VPN routers / Windows Server 2003

Hi All:

Feel free to redirect me if I'm in the wrong spot.

I am trying to create a VPN connection between Windows XP Pro with our
Windows Server 2003 server. I have a Linksys BEFSX41 at the office with the
latest firmware. At home, I have a Linksys WRT54G, also with the latest
firmware.

I have ports 47 and 1723 forwarded to the server.

I am able to log into the server for about two minutes and then it
disconnects me. If I remove the router at home from the equation, I am able
to log into the server indefinitely. This seems to indicate that the problem
is one of the routers (perhaps the interaction between the two).

I tried using the home router with my computer in the DMZ. I continued to be
unable to connect for more than two minutes.

Any thoughts?

Thanks...

Tony

matt

Try this

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=331816

"td" <td@balh.com> wrote in message
> Hi All:
>
> Feel free to redirect me if I'm in the wrong spot.
>
> I am trying to create a VPN connection between Windows XP Pro with our
> Windows Server 2003 server. I have a Linksys BEFSX41 at the office with
> the
> latest firmware. At home, I have a Linksys WRT54G, also with the latest
> firmware.
>
> I have ports 47 and 1723 forwarded to the server.
>
> I am able to log into the server for about two minutes and then it
> disconnects me. If I remove the router at home from the equation, I am
> able
> to log into the server indefinitely. This seems to indicate that the
> problem
> is one of the routers (perhaps the interaction between the two).
>
> I tried using the home router with my computer in the DMZ. I continued to
> be
> unable to connect for more than two minutes.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks...
>
> Tony

I contacted Microsoft and they said that this fix would not address the
problem, so they would not send the "unofficial" patch to me.

Interestingly, I loaded up Service Pack 2 for Windows XP and now
everything's works.

Thanks...

Tony

"Matt" <nogo@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
> Try this
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=331816
>

> "td" <td@balh.com> wrote in message
>> Hi All:
>>
>> Feel free to redirect me if I'm in the wrong spot.
>>
>> I am trying to create a VPN connection between Windows XP Pro with our
>> Windows Server 2003 server. I have a Linksys BEFSX41 at the office with
>> the
>> latest firmware. At home, I have a Linksys WRT54G, also with the latest
>> firmware.
>>
>> I have ports 47 and 1723 forwarded to the server.
>>
>> I am able to log into the server for about two minutes and then it
>> disconnects me. If I remove the router at home from the equation, I am
>> able
>> to log into the server indefinitely. This seems to indicate that the
>> problem
>> is one of the routers (perhaps the interaction between the two).
>>
>> I tried using the home router with my computer in the DMZ. I continued to
>> be
>> unable to connect for more than two minutes.
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>>
>> Thanks...
>>
>> Tony

Since you have a Linksys router - you may want to consider upgrading
your firmware release. Some non-current firmware revs have problems
with VPNs (or more particularly, PPTP-based VPNs)...

Take a look at the Linksys forum at http://www.broadbandreports.com
for information on the "best" version of the firmware for your
specific device.
---
Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking MVP)

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
Windows Network Technology Community -
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/centers/networking/default.mspx
Windows Home Networking Community -
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/communities/wireless.mspx
---

On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 18:03:55 GMT, "td" <td@balh.com> wrote:

>I contacted Microsoft and they said that this fix would not address the
>problem, so they would not send the "unofficial" patch to me.
>
>Interestingly, I loaded up Service Pack 2 for Windows XP and now
>everything's works.
>
>Thanks...
>
>Tony
>

>"Matt" <nogo@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
>> Try this
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=331816
>>

>> "td" <td@balh.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi All:
>>>
>>> Feel free to redirect me if I'm in the wrong spot.
>>>
>>> I am trying to create a VPN connection between Windows XP Pro with our
>>> Windows Server 2003 server. I have a Linksys BEFSX41 at the office with
>>> the
>>> latest firmware. At home, I have a Linksys WRT54G, also with the latest
>>> firmware.
>>>
>>> I have ports 47 and 1723 forwarded to the server.
>>>
>>> I am able to log into the server for about two minutes and then it
>>> disconnects me. If I remove the router at home from the equation, I am
>>> able
>>> to log into the server indefinitely. This seems to indicate that the
>>> problem
>>> is one of the routers (perhaps the interaction between the two).
>>>
>>> I tried using the home router with my computer in the DMZ. I continued to
>>> be
>>> unable to connect for more than two minutes.
>>>
>>> Any thoughts?
>>>
>>> Thanks...
>>>
>>> Tony

TRENDING THREADS