  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
Anonymous
December 27, 2004 10:45:54 PM

We have a two-way radio connected to a PC and some simple sound
activated software that records all voice traffic.

To keep relevant exchanges together in one file, the software is set to
only stop recording after 30 seconds of silence.

This means that all recordings end with exactly 30 seconds of silence.

1. Is there some way we can feed a batch of files into a program and
have the last 30 seconds removed?

2. Can anyone suggest some alternative recording software that will
trim this waste off as it stops recording.

Thanks.
--
Les Desser
(The Reply-to address IS valid)

More about : trim silence end recording

Anonymous
December 27, 2004 10:45:55 PM

"Les Desser" wrote ...
> We have a two-way radio connected to a PC and some simple sound
> activated software that records all voice traffic.
>
> To keep relevant exchanges together in one file, the software is set
> to only stop recording after 30 seconds of silence.
>
> This means that all recordings end with exactly 30 seconds of silence.

I fully understand about waiting 30 seconds to capture the entire
"conversation". However the only excuse for software actually
recording silence is lousy programming. Or is it a user-adjustable
configuration setting somewhere?

> 1. Is there some way we can feed a batch of files into a program and
> have the last 30 seconds removed?

There are some audio edit applications with batch capabilities.
For example, Adobe Audition may do it?

Or if you know the file format (which you didn't mention?), it
might be easy to write a little utility that would chop exactly
30 seconds off each file. Depends on how many files, how
often you need to do this, and how much it is worth to you?

> 2. Can anyone suggest some alternative recording software that will
> trim this waste off as it stops recording.

You didn't mention what software you are using now?
I'd investigate www.highcriteria.com to see if they have something.

You could also complain to the original software vendor and
see if they can fix this brain-dead functionality.
Anonymous
December 28, 2004 2:53:57 AM

In article <10t16gbl1p40l5f@corp.supernews.com>, Richard Crowley
<rcrowley7@xprt.net> Mon, 27 Dec 2004 15:26:00 writes

>"Les Desser" wrote ...
>> We have a two-way radio connected to a PC and some simple sound
>>activated software that records all voice traffic.
>>
>> To keep relevant exchanges together in one file, the software is set
>>to only stop recording after 30 seconds of silence.
>>
>> This means that all recordings end with exactly 30 seconds of silence.
>
>I fully understand about waiting 30 seconds to capture the entire
>"conversation". However the only excuse for software actually
>recording silence is lousy programming. Or is it a user-adjustable
>configuration setting somewhere?

It is intentionally set at 30 seconds as being a reasonable period.

>> 1. Is there some way we can feed a batch of files into a program and
>>have the last 30 seconds removed?
>
>There are some audio edit applications with batch capabilities.
>For example, Adobe Audition may do it?
>
>Or if you know the file format (which you didn't mention?),

MP3
>it
>might be easy to write a little utility that would chop exactly
>30 seconds off each file. Depends on how many files

10-20 per day

>, how
>often you need to do this, and how much it is worth to you?

Charitable organisation - so may be worth a lot but not a lot in the
kitty.

>> 2. Can anyone suggest some alternative recording software that will
>>trim this waste off as it stops recording.
>
>You didn't mention what software you are using now?

Don't know - I will have to check - I suspect it was a free download.

>I'd investigate www.highcriteria.com to see if they have something.

Will do.

>You could also complain to the original software vendor and
>see if they can fix this brain-dead functionality.

To be fair, the functionality is basically fine except for the last step
of rewinding the recording (or buffering it) to chop the last bit.

I will check out the software first - it may be it has the capability
just the users are dumb.

Thanks for your suggestions.