Good entry-level DVD authoring tool?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 28, 2004 7:54:59 PM

Hello all,
I'm currently using Sonic MyDVD LE, which is the pared down version
that comes free with new DELL computers. It suits my needs just fine
with a few exceptions:

1. Can't create a different background / video track for each menu (it
appears to use the same selection for all menus).
2. Would like to place the buttons where I choose, rather than the
default locations.
3. Change the appearance of the menu buttons (minor).

I don't really need the power of the expensive tools... can anyone name
a low budget tool that is similar to MyDVD LE with the above
exceptions?

thanks much
dave
Anonymous
December 29, 2004 9:19:38 AM

<davepkz@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello all,
> I'm currently using Sonic MyDVD LE, which is the pared down version
> that comes free with new DELL computers. It suits my needs just fine
> with a few exceptions:
>
> 1. Can't create a different background / video track for each menu (it
> appears to use the same selection for all menus).
> 2. Would like to place the buttons where I choose, rather than the
> default locations.
> 3. Change the appearance of the menu buttons (minor).
>
> I don't really need the power of the expensive tools... can anyone name
> a low budget tool that is similar to MyDVD LE with the above
> exceptions?
>
> thanks much
> dave

Check out Pegasys at http://www.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/tda.html
I have not used it, but many who have have been happy with it (I am
planning to experiment with it now that the Christmas rush of cards/
calendars/newsletters/etc is done !!). Everybody has a different set
of things they want a DVD authoring tool to do - this one seems to
have lots of features. Also, check out http://www.videohelp.com/
if you have not snooped around there -- LOTS of good information
on tools, tutorials etc.
mikey
Anonymous
December 29, 2004 9:19:39 AM

"Mike F" <spam_me_not_mr.gadget2@comcast.net> wrote in message

> <davepkz@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hello all,
>> I'm currently using Sonic MyDVD LE, which is the pared down version
>> that comes free with new DELL computers. It suits my needs just fine
>> with a few exceptions:
>>
>> 1. Can't create a different background / video track for each menu (it
>> appears to use the same selection for all menus).
>> 2. Would like to place the buttons where I choose, rather than the
>> default locations.
>> 3. Change the appearance of the menu buttons (minor).
>>
>> I don't really need the power of the expensive tools... can anyone name
>> a low budget tool that is similar to MyDVD LE with the above
>> exceptions?
>>
>> thanks much
>> dave
>>

> Check out Pegasys at http://www.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/tda.html
> I have not used it, but many who have have been happy with it (I am
> planning to experiment with it now that the Christmas rush of cards/
> calendars/newsletters/etc is done !!). Everybody has a different set
> of things they want a DVD authoring tool to do - this one seems to
> have lots of features. Also, check out http://www.videohelp.com/
> if you have not snooped around there -- LOTS of good information
> on tools, tutorials etc.
> mikey

All good advice. I am one of those who really like, and use TDA.
With TDA you can change almost anything, to change a background
image or motion clip, you just click on the background. This will bring
up a file selection window.

To be able to move any of the components of a menu, you have to
make your own "Menu Theme", but it is very easy (pick this, pick that
from an expanded listing). You will want to make your own anyway,
to have ones ready to go for things that you frequently author. Once
you have your own theme, it will be totally editable.

You can make your own buttons, if you can use a layer capable graphic
program like PhotoShop or the free GIMP2. I have a trick I use that
allows you to make any area of the background function as a button.

Luck;
Ken
December 29, 2004 10:02:15 AM

On 28 Dec 2004 16:54:59 -0800, davepkz@hotmail.com wrote:

>Hello all,
>I'm currently using Sonic MyDVD LE, which is the pared down version
>that comes free with new DELL computers. It suits my needs just fine
>with a few exceptions:
>
>1. Can't create a different background / video track for each menu (it
>appears to use the same selection for all menus).
>2. Would like to place the buttons where I choose, rather than the
>default locations.
>3. Change the appearance of the menu buttons (minor).
>
>I don't really need the power of the expensive tools... can anyone name
>a low budget tool that is similar to MyDVD LE with the above
>exceptions?
>
>thanks much
>dave

DVDLAB is only about $100. Once you get the hang of it, it is
incredibly powerful and yet simple to use. I think they still have a
30 day trial.
Anonymous
December 29, 2004 12:48:43 PM

On 28 Dec 2004 16:54:59 -0800, davepkz@hotmail.com wrote:

>Hello all,
>I'm currently using Sonic MyDVD LE, which is the pared down version
>that comes free with new DELL computers. It suits my needs just fine
>with a few exceptions:
>
>1. Can't create a different background / video track for each menu (it
>appears to use the same selection for all menus).
>2. Would like to place the buttons where I choose, rather than the
>default locations.
>3. Change the appearance of the menu buttons (minor).
>
>I don't really need the power of the expensive tools... can anyone name
>a low budget tool that is similar to MyDVD LE with the above
>exceptions?
>
>thanks much
>dave
Again you have a version just workable enough to make you want more
and buy more. If you can afford $60 wait until Pinnacle Studio
version 9 goes on sale (usually not advertised) at such stores as Best
Buy, CompUSA, or Frys. I have seen it even cheaper at Compusa.
Whatever you do please do not pick up a SE copy of this program since
it also very limited. Not sure how you are capturing your video but
if you are using a MiniDV camera you will also get capturing and
burning with the program. I know when you use it and see what it can
do with menus, transitions, and video corrections of contrast.
brightness and a ton of others, you will never be sorry.
December 29, 2004 2:52:58 PM

davepkz@hotmail.com wrote:
> Hello all,
> I'm currently using Sonic MyDVD LE, which is the pared down version
> that comes free with new DELL computers. It suits my needs just fine
> with a few exceptions:
>
> 1. Can't create a different background / video track for each menu (it
> appears to use the same selection for all menus).
> 2. Would like to place the buttons where I choose, rather than the
> default locations.
> 3. Change the appearance of the menu buttons (minor).
>
> I don't really need the power of the expensive tools... can anyone
> name a low budget tool that is similar to MyDVD LE with the above
> exceptions?
>
> thanks much
> dave

Dave.
If all you want to do is just change the background picture this can be
done easily. They are .bmp files and are stored here:
C:\Program Files\HP CD-DVD\MyDVD\Styles\NTSC\Default
Styles\Parchment\Parchment_Bkg.jpg (on my system)
I first used this application also as it came with my DVD burner. You could
also find the images used as menu icons and change them I am sure. About
placing them where ever you like this may be a bit harder.
I also use Pinnacle Studio and would recommend this as well.

J.
!