help please..only answers

hi i have a pc with internet cable connection at home...what i want to do is
from my office pc i want to establish a dialup connection to my pc at home
and gain internet access and access my pc files(just like being my own ISP).i
know it can be done but what is the procedure.thanks

im using win xp on my pc's
8 answers Last reply
More about help please only answers

    If the PC at home has a dial modem attached you can configure XP as a Remote Access Server so you
    can dial directly into the PC from work via a telephone connection. Is that what you want to do? If
    so here are the instructions to setup XP as a RAS box...

    Configure RAS on Windows XP

    To configure the computer for incoming connections, follow these steps:
    1.. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
    2.. Click Network and Internet Connections, and then click Network Connections.
    3.. Double-click Create a new connection to start the New Connection Wizard.
    4.. Under Network Connection Type, click Set up an advanced connection, and then click Next.
    5.. Click Accept incoming connections, and then click Next.
    6.. Click the modem from the list of devices, and then click Next.
    7.. Select either of the options to allow Virtual Private Connections, and then click Next.
    8.. Click to select the check boxes for the users whom you want to be able to authenticate when
    the device connects to the computer, and then click Next.
    9.. Make sure that the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) check box is selected, click Next, and then
    click Finish.

    If the office PC is on a LAN and has access to the public internet you can use Remote Desktop *IF*
    the home PC is running *XP Pro* and is connected to the public internet through the cable ISP and is
    turned on...If your home PC is behind a firewall/NAT/router then open TCP Port 3389.

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/mobility/getstarted/remoteintro.mspx

    --
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    "mike" <mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > hi i have a pc with internet cable connection at home...what i want to do is
    > from my office pc i want to establish a dialup connection to my pc at home
    > and gain internet access and access my pc files(just like being my own ISP).i
    > know it can be done but what is the procedure.thanks
    >
    > im using win xp on my pc's

    almost there...my point is i want to establish my home pc like an ISP. MY ofc
    pc will connect to my home pc using my 56k modem and gain internet access
    thru my cable internet at home..thanks again.

    office pc has a 56k modem and home pc has 56k and cable modem.

    "Sooner Al" wrote:

    > If the PC at home has a dial modem attached you can configure XP as a Remote Access Server so you
    > can dial directly into the PC from work via a telephone connection. Is that what you want to do? If
    > so here are the instructions to setup XP as a RAS box...
    >
    > Configure RAS on Windows XP
    >
    > To configure the computer for incoming connections, follow these steps:
    > 1.. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
    > 2.. Click Network and Internet Connections, and then click Network Connections.
    > 3.. Double-click Create a new connection to start the New Connection Wizard.
    > 4.. Under Network Connection Type, click Set up an advanced connection, and then click Next.
    > 5.. Click Accept incoming connections, and then click Next.
    > 6.. Click the modem from the list of devices, and then click Next.
    > 7.. Select either of the options to allow Virtual Private Connections, and then click Next.
    > 8.. Click to select the check boxes for the users whom you want to be able to authenticate when
    > the device connects to the computer, and then click Next.
    > 9.. Make sure that the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) check box is selected, click Next, and then
    > click Finish.
    >
    > If the office PC is on a LAN and has access to the public internet you can use Remote Desktop *IF*
    > the home PC is running *XP Pro* and is connected to the public internet through the cable ISP and is
    > turned on...If your home PC is behind a firewall/NAT/router then open TCP Port 3389.
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/mobility/getstarted/remoteintro.mspx
    >
    > --
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    > "mike" <mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > hi i have a pc with internet cable connection at home...what i want to do is
    > > from my office pc i want to establish a dialup connection to my pc at home
    > > and gain internet access and access my pc files(just like being my own ISP).i
    > > know it can be done but what is the procedure.thanks
    > >
    > > im using win xp on my pc's

    You could try setting up ICS on the home machine to share your cable ISP. I have never tested that
    personally so I really can't say if it will work or not...

    --

    > almost there...my point is i want to establish my home pc like an ISP. MY ofc
    > pc will connect to my home pc using my 56k modem and gain internet access
    > thru my cable internet at home..thanks again.
    >
    > office pc has a 56k modem and home pc has 56k and cable modem.
    >
    > "Sooner Al" wrote:
    >
    >> If the PC at home has a dial modem attached you can configure XP as a Remote Access Server so you
    >> can dial directly into the PC from work via a telephone connection. Is that what you want to do?
    >> If
    >> so here are the instructions to setup XP as a RAS box...
    >>
    >> Configure RAS on Windows XP
    >>
    >> To configure the computer for incoming connections, follow these steps:
    >> 1.. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
    >> 2.. Click Network and Internet Connections, and then click Network Connections.
    >> 3.. Double-click Create a new connection to start the New Connection Wizard.
    >> 4.. Under Network Connection Type, click Set up an advanced connection, and then click Next.
    >> 5.. Click Accept incoming connections, and then click Next.
    >> 6.. Click the modem from the list of devices, and then click Next.
    >> 7.. Select either of the options to allow Virtual Private Connections, and then click Next.
    >> 8.. Click to select the check boxes for the users whom you want to be able to authenticate when
    >> the device connects to the computer, and then click Next.
    >> 9.. Make sure that the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) check box is selected, click Next, and then
    >> click Finish.
    >>
    >> If the office PC is on a LAN and has access to the public internet you can use Remote Desktop
    >> *IF*
    >> the home PC is running *XP Pro* and is connected to the public internet through the cable ISP and
    >> is
    >> turned on...If your home PC is behind a firewall/NAT/router then open TCP Port 3389.
    >>
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/mobility/getstarted/remoteintro.mspx
    >>
    >> --
    >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    >> "mike" <mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > hi i have a pc with internet cable connection at home...what i want to do is
    >> > from my office pc i want to establish a dialup connection to my pc at home
    >> > and gain internet access and access my pc files(just like being my own ISP).i
    >> > know it can be done but what is the procedure.thanks
    >> >
    >> > im using win xp on my pc's

    "mike" <mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > i want to establish my home pc like an ISP. MY ofc
    > pc will connect to my home pc using my 56k modem and gain internet access
    > thru my cable internet at home..thanks again.
    >
    > office pc has a 56k modem and home pc has 56k and cable modem.

    Just set up an "Incoming Connection" for the dial-modem on your home PC, and
    dial to it from the office PC.

    But if your office PC has internet access, it would be better to create an
    "Incoming Connection" as a VPN on the cable connection, and make VPN calls
    to it over the internet.

    --
    Robin Walker
    rdhw@cam.ac.uk

    ok ill try but what if i dont have an internet connection at my office and i
    would like to dial up to my pc at home to gain internet access..just like
    have a free ISP. thanks again

    "Robin Walker" wrote:

    > "mike" <mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > i want to establish my home pc like an ISP. MY ofc
    > > pc will connect to my home pc using my 56k modem and gain internet access
    > > thru my cable internet at home..thanks again.
    > >
    > > office pc has a 56k modem and home pc has 56k and cable modem.
    >
    > Just set up an "Incoming Connection" for the dial-modem on your home PC, and
    > dial to it from the office PC.
    >
    > But if your office PC has internet access, it would be better to create an
    > "Incoming Connection" as a VPN on the cable connection, and make VPN calls
    > to it over the internet.
    >
    > --
    > Robin Walker
    > rdhw@cam.ac.uk

    Could anyone explain how to figure out the name of the computer? I am trying
    to gain access to my home computer from my parent's residence. Do I need an
    IP address or do I use one of my usernames? Thanks

    "mike" wrote:

    > ok ill try but what if i dont have an internet connection at my office and i
    > would like to dial up to my pc at home to gain internet access..just like
    > have a free ISP. thanks again
    >
    > "Robin Walker" wrote:
    >
    > > "mike" <mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > i want to establish my home pc like an ISP. MY ofc
    > > > pc will connect to my home pc using my 56k modem and gain internet access
    > > > thru my cable internet at home..thanks again.
    > > >
    > > > office pc has a 56k modem and home pc has 56k and cable modem.
    > >
    > > Just set up an "Incoming Connection" for the dial-modem on your home PC, and
    > > dial to it from the office PC.
    > >
    > > But if your office PC has internet access, it would be better to create an
    > > "Incoming Connection" as a VPN on the cable connection, and make VPN calls
    > > to it over the internet.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Robin Walker
    > > rdhw@cam.ac.uk

    You need the IP address currently assigned to your home computer's Internet
    connection.

    "Sean" <Sean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Could anyone explain how to figure out the name of the computer? I am
    > trying
    > to gain access to my home computer from my parent's residence. Do I need
    > an
    > IP address or do I use one of my usernames? Thanks
    >
    > "mike" wrote:
    >
    >> ok ill try but what if i dont have an internet connection at my office
    >> and i
    >> would like to dial up to my pc at home to gain internet access..just like
    >> have a free ISP. thanks again
    >>
    >> "Robin Walker" wrote:
    >>
    >> > "mike" <mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    >> > Just set up an "Incoming Connection" for the dial-modem on your home
    >> > PC, and
    >> > dial to it from the office PC.
    >> >
    >> > But if your office PC has internet access, it would be better to create
    >> > an
    >> > "Incoming Connection" as a VPN on the cable connection, and make VPN
    >> > calls
    >> > to it over the internet.
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > Robin Walker
    >> > rdhw@cam.ac.uk

    Install WebEx Access Anywhere on your home PC and you can access your
    home PC from any PC that has a browser. It is having a promotion that
    you can try it for free until 2005.

    http://www.webex.com/go?accessone

    Give it a try and see if it solves your problem.

    Jason

    "mike" <mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<FE2C0504-2F50-4544-9424-5622852946E1@microsoft.com>...
    > hi i have a pc with internet cable connection at home...what i want to do is
    > from my office pc i want to establish a dialup connection to my pc at home
    > and gain internet access and access my pc files(just like being my own ISP).i
    > know it can be done but what is the procedure.thanks
    >
    > im using win xp on my pc's

Internet Service Providers Connection Windows XP