I set up my office computer with remote access. I use a static address over
a t1 line at the office. We attached a laptop to our t1 line, and were able
to access my office computer with no problem. When I got home I tried to log
on to the office computer using a DSL connection. I got a message that the
office computer could not accept the request. I am running xp pro on both
machines. What should I do to get the same connection over dsl that I got
over the t1 line.
--
rose

Are you calling the correct public IP at the remote site?
Any firewalls between the target PC and the public internet? If so, is TCP Port 3389 open?

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Rose" <Rose@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I set up my office computer with remote access. I use a static address over
> a t1 line at the office. We attached a laptop to our t1 line, and were able
> to access my office computer with no problem. When I got home I tried to log
> on to the office computer using a DSL connection. I got a message that the
> office computer could not accept the request. I am running xp pro on both
> machines. What should I do to get the same connection over dsl that I got
> over the t1 line.
> --
> rose

I am using the static address for my work computer. The only firewalls are
the xp pro firewalls as far as I know. Our t1 service is thru Trivergent.
Don't know about port 3389 as I am at home at the moment. Can't understand
why I could log on using the same information from the laptop and can't log
on from home. The computer geek that set up the connection for me can't log
on from home using the same information he set up in the office.

"Sooner Al" wrote:

> Are you calling the correct public IP at the remote site?
> Any firewalls between the target PC and the public internet? If so, is TCP Port 3389 open?
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> "Rose" <Rose@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I set up my office computer with remote access. I use a static address over
> > a t1 line at the office. We attached a laptop to our t1 line, and were able
> > to access my office computer with no problem. When I got home I tried to log
> > on to the office computer using a DSL connection. I got a message that the
> > office computer could not accept the request. I am running xp pro on both
> > machines. What should I do to get the same connection over dsl that I got
> > over the t1 line.
> > --
> > rose

Some one please help. I have tried everything I can think of and cant find
hwo to access port 3389 to open it.

"Rose" wrote:

> I am using the static address for my work computer. The only firewalls are
> the xp pro firewalls as far as I know. Our t1 service is thru Trivergent.
> Don't know about port 3389 as I am at home at the moment. Can't understand
> why I could log on using the same information from the laptop and can't log
> on from home. The computer geek that set up the connection for me can't log
> on from home using the same information he set up in the office.
>
> "Sooner Al" wrote:
>
> > Are you calling the correct public IP at the remote site?
> > Any firewalls between the target PC and the public internet? If so, is TCP Port 3389 open?
> >
> > --
> > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
> >
> > Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual benefit of all of us...
> > The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights...
> >
> > "Rose" <Rose@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I set up my office computer with remote access. I use a static address over
> > > a t1 line at the office. We attached a laptop to our t1 line, and were able
> > > to access my office computer with no problem. When I got home I tried to log
> > > on to the office computer using a DSL connection. I got a message that the
> > > office computer could not accept the request. I am running xp pro on both
> > > machines. What should I do to get the same connection over dsl that I got
> > > over the t1 line.
> > > --
> > > rose

Thank you for your assistance. I found out the I was using the static ip
address for my computer, but NuVox/Trivergent has that address assigned to an
external ip address. I changed the address I was using to the external
address and it works perfect. I appreciate all the setup information I was
able to get from reading posting of other problems. Thank you again.

"Sooner Al" wrote:

> Are you calling the correct public IP at the remote site?
> Any firewalls between the target PC and the public internet? If so, is TCP Port 3389 open?
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> "Rose" <Rose@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I set up my office computer with remote access. I use a static address over
> > a t1 line at the office. We attached a laptop to our t1 line, and were able
> > to access my office computer with no problem. When I got home I tried to log
> > on to the office computer using a DSL connection. I got a message that the
> > office computer could not accept the request. I am running xp pro on both
> > machines. What should I do to get the same connection over dsl that I got
> > over the t1 line.
> > --
> > rose

Glad that worked for ya... When I saw your earlier post - I noted
that you had a T1 connected... It would be rare for you to have a
real static IP if you have a T1 involved...

:)
---
Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking MVP)

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
Windows Network Technology Community -
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/centers/networking/default.mspx
Windows Home Networking Community -
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/communities/wireless.mspx

On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 13:27:02 -0700, "Rose"
<Rose@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Thank you for your assistance. I found out the I was using the static ip
>address for my computer, but NuVox/Trivergent has that address assigned to an
>external ip address. I changed the address I was using to the external
>address and it works perfect. I appreciate all the setup information I was
>able to get from reading posting of other problems. Thank you again.
>
>"Sooner Al" wrote:
>
>> Are you calling the correct public IP at the remote site?
>> Any firewalls between the target PC and the public internet? If so, is TCP Port 3389 open?
>>
>> --
>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

>> "Rose" <Rose@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I set up my office computer with remote access. I use a static address over
>> > a t1 line at the office. We attached a laptop to our t1 line, and were able
>> > to access my office computer with no problem. When I got home I tried to log
>> > on to the office computer using a DSL connection. I got a message that the
>> > office computer could not accept the request. I am running xp pro on both
>> > machines. What should I do to get the same connection over dsl that I got
>> > over the t1 line.
>> > --
>> > rose

Thank you. That was the one piece of information that I could not find in
any other questions. They all talked about dial up, dsl and wireless, but I
seemed to be the only one who has a T1 line. I know now the difference
between a real external ip and one within a T1 address which is a secondary
to the external. I could have saved myself several days of reading with this
tidbit. I hope this helps someone else.