How to get rid of jerky looking pans?

When playing DVD's I've made, when viewing on a tv I find that pans tend to
have a "jerky" look to them that doesn't appear in the original video or
film, nor does it appear when viewing on a computer monitor. I've recorded
at the highest data rate that this DC10+ will go - 6000 kbps, both fields,
full resolution, 29.97 fps.

What causes this and is there a way to minimize or eliminate it?

Thanks for any input
3 answers Last reply
More about jerky pans

    "Doc" <docsavage20@xhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > When playing DVD's I've made, when viewing on a tv I find that pans tend
    > have a "jerky" look to them that doesn't appear in the original video or
    > film, nor does it appear when viewing on a computer monitor. I've recorded
    > at the highest data rate that this DC10+ will go - 6000 kbps, both
    fields,
    > full resolution, 29.97 fps.
    >
    > What causes this and is there a way to minimize or eliminate it?

    Sounds like field order inversion. Look for a setting in your MPEG-2
    encoder that allows you to specify which field is first. Then invert the
    setting.

    "FLY135" <fly_135@(hot not not)notmail.com> schreef in bericht

    > "Doc" <docsavage20@xhotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> When playing DVD's I've made, when viewing on a tv I find that pans tend
    >> have a "jerky" look to them that doesn't appear in the original video or
    >> film, nor does it appear when viewing on a computer monitor. I've
    >> recorded
    >> at the highest data rate that this DC10+ will go - 6000 kbps, both
    > fields,
    >> full resolution, 29.97 fps.
    >>
    >> What causes this and is there a way to minimize or eliminate it?
    >
    > Sounds like field order inversion. Look for a setting in your MPEG-2
    > encoder that allows you to specify which field is first. Then invert the
    > setting.

    Fly135 is right, this must be an incorrect field order setting. For analog
    video like captured with the DC10+ the order should be "Top or Upper field
    first" (for DV it is "Bottom field first"). If you re-encode the video with
    the correct setting, the yerkyness will be gone.

    Each frame of video consists of 2 fields, one with the odd lines and one
    with the even lines. An incorrect field order setting can not be seen on
    your PC because there the images are shown per frame of 2 fields each. On
    the TV the images are shown field after field and there the field sequence
    (field order) must be correct. Do not de-interlace the video like another
    poster suggested as this would throw away half the resolution.

    By the way, I have been using the DC10+ for a number of years but have now
    replaced it with a Canopus ADVC-55 external A/D converter. At the much lower
    standard DV bitrate of 3.6 Mbps this gives me a better image quality than
    with the DC10+ at full speed. See www.canopus.com
    --
    Lou van Wijhe
    Website: http://home.hccnet.nl/jl.van.wijhe/

    Doc wrote:

    > When playing DVD's I've made, when viewing on a tv I find that pans
    > tend to have a "jerky" look to them that doesn't appear in the
    > original video or film, nor does it appear when viewing on a computer
    > monitor.

    If you used TMPGEnc to convert an AVI to MPG, then do what I had to
    do: in the "Other settings" area, select the "Advanced" tab and then
    double-click "Deinterlace (None)" and select "Even-Odd field (field,
    adaption)". Then render your AVI. Worked for me! (BTW, this is
    based on video recorded in the PAL format on my MiniDV camcorder).

Tuner Cards Video Graphics