VPN routers / Windows Server 2003

Hi All:

Feel free to redirect me if I'm in the wrong spot.

I am trying to create a VPN connection between Windows XP Pro with our
Windows Server 2003 server. I have a Linksys BEFSX41 at the office with the
latest firmware. At home, I have a Linksys WRT54G, also with the latest
firmware.

I have ports 47 and 1723 forwarded to the server.

I am able to log into the server for about two minutes and then it
disconnects me. If I remove the router at home from the equation, I am able
to log into the server indefinitely. This seems to indicate that the problem
is one of the routers (perhaps the interaction between the two).

I tried using the home router with my computer in the DMZ. I continued to be
unable to connect for more than two minutes.

Any thoughts?

Thanks...

Tony
3 answers Last reply
More about routers windows server 2003

    Try this

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=331816

    "td" <td@balh.com> wrote in message
    > Hi All:
    >
    > Feel free to redirect me if I'm in the wrong spot.
    >
    > I am trying to create a VPN connection between Windows XP Pro with our
    > Windows Server 2003 server. I have a Linksys BEFSX41 at the office with
    > the
    > latest firmware. At home, I have a Linksys WRT54G, also with the latest
    > firmware.
    >
    > I have ports 47 and 1723 forwarded to the server.
    >
    > I am able to log into the server for about two minutes and then it
    > disconnects me. If I remove the router at home from the equation, I am
    > able
    > to log into the server indefinitely. This seems to indicate that the
    > problem
    > is one of the routers (perhaps the interaction between the two).
    >
    > I tried using the home router with my computer in the DMZ. I continued to
    > be
    > unable to connect for more than two minutes.
    >
    > Any thoughts?
    >
    > Thanks...
    >
    > Tony

    I contacted Microsoft and they said that this fix would not address the
    problem, so they would not send the "unofficial" patch to me.

    Interestingly, I loaded up Service Pack 2 for Windows XP and now
    everything's works.

    Thanks...

    Tony

    "Matt" <nogo@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
    > Try this
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=331816
    >

    > "td" <td@balh.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi All:
    >>
    >> Feel free to redirect me if I'm in the wrong spot.
    >>
    >> I am trying to create a VPN connection between Windows XP Pro with our
    >> Windows Server 2003 server. I have a Linksys BEFSX41 at the office with
    >> the
    >> latest firmware. At home, I have a Linksys WRT54G, also with the latest
    >> firmware.
    >>
    >> I have ports 47 and 1723 forwarded to the server.
    >>
    >> I am able to log into the server for about two minutes and then it
    >> disconnects me. If I remove the router at home from the equation, I am
    >> able
    >> to log into the server indefinitely. This seems to indicate that the
    >> problem
    >> is one of the routers (perhaps the interaction between the two).
    >>
    >> I tried using the home router with my computer in the DMZ. I continued to
    >> be
    >> unable to connect for more than two minutes.
    >>
    >> Any thoughts?
    >>
    >> Thanks...
    >>
    >> Tony

    Since you have a Linksys router - you may want to consider upgrading
    your firmware release. Some non-current firmware revs have problems
    with VPNs (or more particularly, PPTP-based VPNs)...

    Take a look at the Linksys forum at http://www.broadbandreports.com
    for information on the "best" version of the firmware for your
    specific device.
    ---
    Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking MVP)

    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
    Windows Network Technology Community -
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/centers/networking/default.mspx
    Windows Home Networking Community -
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/communities/wireless.mspx
    ---

    On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 18:03:55 GMT, "td" <td@balh.com> wrote:

    >I contacted Microsoft and they said that this fix would not address the
    >problem, so they would not send the "unofficial" patch to me.
    >
    >Interestingly, I loaded up Service Pack 2 for Windows XP and now
    >everything's works.
    >
    >Thanks...
    >
    >Tony
    >

    >"Matt" <nogo@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
    >> Try this
    >>
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=331816
    >>

    >> "td" <td@balh.com> wrote in message
    >>> Hi All:
    >>>
    >>> Feel free to redirect me if I'm in the wrong spot.
    >>>
    >>> I am trying to create a VPN connection between Windows XP Pro with our
    >>> Windows Server 2003 server. I have a Linksys BEFSX41 at the office with
    >>> the
    >>> latest firmware. At home, I have a Linksys WRT54G, also with the latest
    >>> firmware.
    >>>
    >>> I have ports 47 and 1723 forwarded to the server.
    >>>
    >>> I am able to log into the server for about two minutes and then it
    >>> disconnects me. If I remove the router at home from the equation, I am
    >>> able
    >>> to log into the server indefinitely. This seems to indicate that the
    >>> problem
    >>> is one of the routers (perhaps the interaction between the two).
    >>>
    >>> I tried using the home router with my computer in the DMZ. I continued to
    >>> be
    >>> unable to connect for more than two minutes.
    >>>
    >>> Any thoughts?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks...
    >>>
    >>> Tony

Routers Windows Server 2003 Servers Windows XP