all three machines and I tried to access them locally and
> no go I can not access the 2k server nor the laptop. I
> can access my main machine. How do you install RD on the
> 2k server I did from the XP cd I have and it screwed up my
> system and also on the Home edition on my laptop. Any help
> will do thanks.

The ability to act as a "server" with RD must be built into the operating
system--it isn't an add-on.

XP Home does not include that feature.

In Windows 2000 server, you want to add Terminal Services, in Remote
Administration mode. This will give you two desktop sessions in addition to
the console session, for administrator level users. You can't get access to
the console session via Remote Desktop in Windows 2000, unfortunately.