File Sharing IPC$ Problem

This is a re-stating of a problem I posted previously, I hope this one is
more clear

I have two computers connected via an SMC wireless broadband router. A
desktop computer with WindowsXP home edition (SR-1) and a laptop with W98SE.

I have 3 user accounts on the XP machine. Two limited and 1 administror.

Everythng connects up fine and I can share the laptop's files from the
desktop computer.

However, when I attempt to access shared folders on the dektop from the
laptop, I get a dialogue box telling me that I must supply a password to
make a connection to \\Desktop\IPC$.

The help section in Windows describes IPC$ as follows: "A resource that
shares the named pipes that are essential for communication between
programs. You use IPC$ during remote administration of a computer and when
you view a computer's shared resources. You cannot delete this resource"

In any event, I cannot perform any actions in the Computer Management
console other than refresh, so I appear to be stymied. I would really
appreciate if someone could provide me with a solution to this dilema

Thanks

--
Jim McColl

Blair

Jim, did you try using the Administrator password for the XP machine. I had
the same problem when I first started using W2k, way back when, and using
the password I'd set up for this machine solved the problem. Hope this
helps.

"Jim McColl" <JimMcColl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This is a re-stating of a problem I posted previously, I hope this one is
> more clear
>
> I have two computers connected via an SMC wireless broadband router. A
> desktop computer with WindowsXP home edition (SR-1) and a laptop with
W98SE.

> I have 3 user accounts on the XP machine. Two limited and 1 administror.
>
> Everythng connects up fine and I can share the laptop's files from the
> desktop computer.
>
> However, when I attempt to access shared folders on the dektop from the
> laptop, I get a dialogue box telling me that I must supply a password to
> make a connection to \\Desktop\IPC$.
>
> The help section in Windows describes IPC$ as follows: "A resource that
> shares the named pipes that are essential for communication between
> programs. You use IPC$ during remote administration of a computer and when
> you view a computer's shared resources. You cannot delete this resource"
>
> In any event, I cannot perform any actions in the Computer Management
> console other than refresh, so I appear to be stymied. I would really
> appreciate if someone could provide me with a solution to this dilema
>
> Thanks
>

> --
> Jim McColl

Blair - Thanks for the reply. I do not have a password assigned to any of the
user accounts including the Administrator. If I go into the administrator
account and select "Manage my Network Passwords", a box is displayed which
contains blanks indicating, I believe that there are no stored passwords.

"Jim McColl" wrote:

> This is a re-stating of a problem I posted previously, I hope this one is
> more clear
>
> I have two computers connected via an SMC wireless broadband router. A
> desktop computer with WindowsXP home edition (SR-1) and a laptop with W98SE.
>
> I have 3 user accounts on the XP machine. Two limited and 1 administror.
>
> Everythng connects up fine and I can share the laptop's files from the
> desktop computer.
>
> However, when I attempt to access shared folders on the dektop from the
> laptop, I get a dialogue box telling me that I must supply a password to
> make a connection to \\Desktop\IPC$.
>
> The help section in Windows describes IPC$ as follows: "A resource that
> shares the named pipes that are essential for communication between
> programs. You use IPC$ during remote administration of a computer and when
> you view a computer's shared resources. You cannot delete this resource"
>
> In any event, I cannot perform any actions in the Computer Management
> console other than refresh, so I appear to be stymied. I would really
> appreciate if someone could provide me with a solution to this dilema
>
> Thanks
>

> --
> Jim McColl

Mike

Splendid

ipc$ is the windows system share.
create another share of the hardisk
and give all access

mike

"Blair" <faberman45@nospam.ca> wrote in message
> Jim, did you try using the Administrator password for the XP machine. I
had
> the same problem when I first started using W2k, way back when, and using
> the password I'd set up for this machine solved the problem. Hope this
> helps.
>

> "Jim McColl" <JimMcColl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > This is a re-stating of a problem I posted previously, I hope this one
is
> > more clear
> >
> > I have two computers connected via an SMC wireless broadband router. A
> > desktop computer with WindowsXP home edition (SR-1) and a laptop with
> W98SE.
> >
> > I have 3 user accounts on the XP machine. Two limited and 1 administror.
> >
> > Everythng connects up fine and I can share the laptop's files from the
> > desktop computer.
> >
> > However, when I attempt to access shared folders on the dektop from the
> > laptop, I get a dialogue box telling me that I must supply a password
> > make a connection to \\Desktop\IPC$.
> >
> > The help section in Windows describes IPC$ as follows: "A resource that
> > shares the named pipes that are essential for communication between
> > programs. You use IPC$ during remote administration of a computer and
when
> > you view a computer's shared resources. You cannot delete this resource"
> >
> > In any event, I cannot perform any actions in the Computer Management
> > console other than refresh, so I appear to be stymied. I would really
> > appreciate if someone could provide me with a solution to this dilema
> >
> > Thanks
> >

> > --
> > Jim McColl

---

Mike

Splendid

just go here & all will become clear

http://www.homenethelp.com/web/howto/win2k-ipc-error.asp

mike

> Blair - Thanks for the reply. I do not have a password assigned to any of
the
> user accounts including the Administrator. If I go into the administrator
> account and select "Manage my Network Passwords", a box is displayed which
> contains blanks indicating, I believe that there are no stored passwords.
>

> "Jim McColl" wrote:
>
> > This is a re-stating of a problem I posted previously, I hope this one
is
> > more clear
> >
> > I have two computers connected via an SMC wireless broadband router. A
> > desktop computer with WindowsXP home edition (SR-1) and a laptop with
W98SE.

> > I have 3 user accounts on the XP machine. Two limited and 1 administror.
> >
> > Everythng connects up fine and I can share the laptop's files from the
> > desktop computer.
> >
> > However, when I attempt to access shared folders on the dektop from the
> > laptop, I get a dialogue box telling me that I must supply a password
> > make a connection to \\Desktop\IPC$.
> >
> > The help section in Windows describes IPC$ as follows: "A resource that
> > shares the named pipes that are essential for communication between
> > programs. You use IPC$ during remote administration of a computer and
when
> > you view a computer's shared resources. You cannot delete this resource"
> >
> > In any event, I cannot perform any actions in the Computer Management
> > console other than refresh, so I appear to be stymied. I would really
> > appreciate if someone could provide me with a solution to this dilema
> >
> > Thanks
> >

> > --
> > Jim McColl

---

On XP, accounts that have no password
can not be accessed from network.
Set the password to something not blank.
--PA

"Jim McColl" <JimMcColl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:08890CE8-B568-448B-B992-CA4D6BB647E5@microsoft.com...
> Blair - Thanks for the reply. I do not have a password assigned to any of the
> user accounts including the Administrator. If I go into the administrator
> account and select "Manage my Network Passwords", a box is displayed which
> contains blanks indicating, I believe that there are no stored passwords.
>

> "Jim McColl" wrote:
>
> > This is a re-stating of a problem I posted previously, I hope this one is
> > more clear
> >
> > I have two computers connected via an SMC wireless broadband router. A
> > desktop computer with WindowsXP home edition (SR-1) and a laptop with W98SE.
> >
> > I have 3 user accounts on the XP machine. Two limited and 1 administror.
> >
> > Everythng connects up fine and I can share the laptop's files from the
> > desktop computer.
> >
> > However, when I attempt to access shared folders on the dektop from the
> > laptop, I get a dialogue box telling me that I must supply a password to
> > make a connection to \\Desktop\IPC$.
> >
> > The help section in Windows describes IPC$ as follows: "A resource that
> > shares the named pipes that are essential for communication between
> > programs. You use IPC$ during remote administration of a computer and when
> > you view a computer's shared resources. You cannot delete this resource"
> >
> > In any event, I cannot perform any actions in the Computer Management
> > console other than refresh, so I appear to be stymied. I would really
> > appreciate if someone could provide me with a solution to this dilema
> >
> > Thanks
> >

> > --
> > Jim McColl

Mike & Pavel - First of all Mike the web page you referred me to was bang-on.
That is exactly the problem I am having. Unfortunately the fix he shows is
for W2K. I am running WXP Home. In XP Home, user accounts are created from
the control panel separately and then show up in the Welcome screen.

I tried Pavel's suggestion of assigning the same password to User "Jim" in
WXP and also to user "Jim" in W98SE. After I sign on to both computers, I
attempt to access the desktop computer from the laptop, I still get the
dreaded IPC$ message. When I try to enter the common password, it doesn't
work. I still get the message "Password Incorrect Try Again"

"Pavel A." wrote:

> On XP, accounts that have no password
> can not be accessed from network.
> Set the password to something not blank.
> --PA
>
> "Jim McColl" <JimMcColl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:08890CE8-B568-448B-B992-CA4D6BB647E5@microsoft.com...
> > Blair - Thanks for the reply. I do not have a password assigned to any of the
> > user accounts including the Administrator. If I go into the administrator
> > account and select "Manage my Network Passwords", a box is displayed which
> > contains blanks indicating, I believe that there are no stored passwords.
> >

> > "Jim McColl" wrote:
> >
> > > This is a re-stating of a problem I posted previously, I hope this one is
> > > more clear
> > >
> > > I have two computers connected via an SMC wireless broadband router. A
> > > desktop computer with WindowsXP home edition (SR-1) and a laptop with W98SE.
> > >
> > > I have 3 user accounts on the XP machine. Two limited and 1 administror.
> > >
> > > Everythng connects up fine and I can share the laptop's files from the
> > > desktop computer.
> > >
> > > However, when I attempt to access shared folders on the dektop from the
> > > laptop, I get a dialogue box telling me that I must supply a password to
> > > make a connection to \\Desktop\IPC$.
> > >
> > > The help section in Windows describes IPC$ as follows: "A resource that
> > > shares the named pipes that are essential for communication between
> > > programs. You use IPC$ during remote administration of a computer and when
> > > you view a computer's shared resources. You cannot delete this resource"
> > >
> > > In any event, I cannot perform any actions in the Computer Management
> > > console other than refresh, so I appear to be stymied. I would really
> > > appreciate if someone could provide me with a solution to this dilema
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > >

> > > --
> > > Jim McColl

Mike

Splendid

sadly i am not an xp man, win2k, as i knew xp would not suit me.
what happens if you create a new admin account?
does it cure it for that account, sorry if you've tried this but i've lost
the plot a bit.

mike

> Mike & Pavel - First of all Mike the web page you referred me to was
bang-on.
> That is exactly the problem I am having. Unfortunately the fix he shows is
> for W2K. I am running WXP Home. In XP Home, user accounts are created from
> the control panel separately and then show up in the Welcome screen.
>
> I tried Pavel's suggestion of assigning the same password to User "Jim"
in
> WXP and also to user "Jim" in W98SE. After I sign on to both computers, I
> attempt to access the desktop computer from the laptop, I still get the
> dreaded IPC$ message. When I try to enter the common password, it doesn't
> work. I still get the message "Password Incorrect Try Again"
>

> "Pavel A." wrote:
>
> > On XP, accounts that have no password
> > can not be accessed from network.
> > Set the password to something not blank.
> > --PA
> >
> > "Jim McColl" <JimMcColl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Blair - Thanks for the reply. I do not have a password assigned to any
of the
> > > user accounts including the Administrator. If I go into the
administrator
> > > account and select "Manage my Network Passwords", a box is displayed
which
> > > contains blanks indicating, I believe that there are no stored
passwords.

Management

---