File Sharing IPC$ Problem

This is a re-stating of a problem I posted previously, I hope this one is
more clear

I have two computers connected via an SMC wireless broadband router. A
desktop computer with WindowsXP home edition (SR-1) and a laptop with W98SE.

I have 3 user accounts on the XP machine. Two limited and 1 administror.

Everythng connects up fine and I can share the laptop's files from the
desktop computer.

However, when I attempt to access shared folders on the dektop from the
laptop, I get a dialogue box telling me that I must supply a password to
make a connection to \\Desktop\IPC$.

The help section in Windows describes IPC$ as follows: "A resource that
shares the named pipes that are essential for communication between
programs. You use IPC$ during remote administration of a computer and when
you view a computer's shared resources. You cannot delete this resource"

In any event, I cannot perform any actions in the Computer Management
console other than refresh, so I appear to be stymied. I would really
appreciate if someone could provide me with a solution to this dilema

Thanks

--
Jim McColl
7 answers Last reply

    Jim, did you try using the Administrator password for the XP machine. I had
    the same problem when I first started using W2k, way back when, and using
    the password I'd set up for this machine solved the problem. Hope this
    helps.

    "Jim McColl" <JimMcColl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > This is a re-stating of a problem I posted previously, I hope this one is
    > more clear
    >
    > I have two computers connected via an SMC wireless broadband router. A
    > desktop computer with WindowsXP home edition (SR-1) and a laptop with
    W98SE.

    > I have 3 user accounts on the XP machine. Two limited and 1 administror.
    >
    > Everythng connects up fine and I can share the laptop's files from the
    > desktop computer.
    >
    > However, when I attempt to access shared folders on the dektop from the
    > laptop, I get a dialogue box telling me that I must supply a password to
    > make a connection to \\Desktop\IPC$.
    >
    > The help section in Windows describes IPC$ as follows: "A resource that
    > shares the named pipes that are essential for communication between
    > programs. You use IPC$ during remote administration of a computer and when
    > you view a computer's shared resources. You cannot delete this resource"
    >
    > In any event, I cannot perform any actions in the Computer Management
    > console other than refresh, so I appear to be stymied. I would really
    > appreciate if someone could provide me with a solution to this dilema
    >
    > Thanks
    >

    > --
    > Jim McColl

    Blair - Thanks for the reply. I do not have a password assigned to any of the
    user accounts including the Administrator. If I go into the administrator
    account and select "Manage my Network Passwords", a box is displayed which
    contains blanks indicating, I believe that there are no stored passwords.

    "Jim McColl" wrote:

    > This is a re-stating of a problem I posted previously, I hope this one is
    > more clear
    >
    > I have two computers connected via an SMC wireless broadband router. A
    > desktop computer with WindowsXP home edition (SR-1) and a laptop with W98SE.
    >
    > I have 3 user accounts on the XP machine. Two limited and 1 administror.
    >
    > Everythng connects up fine and I can share the laptop's files from the
    > desktop computer.
    >
    > However, when I attempt to access shared folders on the dektop from the
    > laptop, I get a dialogue box telling me that I must supply a password to
    > make a connection to \\Desktop\IPC$.
    >
    > The help section in Windows describes IPC$ as follows: "A resource that
    > shares the named pipes that are essential for communication between
    > programs. You use IPC$ during remote administration of a computer and when
    > you view a computer's shared resources. You cannot delete this resource"
    >
    > In any event, I cannot perform any actions in the Computer Management
    > console other than refresh, so I appear to be stymied. I would really
    > appreciate if someone could provide me with a solution to this dilema
    >
    > Thanks
    >

    > --
    > Jim McColl

    ipc$ is the windows system share.
    create another share of the hardisk
    and give all access

    mike

    "Blair" <faberman45@nospam.ca> wrote in message
    > Jim, did you try using the Administrator password for the XP machine. I
    had
    > the same problem when I first started using W2k, way back when, and using
    > the password I'd set up for this machine solved the problem. Hope this
    > helps.
    >

    > "Jim McColl" <JimMcColl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > This is a re-stating of a problem I posted previously, I hope this one
    is
    > > more clear
    > >
    > > I have two computers connected via an SMC wireless broadband router. A
    > > desktop computer with WindowsXP home edition (SR-1) and a laptop with
    > W98SE.
    > >
    > > I have 3 user accounts on the XP machine. Two limited and 1 administror.
    > >
    > > Everythng connects up fine and I can share the laptop's files from the
    > > desktop computer.
    > >
    > > However, when I attempt to access shared folders on the dektop from the
    > > laptop, I get a dialogue box telling me that I must supply a password
    > > make a connection to \\Desktop\IPC$.
    > >
    > > The help section in Windows describes IPC$ as follows: "A resource that
    > > shares the named pipes that are essential for communication between
    > > programs. You use IPC$ during remote administration of a computer and
    when
    > > you view a computer's shared resources. You cannot delete this resource"
    > >
    > > In any event, I cannot perform any actions in the Computer Management
    > > console other than refresh, so I appear to be stymied. I would really
    > > appreciate if someone could provide me with a solution to this dilema
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >

    > > --
    > > Jim McColl

    ---

    just go here & all will become clear

    http://www.homenethelp.com/web/howto/win2k-ipc-error.asp

    mike

    > Blair - Thanks for the reply. I do not have a password assigned to any of
    the
    > user accounts including the Administrator. If I go into the administrator
    > account and select "Manage my Network Passwords", a box is displayed which
    > contains blanks indicating, I believe that there are no stored passwords.
    >

    > "Jim McColl" wrote:
    >
    > > This is a re-stating of a problem I posted previously, I hope this one
    is
    > > more clear
    > >
    > > I have two computers connected via an SMC wireless broadband router. A
    > > desktop computer with WindowsXP home edition (SR-1) and a laptop with
    W98SE.

    > > I have 3 user accounts on the XP machine. Two limited and 1 administror.
    > >
    > > Everythng connects up fine and I can share the laptop's files from the
    > > desktop computer.
    > >
    > > However, when I attempt to access shared folders on the dektop from the
    > > laptop, I get a dialogue box telling me that I must supply a password
    > > make a connection to \\Desktop\IPC$.
    > >
    > > The help section in Windows describes IPC$ as follows: "A resource that
    > > shares the named pipes that are essential for communication between
    > > programs. You use IPC$ during remote administration of a computer and
    when
    > > you view a computer's shared resources. You cannot delete this resource"
    > >
    > > In any event, I cannot perform any actions in the Computer Management
    > > console other than refresh, so I appear to be stymied. I would really
    > > appreciate if someone could provide me with a solution to this dilema
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >

    > > --
    > > Jim McColl

    ---

    On XP, accounts that have no password
    can not be accessed from network.
    Set the password to something not blank.
    --PA

    "Jim McColl" <JimMcColl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:08890CE8-B568-448B-B992-CA4D6BB647E5@microsoft.com...
    > Blair - Thanks for the reply. I do not have a password assigned to any of the
    > user accounts including the Administrator. If I go into the administrator
    > account and select "Manage my Network Passwords", a box is displayed which
    > contains blanks indicating, I believe that there are no stored passwords.
    >

    > "Jim McColl" wrote:
    >
    > > This is a re-stating of a problem I posted previously, I hope this one is
    > > more clear
    > >
    > > I have two computers connected via an SMC wireless broadband router. A
    > > desktop computer with WindowsXP home edition (SR-1) and a laptop with W98SE.
    > >
    > > I have 3 user accounts on the XP machine. Two limited and 1 administror.
    > >
    > > Everythng connects up fine and I can share the laptop's files from the
    > > desktop computer.
    > >
    > > However, when I attempt to access shared folders on the dektop from the
    > > laptop, I get a dialogue box telling me that I must supply a password to
    > > make a connection to \\Desktop\IPC$.
    > >
    > > The help section in Windows describes IPC$ as follows: "A resource that
    > > shares the named pipes that are essential for communication between
    > > programs. You use IPC$ during remote administration of a computer and when
    > > you view a computer's shared resources. You cannot delete this resource"
    > >
    > > In any event, I cannot perform any actions in the Computer Management
    > > console other than refresh, so I appear to be stymied. I would really
    > > appreciate if someone could provide me with a solution to this dilema
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >

    > > --
    > > Jim McColl

    Mike & Pavel - First of all Mike the web page you referred me to was bang-on.
    That is exactly the problem I am having. Unfortunately the fix he shows is
    for W2K. I am running WXP Home. In XP Home, user accounts are created from
    the control panel separately and then show up in the Welcome screen.

    I tried Pavel's suggestion of assigning the same password to User "Jim" in
    WXP and also to user "Jim" in W98SE. After I sign on to both computers, I
    attempt to access the desktop computer from the laptop, I still get the
    dreaded IPC$ message. When I try to enter the common password, it doesn't
    work. I still get the message "Password Incorrect Try Again"

    "Pavel A." wrote:

    > On XP, accounts that have no password
    > can not be accessed from network.
    > Set the password to something not blank.
    > --PA
    >
    > "Jim McColl" <JimMcColl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:08890CE8-B568-448B-B992-CA4D6BB647E5@microsoft.com...
    > > Blair - Thanks for the reply. I do not have a password assigned to any of the
    > > user accounts including the Administrator. If I go into the administrator
    > > account and select "Manage my Network Passwords", a box is displayed which
    > > contains blanks indicating, I believe that there are no stored passwords.
    > >

    > > "Jim McColl" wrote:
    > >
    > > > This is a re-stating of a problem I posted previously, I hope this one is
    > > > more clear
    > > >
    > > > I have two computers connected via an SMC wireless broadband router. A
    > > > desktop computer with WindowsXP home edition (SR-1) and a laptop with W98SE.
    > > >
    > > > I have 3 user accounts on the XP machine. Two limited and 1 administror.
    > > >
    > > > Everythng connects up fine and I can share the laptop's files from the
    > > > desktop computer.
    > > >
    > > > However, when I attempt to access shared folders on the dektop from the
    > > > laptop, I get a dialogue box telling me that I must supply a password to
    > > > make a connection to \\Desktop\IPC$.
    > > >
    > > > The help section in Windows describes IPC$ as follows: "A resource that
    > > > shares the named pipes that are essential for communication between
    > > > programs. You use IPC$ during remote administration of a computer and when
    > > > you view a computer's shared resources. You cannot delete this resource"
    > > >
    > > > In any event, I cannot perform any actions in the Computer Management
    > > > console other than refresh, so I appear to be stymied. I would really
    > > > appreciate if someone could provide me with a solution to this dilema
    > > >
    > > > Thanks
    > > >

    > > > --
    > > > Jim McColl

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    sadly i am not an xp man, win2k, as i knew xp would not suit me.
    what happens if you create a new admin account?
    does it cure it for that account, sorry if you've tried this but i've lost
    the plot a bit.

    mike

    > Mike & Pavel - First of all Mike the web page you referred me to was
    bang-on.
    > That is exactly the problem I am having. Unfortunately the fix he shows is
    > for W2K. I am running WXP Home. In XP Home, user accounts are created from
    > the control panel separately and then show up in the Welcome screen.
    >
    > I tried Pavel's suggestion of assigning the same password to User "Jim"
    in
    > WXP and also to user "Jim" in W98SE. After I sign on to both computers, I
    > attempt to access the desktop computer from the laptop, I still get the
    > dreaded IPC$ message. When I try to enter the common password, it doesn't
    > work. I still get the message "Password Incorrect Try Again"
    >

    > "Pavel A." wrote:
    >
    > > On XP, accounts that have no password
    > > can not be accessed from network.
    > > Set the password to something not blank.
    > > --PA
    > >
    > > "Jim McColl" <JimMcColl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Blair - Thanks for the reply. I do not have a password assigned to any
    of the
    > > > user accounts including the Administrator. If I go into the
    administrator
    > > > account and select "Manage my Network Passwords", a box is displayed
    which
    > > > contains blanks indicating, I believe that there are no stored
    passwords.

    Management

    ---

File Sharing Computers Wireless Networking